S8C. :: 2005 Scarf Contest [RESULTS]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by murtaugh29, Dec 4, 2004.

1. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    FINAL SCARF CONTEST RESULTS

Entries receiving less than 2% of the vote are omitted.

Top 3 in BOLD.
    TU09 :: 14%
    LM03 :: 10%
    LM06 :: 10%
    LM08 :: 09%
    TU08 :: 09%
    TU01 :: 08%
    TU12 :: 08%
    LM01 :: 06%
    LM02 :: 03%
    TU10 :: 03%
    LM05 :: 03%
    TU06 :: 03%
    LM10 :: 02%

Your Top Three, guaranteed to be made for 2005 --
    1. TU09
    [​IMG]

2. LM03
    [​IMG]

3. LM06
    [​IMG]

Several designs are being considered to be made, additionally. All scarves may have minor adjustments made before production. Final 2005 Scarf and Merchandise lineup can be seen soon at section8chicago.com.

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------

Nearly 400 votes cast : VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Biggest story today: the Tino Palace/AntiDallas scarf missed the top 3 by ONE VOTE.

Second biggest story is maybe the LM02 design and the LM09. LM02 tripled its previous vote count just Friday. I think maybe calling attention to it on the BS boards earned more votes for it as it might have been lost in the shuffle.

LM09 sextupled its vote count friday. Maybe people just didn't notice it before.

I think the great designs were crowdpleasers for the TU designs but their similarity may have hurt the vote count for some of them. The one chosen is an excellent scarf and will sell very well, I think.

2. ChgoFireFan

ChgoFireFan New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    SW Suburbs
    Outstanding !!!

Any announcement forthcoming on when they will be available?

3. ChgoFireFan

ChgoFireFan New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    SW Suburbs

Sorry.. just saw this.

Final 2005 Scarf and Merchandise lineup can be seen soon at section8chicago.com.

4. I suggest you start checking section8chicago.com boards. Everything is there. Scarves are coming really soon.

5. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    IMO stars should be used only after each championship won. I should be deserved. I would go for the second one with four stars but within Illinois' flag.

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Don't remember which these are, and ya pulled em already from the site :p

7. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Exactly!

Also: Sextupled! Woo-hoo! (That probably just means "sixfold" or something, but it sounds kinky!)

8. I am experiencing the same difficulty :) . No chance to see which designs lost....

9. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Sorry. This afternoon after the S8C meeting we'll be deciding which add'l designs will be made and we'll post the full list and results.

to see all the designs you can also see here

10. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I'm generally not a big fan of spanish on scarves (seeing as I don't speak spanish) but I absolutely love the design of the siempre chicago scarf. That's great work right there Liam.

11. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not a member of S8C, but I really like the scarf that is based on the Chicago Flag, which was #2. With the new Flag uniform coming out next year, that is an awesome scarf to complement it on game days.

Plus, the 4 stars, and F,I,R,E on the other side make a nice fit. Good job.

12. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not good at drawing or anything... but maybe one scarf can have the phrase, "From The Ashes" on it, to signify how the City of Chicago literally rose from the ashes after the 1871 Fire to become the City it is today.

And, of course, if it wasn't for the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, then our beloved team wouldn't exist... at least in namesake.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, since I speak spanish, I had reservations about the Spanish on the scarf as well.

Liam really did do a fantastic job on it though. It's certainly the slickest scarf I've seen.

14. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I, on the other hand, love the Spanish (the language, the women, . . .) but couldn't bring myself to vote for that with a fist that looked like it came out of the Franco era.

15. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    umm...just for the record (in case it was misunderstood) I am not anti spanish people, language or anything. I just think that I should be able to understand my scarves without a dictionary and that generally american teams should have gear written in english. Just a general feeling for me personally. Obviously if I spoke spanish I wouldn't have an issue with it. It's like at US games when we chant Estados Unidos (even when we aren't playing against a spanish speaking team), it seems somewhat silly to me.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and La Maquina roja is such a blatant Toluca rip off.

Now, I like Liam's borrowed elements as much as anyone, and most of them work great, but when the hispanic audience that our team is going after is more familier with the REAL maquina roja, it kinda takes away from the effect.

I can't tell you how many hispanics I've seen at Fire games making some kind of snide comment about the banner.

That said, I think it's pretty cool. I just wish we had come up with it first.

17. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Strangely enough, from what I hear people like the fist logo better than the star logo. Maybe some people have other connotations with it but I don't think it precludes its use (as much as, say, a facist eagle would or something). Whatever, though.

Also, for the LMR phrase I had no idea Toluca even used it until this past season. And frankly, i don't care. As far as I am concerned we have made it our own. I mean, when I explain what it means 99% of people say "Cincinnati Reds".

The fact is anything at this point has been borrowed/stolen at some point and it of itself shouldn't be a reason for not using something if it works well for us.

18. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    You know--Although I love the Fire motif, perhaps this lends itself to a new symbol for the Fire--the phoenix, rising from the ashes.

19. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Ah, but in our post-Modern, global culture is anything TRULY original anymore?

I think all the designs are great and look forward to purchasing at least two of the three winners. Great work Liam!

20. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know it probably doesnt matter to you, but I think that your 3rd kit design (the Chicago flag) and the matching scarf you guys are making look really sharp. Not quite as sharp as ours ;) But sharp.

Also, not sure if you noticed up on MLSnet but Tino Palace's latest article mentions this contest, and linked to it in fact.

21. creative_destruction

Nov 28, 2003
    Chicago
    No, I don't think anyone noticed that.

22. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If there is a limited run of LM02, I am so down for it, well done in all regards.

[​IMG]

23. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    LM02?? Is that really what you meant?

The image you posted is LM01.

Here is LM02: [​IMG]

24. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I think there will be a limited run of both those based on my conversations with Marcin. LM02 will see some slight alterations. Also, I think you can expect to see both Anti-Dallas scarves made and the Heroes scarf; all in addition to the contest winners.

25. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. I am going to spend way too much money on scarves this year.

That is correct, but I was speaking more to the fact that the audience viewing the banner might associate LMA with another team in the same sport. If you ask almost any Mexican(or hispanic) who follows soccer, who la maquina roja are, they would tell you that it is Toluca. With the hopeful increase in hispanic patronage, this could become an issue in the future.

I'm not arguing to get rid of it. I like the banner, and think we should keep it. It's just that when a lot of these hispanic people see the banner, they may (and in some cases have) just consider section 8 a joke and not support us. I don't care about that because it doesn't seem to affect their view of the team itself, which is the most important thing. Also, for every person who is turned off by it, I hope their is someone unfamilier with Toluca who will think that it's cool and want to come on board.

One thing I can assure you though, is that any hispanic in America with even a passing interest in soccer knows who La Maquina Roja are. They are one of the bigger teams in Mexico, and our television screens are bombarded with Mexican soccer every weekend, whether I like it or not.