.S. YOUTH NATIONAL TEAMS RETURN TO ACTION WITH FALL TRAINING CAMPS FOR U-17 AND U-20 USWNT

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Klingo3034, Oct 7, 2021.

1. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhhhhh, early morning USWNT - better than coffee. Miniature Diving Divas next. Much tougher Match.

2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After some early difficulty getting through the midfield, the US started creating some good chances around the 20' mark.
    Onyeka Gamero was bossing the 1st half with runs down the right side and set up the 1st Goal by finding Nicolette Kiorpes in front of goal in the 33'. The MDD's answered shortly thereafter with a long bouncing shot that caught our goalie off guard.

HT 1-1

The announcer is frickin annnnnnnnnnoying.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am very unimpressed by the US goalkeeper. Her footwork is poor and her distribution is questionable, at best. Also she just gave up on the goal she gave up. It was a fair shot but not that hard and all she needed to do was extend her arms just a bit.

Also I am seeing some of the "possession first" mentality that is infecting just about all of the US teams regardless of age or sex. They receive the ball just about anywhere on the field and their first look is always possession. I believe at least half of the time, particularly in the attacking half, the first look needs to be attack. This is the same kind of play that allows inferior teams to remain close and have hope of victory. See the Mexico match in the CONCACAF U17 tournament.

5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 1-1
    For the 1st 75 minutes, the US were the much better team (BRZ goalie kept them in it). Last 15 was all Brazil.

Morocco on Monday, 11:30 ET.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The midfield has not been too impressive, perhaps due to the possession issue you discussed. Besides that, they seem to be held back at getting toward goal on their own attacks.

7. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Does anyone have a link to these games on demand? I would like to watch this mornings game even if I have to pay for it. I cannot find it myself. I tried. :(

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think I remember that for the U17s (and maybe some other age groups) FIFA is itself streaming the matches. I do not know for sure as I receive FS1, FS2 and FOX Soccer Plus and all the matches are on those channels in the US and particularly the US matches become available at different times after the match is played and, I think, the Fox sports app has all the matches on demand.

ytrs repped this.
  9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA 4 - Morocco 0. US up 1-0 thru about 60' then scored 3 down the stretch. Nigeria next, vvvvvvery athletic.

Sam Smith scored 2 later on, I think this was her 1st appearance.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I watched this one. We were significantly better than our opponent. Missed the US vs Brazil match, but hopeful it will show up on demand eventually.

11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I have watched all three matches and have thoroughly enjoyed watching this team play. They are a cohesive unit, with a clear tactical game plan and technical ability. They outclassed Brazil by a fair margin. There is clear directive to build the attack through the midfield and not just hit direct balls and hope our winger is faster than our opponent. Yes, perhaps this team could mix that up some more, but at this age group, I'd much prefer to see a team work on possession, technique than a direct game.
    Coach Natalia Astrain, from Spain, has done a very nice job in her short tenure with this team. She's worked with some of the best clubs in the world and it shows. Our team looks confident and technical and I hope a foundation is being laid for future success.
    I believe we will beat Nigeria in the quarterfinals on Friday and have a chance to get to the finals.
    Natalia has played a lot of different players (and we are missing 6+ players from qualifying, many with injuries) so, it will be interesting to see who the starters are going forward.

Klingo3034, Namdynamo and ytrs repped this.
  12. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    For those who are critical about what this team has done, might want to take a look at what U-17’s have done in the previous WWC’s. In the first one in 2008, they finished 2nd in the group stage with 1-1-1 record. Finished as the runner-up losing to Japan in the final. After that the teams either missed qualifying for the WWC or when they did, either finished 3rd or 4th in the Group
    Stage, thus not able to advance to the knock-out stage. It s hard to imagine they were consistently bad for all those times.Nice to finally see a competitive team for a change.

Namdynamo, ytrs and blissett repped this.
  13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quarterfinals next ((Central Times)):

qtrs.jpg

14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Big game tomorrow. In the last month, between friendlies and the WC, the US has beaten 2 of the favorites in Germany and Spain and tied (but out played) Brazil.
    Hopefully we can get past a quick Nigerian team. Our defense has been well organized thus far, tomorrow will be a big test.

15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Delayed due to lightning. I don't think the Indian Authorities got the Memo stating when you concentrate this much U.S. Youth Awesomeness in one place ........meteorological consequences may ensue.

ni17.jpg

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MATCH ON !!! 110 minute Weather Delay. LETS GO YOUNG LADIES

17. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty called on US on the extreme edge of the box - Nigeria converted 0-1 25th minute.
    We have the annoying announcer again.

18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #243 jackdoggy, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Amalllllllllllllllllllia Villarreal in the 40th. 1-1 at the Half.
    Good Match. US skill vs. Nigeria athleticism/speed. I'd peg the possession at about 65% US.

If tied at Full time > > directly to penalties.

Kohler and Suarez on at Half

19. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 FT. Nigeria win 4-3 on penalties.
    Played well, fought hard. Couldn't capitalize on 15ish corner kicks.

ytrs and blissett repped this.
  20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well I missed the first half due to the weather delay preventing proper recording. However the delay was long enough that I managed to watch the second half live. I was NOT impressed. It seemed to me that the US played "afraid" and did not really create much in the way of chances. Of course neither did Nigeria.

Nigeria "wins" this one on PKs. I never really felt that the US was going to score much because they simply did not really attack with any real urgency.

The US squad is coming home early.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    select midfielders who can't/don't/won't attack and just sit back, either by their own choice or, more likely, the coach's insistance, this was going to happen.

Since CONCACAF qualifying knock out rounds the midfield played timid. Again, this was the selection by the coach's design.

22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    crappy way to lose a match, especially with the controversial calls/lack of calls.

I have a rules questions:

During the first PK missed by the US, which went over the bar, the Nigerian goal keeper was feet off the line when the ball was struck.
    Why wasn't this reviewed and called back? (the ref called back a save for the US after this)
    If the reason is because the shot was wide, that doesn't really hold up. The keeper off her line can cause that striker to miss.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    like to ask; at this age, if it’s easy for American youths to switch over to FIFA rules that don’t allow you to sub back in? Feels like whole dynamics of the game changes compared to high school or travel/select

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Youth in the US are quite limited by the stupid high school rules that are still being used to the detriment of US soccer. That was recognized even prior to 1999 as a problem with US youth soccer. The "kids" never learn how to marshal their energy and make sure their energy lasts for the entire match. But that is something that is usually pretty easily adjusted after they get away from the bad influences of US high school/college soccer. It only takes about half a season of real soccer for the kids to learn the skills needed to survive in the professional world.

I wish high schools and colleges would adopt most of the FIFA laws including the sub rules. It would be better for US soccer and the players involved if that happened but it will not because the high school bureaucrats only care about themselves.

I understand the need for it but I do not even like the five subs that are being allowed. It changes the dynamics of the game and means that US youths are held back at the international level.

But before any changes need to be made in US high school soccer FIFA needs to eliminate VAR completely and get the game flowing again. The delays caused by VAR are just too intrusive.

blissett and hotjam2 repped this.