Ryan's Replacement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by newjerseyboy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Little Raven

Little Raven New Member

May 20, 2007
    ...and if you went to most sports reporters around the country and asked them who the president of US Soccer was, and spotted them the Sun and the Gul, they would still stare at you with a blank look on their faces...but all of them will know Mia Hamm was the greatest women soccer player in the world.

2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Remember, Foudy was being paid to comment on the World Cup. Her comments on Ryan were negative, including the fact that Ryan replaced Hope in goal for the Semifinal. Her comments on Hope's outburst were also negative.

3. MoglyPirate

MoglyPirate New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The only thing with Pia Sundhage being possibly hired is her possible favoritism of Lily bc of the Boston Breakers?

4. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Lilly loved playing for Pia-but that doesn't translate into what is meaningful today, and any coach might keep Lilly around but not necessarily start her or play her 90 minutes-In any event an article excerpt:

"So who will mastermind the program's first true rebuilding task? Former U.S. women's coach Tony DiCicco, the mastermind of the 1999 Women's World Cup title team, has a WUSA gig lined up. But it doesn't begin until 2009, and he could possibly provide a short-term fix, at least.

Or how about Swede Pia Sundhage, who coached the WUSA's Boston Breakers in 2003? She also served as Chinese assistant in the Women's World Cup. Sundhage recently told a Swedish newspaper that she has been contacted by a U.S. Soccer representative, without further elaboration.

Or might Gulati turn to the architect of the team that whipped the United States, Brazilian women's coach Rene Simoes? He shepherded Jamaica's only appearance in the men's World Cup (France '98). Gulati once interviewed Simoes for a position with the U.S. men's program, although it was unclear whether that was the top spot or some technical role.

It might take someone like that to truly turn around the program, a figure strong enough to resist "old guard" interference. It's not that everyone doesn't appreciate the contributions from the program's fabulous cornerstones. But time does move inexorably forward. The U.S. women's program sometimes appears to have a "Sopranos" tilt to it: Once you're in, your opinion (or playing service) is always sought. Or so the figures seem to believe.

Perhaps a current college coach could successfully bridge the gap, someone close enough to understand the women's soccer culture but not beholden to the figures that currently dominate it. A smart coach could manage the delicate balance of gaining from the important figures without deifying them. Candidates from U.S. college programs could include Santa Clara's Jerry Smith, UCLA's Jillian Ellis (also the U.S. under-20 coach), Notre Dame's Randy Waldrum, Navy's Carin Jennings-Gabarra and Texas Tech's Tom Stone (the former Atlanta Beat coach)."
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=474895&root=us&cc=5901

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As much as I was a big fan of Mia's, I don't think her or any of the 99ers should be part of the selection committee. So is Mia going to choose her buddy's husband Jerry as coach? So that Brandi at the age of 40 can get her 200 caps? That arrogant ass Dicicco? Who thinks his sh_t don't stink? Let's see... Jillian Ellis who can't win a college cup despite all those recruits?

They need a selection group of people with no ties to anyone to objectively look at serious candidates.

If all else fails, and you can't make a decision before January then ask Anson Dorrance, who has forgotten more soccer than Smith or Dicicco will ever know, to take over for 8 months and lead the US Women's National Soccer Team to the Olympics.

6. lockhart_13

lockhart_13 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    [FONT=&quot]Dorrance still has the harassment lawsuit hanging over his head. Debbie Keller settled her claim out of court, but Melissa Jennings has refused to. Dorrance is facing a civil trial sooner rather than later. See link[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/460479.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After the public relations meltdown Ryan was responsible for I seriously doubt that, guilty or innocent, Dorrance is ever coming near the national team again. [/FONT]

7. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
  8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does Jerry Smith as coach automatically = Brandi getting recalled? You aren't the only poster to make similar assumptions. I just don't think there is much logic there. Of course, there has been precious little logic involved in this forum for quite some time.

9. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Tony

Tony

Tony

As much as he loved his players he had no problem benching or cuting them.

He never had a chance to finish what he started. Dr. Boob is gone. I say bring him back. The team thrived durring his tenure.

