Sac Republic FC affiliation with Timbers & Quakes??

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Jul 24, 2013.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So mlssoccer.com doesn't actually know what's going on in MLS? That should frighten and disappoint us all.

3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've wondered whether mlssoccer.com merely acts like an independent news organization, or if the league has actually set-up a "firewall" between the people-in-the-know and the website, forcing the website to operate as if it was a separate news-reporting org.

Like you, I would expect mlssoccer.com to at least know if the affiliation is "being discussed" or "possible" or something like that. Reportedly? Thanks for nuthin'.

4. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I actually like that they discuss things from a fan perspective, beyond the corporate curtain, but it's all pretty futile if the official website can offer only stabs in the dark.

5. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agree. I'm pretty comfortable believing info published on mlssoccer.com.

Until they really screw the pooch, that is:p

6. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Did any Sac Fans watch the MLS Draft for who the Timbers picked. I have a feeling you could get one or two of them. Third and forth round of draft is next Tuesday too if you are interested.

7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, don't know much other than the short bios/highlight videos on the draft website. The forward doesn't look very impressive, but the defender and midfielder look like solid talent out of college. Big bodies, not surprising Portland's style. I'm sure we'll see a couple of guys if they don't make the regular 18 up there.

8. puma pride

puma pride Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Dual affiliation coming. Quakes and Timbers.

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and you know this, how?

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With 2 affiliations, will Sac and Preki have any room on the roster for their own players?

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an informed statement or wild speculation?

12. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    If that is true I wonder if it's due to the Quakes making a big stink.

13. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, that would require MLS bending established rules, and they would never...

Oh

Nevermind.

;)

14. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporting KC is doing it the split affiliation thing with OCSC and OKC this year...so I don't know if this idea is too far fetched or outside of the rules.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well other than being the complete opposite.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  16. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes it is the complete opposite. I will gladly withdraw my previous post in shame....thank you for the polite beat down that I deserved.

17. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see what a drawback would be to MLS or Sacramento to this "Dual Affiliation" would be. If this were to happen it indicates to me that there would be less of the arguement of people claiming that MLS teams just dictate to their USL affiliates how they want their players trained/played. You couldn't keep two MLS teams happy as a USL club. Benefits would be that Scramento would have 8 or more players off of their cap allowing them to put more money into the rest of their roster ... or more money into marketing and fan experience which can only help a USL team. Until there are more USL teams I don't see how this is an issue to be honest ... even if it did develop because of San Jose crying about the Timbers coming into their area.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, if Portland wanted Sac to use their players one way and SJ wanted them used another, then neither are happy. If they just want a random team in the same time zone to play their players, then I guess there's no problem.

19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, ideally Sac gets to chose how they use the players made available to them. Orlando did this last year (didn't start the loaned GK from SKC and the attacking mid wasn't a sure fire starter ... and obviously Dom made it easy to see that he was talented enough to start) ... and didn't play the same formation or really style as SKC. If it works that way where they do play the same formation/style then great, but I hope that the USL affiliates keep their own identity and try to use the loaned players the best way they can. Those players need to earn their spots and not have it be "given". That will keep the USL from being a "farm league" and help the players develop by earning minutes at the same time. No favors given to the MLS club ... ideally everyone wins in this case.

20. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think it could work. The MLS clubs might not even have to send four each, maybe only 2 or 3. I'm sure it helps having a strong Republic management team, and a coach like Preki that won't roll over (hopefully)

21. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still skeptical it would happen, but Preki could likely make it work. Don't think he'd have an issue with not having "his" players there.

22. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind sending Adam Jahn and JJ Koval to you guys. Would be a awkward situation for me because i'd want the Portland players to do terribly and the Quakes players to do well..

23. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Ha rules. The USL is lawless!

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less worried about rules this early in the MLS/USL partnership and more interested in any additional development of young MLS players.

25. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Press Conference is on Thursday if they can get everyone together. Apparently it will be a dual affiliation.

QuietType repped this.