S24.Brasil - Sweden

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Gilmoy, Aug 16, 2016.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Let this sink in folks. Truly amazing. Pia is a lucky, lucky coach.

After all the criticism she got, I guess we all agree with Hope Solo now. :unsure:

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

That's what the NCAA used to do. UNC and Portland went to 4 overtimes and UNC was wasted for the final.

That's the year Wambach, Fotopoulos, and Florida won.

The rule changed the next year.

3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep. That's class. (Taking note, Solo?). I hope the Nrazikians don't run their mouth here even though it is a bitter oill at a pretty rough time for the country. Brazil needs to win something here so I guess it is down to the men. I think the women are the better side though.

Sweden outshot 32-6 today. I wish this strategy didn't work so well. Yes, the USMNt have won this way too, but it always sucks no matter which side you're on. Still, Sweden is guaranteed their first medal, and they've deserved something for a while too

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Sweden for a great game plan and good execution!
    They did exactly what they needed to do to maximize their chance.

All of that to get the coin flip of PKs, and they won it. Credit their PK shooters for being rock-calm under pressure, ten kicks in a row. Nothing breaks them.

Andressinha didn't miss her kick, she just left it at the worst possible height. Lindahl was reading everybody's kicks, or their scouting report had Brasil's tendencies nailed.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    One minute played in the other semifinal, already more excitement. Both Germany and Canada showed up to, you know, play football.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed...both Brazil and the US failed to score on Sweden when they had numerous opportunities to do so. Sweden executed their game plan very well. Credit to them.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At least Sweden is having some shots, and even a couple of shots on goal.

Not long ago I saw a team bunker so hard, they didn't manage a single shot all game.

8. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sooooooooo salty:p

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, soccer fans the world over hate this kind of thing. (I am American, despite the username). Sweden worked their plan brilliantly and frankly had some very dangerous chances.

Still, it is frustrating. I have to wonder if we have two bunkering teams are we going to see a final with 0 shots?

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  10. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    who the **** is we.

Hexa repped this.
  11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'm Brazilian.

Your list is nothing but facts... however, that's how soccer works. In 1990, my team bombarded Maradona's Argentina with several shots on the woodwork, and even Maradona had to draw back and defend. But on one play, they scored, won the game, and advanced.

As a longtime resident of the US, I know that bunkering like this in the NFL, NBA or NHL is not only unthinkable, but it'd earn fiery criticism from fans and pundits - not to mention that it wouldn't work. But soccer, whether we like it or not, is a unique sport, and as unpleasant as it is to watch this style of play, it works.

Pia Sundhage knew what she was doing. She had to set up her team to stifle the offensive prowess of the Brazilians just as she did with Team USA.

I'm very disappointed, but I can't get mad at the Swedes. Their style of play was not to my liking, but it was legal and it worked. I only hope that Sweden doesn't win it.

I've been saying that on BigSoccer for years.

cpthomas, Hexa and jocasta repped this.
  12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yeah, but that's entirely their problem, so...

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    How about you actually contribute to the discussion instead of trolling.

kolabear, BlueCrimson and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. And I'm a fan of that team. ;)

And yes, the had a couple. As in two in 120 minutes. Not exactly a giant improvement

15. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Amen to that (if by "we" you mean the football world!).

BlueCrimson and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I swear, "pointless possession" has been the name of the game this summer. All the way from the Copa America, the Euros and now the Olympics. Mind boggling that so many teams at this level fail to understand the importance of finishing those opportunities when they present themselves.

I'm more upset at my team for blowing a glorious opportunity to make a statement than I am at Sweden for playing their game. This pill will be tougher for me to swallow than 2008 and 2007, tbh. SMH.

blissett repped this.
  17. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Congratulations to Sweden on their win.

If you play in Rio starting at 13:00 on a sunny day against Brazil you have to play smart and they did just that. Really can't blame their tactics.

Brazil had to put the game away before going to the penalties

Glad the Brazilian public applauded the winners in the end, I hope none of our girls pulls out a Solo

JanBalk and LorneMarvello repped this.
  18. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heres a fact sweden only were allowed to go because there was no team GB at the olympics, hehe

heres another fact sweden beat you and their girls are hawter too.

19. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pure Class

20. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Don't remind me of the 1990 match between Argentina and Brazil. I cried for 2 hours as a teenager after that match and refused to watch a really good Holland-Germany match afterwards. :(

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Now this is pure class.

BlueCrimson and FawcettFan14 repped this.
  22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I was born in America and have followed the game since forever. I'm not frustrated at all from what I saw from Sweden. My girls sliced and diced Nilla's back-line on numerous occasions in the first half. The shots were either off frame, too weak or miraculously saved by Lindahl. The so-called better teams need to make their shots.

The gnashing of the teeth about bunkering is just silly to me and comes off as sour grape.

23. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe the american men will do that in future when they play big teams?

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    They won't. Most if not all come from very humble backgrounds, and although they've raised their standards of living substantially by landing positions in clubs in Europe, Asia, and the US, they aren't known to have the bratty attitude that Hope Solo has demonstrated not only last week but in the past (2007 World Cup and towards retired players).

25. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just stating facts bro