S24.Brasil - Sweden

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Gilmoy, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why not both? :)

As the match wore on, I kept thinking: we(Brasil) don't need Cris, we need Daniela. She would have provided the proper level of service and strength to get Marta and Ant in scoring mode. Sigh...

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    oh lawd.
    1. Hope comes from very humble background and grew up with a father who was homeless and used to bring him food (to his camp in the woods) while she was in high school.
    2. people of all backgrounds say unthoughtful things. poor, rich, black, white, Canadian, Brazilian.

kolabear, BlueCrimson, McSkillz and 2 others repped this.
  3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Hard to hope Solo shows humility. The same can't be said for Brazil's players.

Never said that wasn't the case.

4. hacster

hacster Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trolling or not, I have to agree with the sentiment. I have no interest in being grouped with Solo. She has fast become the Tanya Harding of soccer. I can't deny her abilities, but as a US fan I'll be happy when her WNT days are over.

As for the game, I hate bunkers but I was actually routing for Sweden by the second half. Just can't stand Brazil's incessant complaining about very obvious fouls. They have drifted a long way from jogo bonito and the flashes of brilliance do not make up for the ridiculous gamesmanship in my mind.

As with the US game, the blame for the loss lies with the losers play, not with Sweden's failure to play pretty futbal. Both the US and Brazil had tons of chances. If a team dominates and fails to capitalize by putting the ball on frame it doesn't deserve the win.

5. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    The Swedes used the weapons they had in order to win, I can't complain about it. We played for four hours against Australia and Sweden, took control of both matches and didn't manage to score a measly goal. That's on us. Our players still don't have the composure to finish their chances when it really counts.

exref, blissett, lil_one and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Give me a hug, bro.:cry:

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I was making a joke about how Solo is vindicated. Her comments remain questionable. I am not a fan of her behavior over the years, and I advocate replacing her with a younger goalkeeper now. With three years until WWC, now is the time to develop the next generation.

I agree Brazil has few excuses. They had ample chances to win the game. Doesn't erase the annoying manner of Sweden's progression through this tournament (and indeed qualifying in the first place).

BlueCrimson and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Why do people keep stating this? as if they've just recently come to this enlightened realization.
    domination in soccer doesn't mean success. EVERYONE knows this.

You're really in the wrong place, a soccer forum, if you expect people to not analyze or criticize matches.

9. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I take that over countless times when Sweden actually had a good team but always disappointed.

hagabo_i_exil repped this.
  10. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shoutout to Pia Sundhage, first coach to take two different teams to women's Olympic gold medal match

11. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    There, there... ;)

Also, I gotta give credit to Pia's tactics. She knows we get lost when the other team park the bus, so she basically repeated what she did in the 2008 gold medal match. It worked again.

12. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I assume she is the first coach to have a shot at 3 olympic golds as a coach.

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me either. I've finally reached the point where I'm ready for Solo to move on.

On bunkers, I admire a well-executed one, but just can't cheer for it (unless its the US playing one...:D). I don't hate them, but neither do I love them.

And completely agree on the last paragraph; if either US or Brazil had been able to finish their chances, we wouldn't even be having the discussion on bunkering.

14. hacster

hacster Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thing everyone knows is that lesser skilled teams bunker, and the proof of a superior team is the ability to figure out a way to break the bunker. So why all the calling out of Sweden for the style of play on this thread? That's not analysis; it's whining.

exref and hagabo_i_exil repped this.
  15. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #140 Romario'sgurl, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Very true. We were an utter mess in the waning stages of the 2nd half. Losing at home, in the Maracana is just :sick:.

On a positive note: I think Vadao has improved as a coach in the women's game. I was pleasantly surprised to see him leave Maurine off the roster and Luciana too. I'm willing to keep him around until 2019(geez that seems like so far away).

Hopefully, we can bring in some legitimate strikers by that time.

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    blissett and lil_one repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bunkering in itself is a skill.

If you can't beat them, chances are you're not actually more skilled, you just play prettier.

hagabo_i_exil repped this.
  18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn I forgot she already has two gold medals.... I wonder if she'll become the first coach to win 3 gold medals..

19. marctol

marctol Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    Yeah, I dunno if I agree with this sentiment. I mean, it "only" took Vadão a couple of years to notice that Maurine and Luciana didn't belong on this team. Also, dude was in charge all this time and only tried Erika as a midfielder a few days ago. At this rate, he will need a couple more years to see that Raquel is useless.

One thing I forgot to say about today's game: We really missed Fabiana's speed and skill, Poliana is waaay below her level.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Actually, you are correct. Time flies but it did take him awhile to make some adjustments. Do you think it was because of the occasion? Hope he doesn't revert to old ways after Games are over.

Agreed about Fabi! Her presence was important than Cris', IMO. Poliana just doesn't have the skill or confidence to play this level.

Lmao. Lawd, don't get me started on Raquel. She's as reliable as your girl, Esther. ;)

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Can we finally agree Marta is overrated?

22. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The Twitters are reporting that after the match, Marta and Christiane told Lindahl that now that Sweden has beat them, they must win the whole thing. I had wondered what Marta appeared to be lecturing Lindahl about, finger wagging and all. And then of course stills of the pre-shootout Schelin-Marta hug are making the rounds as well.

exref, blissett and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I thought that hug was adorable. Lotta seems like a nice chick.

blissett repped this.
  24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    No.

exref, hagabo_i_exil, JanBalk and 3 others repped this.
  25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    No.