S. Korea vs Nepal Asia Qualifier note [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by roarksown1, Oct 1, 2003.

1. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just watching the FSW Report and saw that South Korea destroyed Nepal in an Asian WC Qualifying match 16:0. If this information is incorrect, somebody please point it out, but at least that's what I thought I saw.

That being said, I want to do a pre-emptive strike on all those apologists who will come here and say that running up the score on those poor Nepalese players was heartless and gutless. More crap could not be uttered. Goal differential could prove most critical in qualifying. You can bet other teams will run up the score in order to get that GD as high as possible in case of a tie on points.

Where would the greater glory be? In calling it a day and bunkering for the greater good of humanity after a clear 5:0 lead in order to spare the poor opponents' feelings, or to be the coach who lost out on getting his team to the World Cup because Thailand's squad had a +1 over them in Goal Differential.

Remember that only a few years ago, after a long and grueling Bundesliga season, Bayer Leverkusen lost the title to Bayern Munich by goal differential even though they were dead even on points - a title they've never, ever held before! Think about that pain, then try getting upset when Iran beats the Maldives or Australia beats up on any of those little islands.

It's a simple matter of a coach doing what you have to do in order to get your job done. Those boys that lose 17:0 - they probably knew deep down that they had no chance, but hey, they gave it their all. At the end of the day, they're grown men who will learn from the lessons taught and will mature into better players who will do everything they possibly can to never let such a result happen again.

Flame away.

2. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    In an ideal world goal difference would be capped, say any single match could only add max +3 or -3.

eg. winning 16:0 would only add +3 to the total goal diff, but winning by a lesser margin (eg. 2:1) would still only add one goal to the running total.

That would prevent ridiculous situations like this .. it doesn't really help anyone.

3. red fire engine

red fire engine New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Anyang
    Have you guys been drinking?

The result happened a week ago and nobody said anything like that.

I think you jumped the gun.

Aussie beat Tonga 21-0 and Samoa 32-0 the other year. Nobody mentioned anything about stopping the game.

As for capping the goal difference...umm...why?

If you win by 4,5,6 or 16 then that's what you win by. If Oman can only beat them by 6 then Oman didn't play as well as Korea and doesn't deserve to have the same goal diference because of their own attacking ineptitude.

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Word.

I'm sorry for Nepal but could this explain 3 Nepalese players disappering in Korea?

16 goals is a total thrashing but Nepal obviously gave up before they even tried. Yes im a bit sympathetic but oh well- suck it up.