S. Nakamura at Espanyol 2009/2010

Discussion in 'Japan' started by PinoyMarauder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Shouldn't this deserve its own thread? I'm surprised no one is talking about it.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it'll pick up when he starts playing.;)

3. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I thought it was going to be a big deal because of the way it has been reported. The news outlets I've read made it sound like Japanese soccer fans and officials really took the move as a slight on the league and the nation as a whole. Like the guy would rather go to some random team in Europe then come back home and get treated like a hero.

4. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think playing in the Spanish first division for a mid-table team with a pretty decent track record is a bit more than "some random team in Europe." Not like he's warming the bench in the Turkish 2nd division or something like that.

He'll be treated like a hero no matter when he comes back.

5. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Video of his arrival

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsWmaBYO-nI"]YouTube - YOKOOSO, NAKAMURA 10/07/09[/ame]

6. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not saying its some random club, Im saying thats how the reaction was portrayed in the media. Espanyol is a solid club, but from what I've read, and heard from friends in Japan, it seems like its not a big enough club to warrant a delay in his homecoming. Not my words, just what I've read in the media and heard from friends.

7. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's probably a good move, actually. He's now playing in La Liga, and so long as he gets regular starts, he'll be up against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, and Atletico Madrid a few times in the year. That will be some much-needed experience for next year's World Cup campaign.

Espanyol's move for Nakamura was a lot about his name, and the attention it will bring (shirt sales, Japanese TV rights, et al), but it could easily work out in Japan's favour, as well.

8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I really hope that get some playing time, what if he rots on the bench, not the best way to prepare for the WC.

9. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    In terms of ability, I suspect he'll thrive there somewhat more than in Scotland. As it's always been his success will largely depend on the manager's understanding of his style. Hard to read into that at this point in time.

His (same) arrival from a handy-cam perspective (no, it's not me), it's quite funny really how he keeps shifting around, but you get the gist of it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsuGDn1gfg"]Aeropuerto del Prat[/ame]

10. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  11. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  12. Sand Alchemist

Sand Alchemist New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Club:
    Malaga CF
    lol according with a friend ''Espanyol is now more famous than ever Bayern Munich in Japan''. Is that true? :p

I think La Liga will suit Nakamura perfectly. La Liga is the paradise of the midfielders, where tactical football is the most important. And that´s Nakamura forte.

13. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am wondering if Nakamura plays left midfield and drifts around midfield at his club, Okada may use Nakamura AND Honda, which would give the JNT more attacking options.

14. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Okada isn't really being controversial, there. Should be a requirement, regardless.

15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah it's better for him to choose his favorites Yano and some other guys, ********.

16. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    "Okada (at left), who is known to pick only those players who get enough time on the pitch with their clubs, said he wanted the 31-year-old to be in prime condition for next year’s World Cup."

...Okubo...?

Truth is that OKADA HAS FAVORITES.

Let's hope they're the right ones...

IMHO Japan will have a chance to do well in the WC, but in 2014, hopefully with Pereira as coach.

17. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm already scared for the day when Okada picks his WC squad. It is 23 players right?

18. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, and basically 20 are already decided... :cool:

19. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Something like that I'm afraid. :/

20. Ishikawa18

Ishikawa18 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ...and Morimoto isn't a part of it :(

21. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Even worse: Morimoto gets included and then excluded just before... but honestly, I don't think it comes to that. It would be like suicide for Okada's career. What I fear the most is that he plays Abe again when one of the CBs is injured... and referring to this thread: That Nakamura plays anyway, no matter what he says now about him getting a regular spot at Espanyol (and therefore Honda is benched).

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ---> Please continue the discussion about Okada on the NT thread!! :)

23. yakuza fc

yakuza fc Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Sydney
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    'La Liga’s lure couldn’t be resisted and with Park Ji-sung impressing in England with Manchester United and Javad Nekounam and Masoud Shojaei strutting their stuff for Osasuna, another big-name player succeeding in a big league will do the reputation of Asian players no harm at all.

It will also silence the doubters who claimed Nakamura’s success in Scotland was due to the weakness of the opposition. In Spain, Nakamura can show how good he really is. '

http://goal.com/en-us/news/83/asia/...ebate-will-shunsuke-nakamura-succeed-in-spain

24. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Second hand info from a collegue on the ground, but apparently Nakamura had a good game on his debut albeit against a local Peralada. 2 halves of different squad, he came on for the 2nd half and hit the bar half way as well as blending well in the flow with the usual display of smooth technical ability that excited the travelling fans.

He's been far more mobile, something of a shift from his older style, he kept switching positions with his teammates and got along very well. This was something I was worried about as no matter what player, sometimes you just fail to blend in or be accepted, and don't even get a pass. His off-the-pitch chemistry with the team is working well and gelling on the pitch, which is very important at this stage. All the fanfare and attention of the 1st week of his arrival have not alienated his team or hindered the relationship with their other key players.

The positive environment is set, so it's entirely down to his ability now how the season goes. Good luck to him.