Sac Republic FC affiliation with Timbers & Quakes??

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Jul 24, 2013.

1. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Possible? Likely? Anyone have insight, or inside knowledge? I think it would be beneficial to Sac, adding credibility to their start-up for the "casual fan"

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if it will come to pass, but I would be stoked if it did. There are several young players on the 'Quakes roster who would benefit from more consistent playing time than the MLS reserve league, which is only 10 games this season.

That being said, the 'Quakes don't have a long history of loaning out players. I can only think of two of the top of my head. Justin Morrow probably benefited from his loan to Orlando City (I think it was Orlando) three or four years ago, but I think his loan spell was pretty brief.

I have no idea what the 'Quakes are thinking about this. Wish I did.

3. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Not SJE but it will be PT. Stay tuned as shit is going to hit the ceiling fan:)

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think SJ is the obvious (and best) choice given proximity and the existing market, but I know this ownership group has ties to Portland and recently went up there, so I'm really not sure what they're going to do the consensus seems to be it will be either of those teams. I have a feeling that Smith and the ownership team is leaning towards Portland, whereas the fan base and market are leaning towards SJ. Portland makes sense in that they are a successful example to follow, but they are just not as good a choice as the existing NorCal MLS team.

Having your affiliated club 2 hours away as opposed to 9 is a big deal. I can see a lot more Sacramento fans making a day trip to SJ and vice versa, whereas to Portland it's a multiple day trip, or expensive flights. It's also a matter of convenience for players and coaches. A guy can be loaned out that day and make the game in town that evening if new be, and perhaps still live at their home rather than a visiting hotel or something. There are already many established SJ fans in Sacramento, given they've been the only NorCal pro team for years, and it might be a little strange cheering on a Portland loaner to succeed...

I know they have been soliciting input from fans and asking what their favorite team(s) are, so they can't ignore the demographics. Not too many Timbers fans in Sacramento.. (Yet?..)..

I got to talk to Warren briefly on Sac Soccer Day and he said he knows both Dave Kaval and Merritt Paulson.. I hope Dave is guiding him the the better of his options. ;)

5. blueballs69

blueballs69 Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    expect announcement on friday. hearing you will be getting a coach from timbers too. don't know why san jose didn't want in. might want to ask warren.

6. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    May work out better that we affiliate with a team farther away. Instead of developing a little brother relationship with the Quakes, we can develop a rivalry when our team plays their Reserve squad (assuming they don't affiliate with someone else).

I don't follow Portland, but will root for any player wearing the Crimson, White and Goldish-brown-tanish (whatever third color) of the Republic.

W. Smith seems like a pretty smart guy. He's going to develop the relationships needed to grease the MLS-to-Sac wheels. Coat tailing a team that made the jump in the same way we intend may be a pretty good strategy.

Bosnian Diamond and QuietType repped this.
  7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points, 30king. That may indeed be a plus if things go that way.

Blueballs, do you have inside info from somewhere? How do you know they will announce this tomorrow?

8. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland? Yuck. It would probably a smart move, but as a fan of both SJ and Sacramento a partnership with Portland would be a weird situation. Portland is not a team I like, and it would be a little harder to root for players still on the books there (assuming a loan situation) because a player who had success on loan in Sacramento would just head back to Portland to contribute to their efforts in MLS.

9. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Still better than a partnership w/ the Gals ;)

10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My son is pulling for a Gal affiliation. He is under the impression we'll get Dovovan up here (one of his favorite players).

He's 9

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Have him start posting here, he will fit right in.:)

12. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I remember about 10 years ago The Gals played a friendly in Hughes vs. Nexaca.

13. sjsuvc2

sjsuvc2 Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Corvallis , Oregon
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are two sides to this, 1) maybe SRFC don't want to be labeled as a minor league affiliate since there obvious ambitions are to get to mls and would want to build there fan base up. 2) working with the quakes could be very beneficial and help them learn how to run a mls organization m which in the long run will help them prepare for a mls bid.

maybe link up with the quakes but also keep a open relationship with Portland and schedule friendlies against both clubs.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooooo....was there an announcement last Friday?

15. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crickets.

16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you have an update?

17. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    to be fair, he didn't say "which" Friday =-)

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ugh, Portland? That would really sour me on this whole thing. Hopefully the team remains largely independent with loans from whomever seeks to loan their players to Sac. Even a Quakes partnership would feel weird in a soccer context.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I see this partnership more as an MLS mentorship. And I'd much rather see this team mentor under Portland than San Jose.

20. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well this new Sacramento team has little heritage, too, so I guess that's more appropriate.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of how to establish and launch the team and its presence in the local community, I would sadly have to agree with you there.

22. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If it got us to the MLS, I'd mentor under the Chivas.....................(that was a joke,.........Seriously!!)

mangerson repped this.
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So not this Friday, either?

24. mangerson

mangerson Member+