10. WCC Fan

WCC Fan New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Thank you. While Brandi's in great shape for a 39 year old (I gather she just ran the San Francisco marathon), she'll be 40 by the Olympics and hasn't played competitive soccer in several years. Jerry's long, impressive coaching history - including the U21 team - is entirely independent of his marriage, and the speculation that he'd bring Brandi back is ridiculous. As an aside, Smith is probably the most possession oriented coach of all the cited candidates. I'd actually be equally happy with several of the other options, but I'm really sick of all the nefarious influence peddling attributed to Mia and former WNTers.

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The voice of reason.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I certainly hope not (Tony). Regrdless of WWC99 the way he cut Debbie Keller was bullsh_t.

13. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    "In international news:

Marika Domanski-Lyfors will not return as China's head coach. According to China Daily, Brazil's women’s coach Jorge Barcelos, France's former coach Loisel Elisabeth and former U.S. coach April Heinrichs are among the top picks to fill the now vacant position.

Pia Sundhage, who served as Domanski-Lyfors's assistant coach, will not return to China either. AIK wants to attain her services and Sundhage indicated that she will meet with the Swedish club. As Sundhage is named as a potential candidate for the U.S. job, damfotboll.com asked her some hypothetical questions. (All Swedish) A rough translation follows of the second and third hypothetical questions posed to Sundhage:
    Would you accept such a hot challenge (as the U.S. WNT coach) if an offer comes in the future?

"Yes, absolutely. That would be a challenge I would take. Winning the Olympic gold is probably a must. If that were to happen it would be the USA's second straight (Olympic gold) and can perhaps compensate for this year's loss in the World Cup."

What would be the biggest challenge in coaching the U.S. National Team?

"To change the USA's play. To get more variation in their play as today it is almost only built on speed. Going ahead that will not be enough to win, they need to start playing good football also." http://www.ooosasoccer.com

14. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Interesting comments by Sundhage.

She reportedly interviewed for the job once and declined it because she didn't want to be technical director too.

The US' play was built on speed? I would say strength.

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I now have a favorite candidate.

16. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I thought that was an odd comment to, maybe a translation thing, maybe not. You are right as I recall on Pia not wanting to be anything more than a coach for the WNT in the past. I guess that's changed, but I think Sunil's comments also seemed to indicate that they'd be a bit patient with any foreigner who came along in terms of directing the program.

17. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    I'm hoping they stay away from the college connection. IMO the college game isn't any different than what we've been seeing. I'm thinking Pia Sundhage has to be #1 on the list. Sundhage has international experience plus she is already familiar with the US system (see Quote Sheet for coaching criteria: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_3375105.html ) and she does not want to continue with the Chinese team. She has coached successfully for the Boston Breakers turning around an underperforming team and was well liked by her players including Kristine Lilly. Although Lilly may not represent the future of the team, unless her reputation was completely tarnished in China, she should still have some imput to the direction of the team. Tony DiCicco spoke highly of Sundhage during the WWC, even more so then of Domanski-Lyfors. I suspect he may have known what was coming down and was giving her his blessing. Then there is the Boston/New England soccer connection between Gulati and Sundhage to consider.

I still wouldn't mind seeing Tom Sermanni as a possible candidate either. He is another coach with both the international and US experience that they are looking for. However, Sundhage probably has the advantage because she'll get extra points for being a woman.

18. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    What exactly would the job of Technical Director entail?

19. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    It means the person is in charge of the youth programs, as I understand it.

20. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    They oversea the youth national programs.

21. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Yes I think that is implied but what decisions or control do they actually have?

22. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    They hire coaches.

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007

I interpreted it as a reference to long-ball offense, which emphasizes both speed and strength (i.e., winning long balls put into space or at a target).

24. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. She said exactly what I wanted to hear.

25. suremegsalot

suremegsalot New Member

May 11, 2007
    How about Leonardo Cuellar from Mexico. He has a great deal of experience coaching in the US and the international level. He has done an outstanding job with a program with less talent! He was also an excellent player in his day. He could truly bring a fresh approach to our program.