Ryan's Replacement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by newjerseyboy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    well the team leaders are not technically supposed to be on the olympic team yet. I think the process for choosing any olympic team is under the guidelines of the us olympic committee and they ahve to have some sor tof try-out even though im sure its just a front. nonetheless they SHOULDNT (although go only knows) have any say in coach for the olympic team because they are not on it yet.

2. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Karyn Lush at www.ooosasoccer.com is reporting a "rumor" that USsoccer is expressing an interest in Pia Sundhage. Cool. At least this might mean they will in fact can Ryan.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your lips to God's ears....

4. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My cat wants to know if he tastes like chicken.

5. VaBch757

VaBch757 New Member

Oct 7, 2007

it has been difficult for Marika Domanski Lyfors and Pia Sundhage to make up their minds. Will they continue with China's National Team through the 2008 Beijing Olympics? Or will they move home? On Wednesday, will they make up their minds? But one can never know.
    "We will make a decision during the holiday and leave our answer for Monday. Neither of us will continue working in China on our own," said Pia Sundhage.

What holiday and what Monday are they talking about. Is this decision coming up soon.

Any way you look at it, if it is a true rumor, Ryan may be headed out the door! :D

6. TagsGK

TagsGK New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    She (Ellis) has won on the international level...problem is she would have to leave a good job, to go work for US Soccer...maybe?

7. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I'll be courteous and hold the door open for him!

8. zhatso

zhatso New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Markus Juchem of womensoccer.de provides his view of the Hope Solo controversy. He concludes that he hopes for the sake of American soccer that Greg Ryan's contract is allowed to expire at the end of the year. (German)

Can anyone translate what Juchem wrote here? I am so glad for some international press on this.

Barcellos and Neid were critical of Ryan's folly prior to the Brazil game, but I haven't found much except on an English site.

thanks

9. gmm1

gmm1 New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Interesting. I am also curious what Mr. Juchem had to say. I'm wondering now if some of the other national teams are worried that if the US implodes, the world wide interest in slaying the dragon goes away, and will that mean a drop in overall interest in Women's Soccer. And the real battle is with support vs the various Men's teams, and any loss of focus can only hurt the effort.

Yes, someone please translate. Thanks.

10. J@bay

J@bay New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Fremont, CA
    Re: Ryan's Replacement (or, "for the sake of US Frauenfussballs")

Since I haven't quite completed my course in German, I went to Google Translator and offer this auto-translation, which I think gets us started until the Real Thing comes along.
    _____

American Psycho-Hope Solo on the pillory
    October 18, 2007 @ 16:39 pm Women's soccer world

Inspired by an e-mail from Juergen Kalwa and contribute in his blog worth reading American arena, we also want to once again illuminate what happened to the U.S.-Torhüterin Hope Solo has become. And with amazement, we find: Even weeks after the embarrassing WM-Scheitern U.S.-Frauen-Nationalmannschaft, the dispute between coach Greg Ryan and the goalkeeper ausgebooteten Posse to a first grade expanded.

While the 25-year-old is now more often excused as it is, the team colleagues, under pressure from Ryan to solo in. Team spirit on American Art So bad as today was the image of U.S.-Frauenfußballs never before.

The team, which in the past meant no opportunity to work for their great team spirit to praise himself, has one of her in the past few weeks has done systematically. Whether Kristine Lilly, Abby Wambach, Lori Chalupny and Stephanie Lopez - they all have publicly opposed solo, because, in their Ausbootung for Portland against Brazil had said: "Everyone is a little know in football knows that it was a wrong decision. I would have kept these balls. "

How about Chalupny said: "Just in such unfortunate times shows the true character of a person. I think it has to this day not their best side. "It may be that it was not very clever, in what form solo in this emotional situation except their legitimate criticism. But this is a reason, they systematically completed until today to make?

Solo in quarantine

Solo was allowed in China after their statements no longer on the team dinner let alone team meetings and participate in the 3rd place match not even sit on the bench and not after their bronze medal game against. Even the return flight they could not work together with the team competition.

It would probably still a majority solos statements blindly sign, because the U.S.-Team acted against Brazil unharmonious and insecure, solo replacement Briana Scurry caught a rabenschwarzen day. Also, the multiple apologies, which has decreased solo meanwhile, seem their fellow team coach Greg Ryan also not too rich. That he solo for the games against Mexico back in the squad has, is purely contractual obligation between the Federation and the National Players owed. Why is not solo from the national team resigned? Among them anyway Ryan is no longer deny games.

Until today, waiting in vain for an apology and an admission Ryans his error, his team by the replacement of the goalkeeper before the semi-finals to have weakened. Solo is the scapegoat, the excuse for this is that Ryan with one of the worst mistakes of the U.S.-Fußballgeschichte embarrassing defeat of U.S.-Frauenfußballs has paved the way.

Known deficits

But who are already happy with a voluntary 175,000 dollars per year contract doped up when he knows that he probably then no longer receive comparable job? Because that Ryan is not one of the coaches first grade, was already in its commitment uncontroversial. No wonder, then, that the media and the federation to assume their responsibilities. How about Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune in a remarkable contribution.

The athletic style that Ryan to the team in recent years eintrichterte, with long balls to Abby Wambach, proved at the World Cup as insufficient funds. "We were just off," said the experienced striker Shannon MacMillan.

The former coach April Heinrichs the U.S.-Nationalmannschaft dismissed in March 2005 in an interview almost prophetically on the shortcomings of the team: "We need more time to spend on the ball and the technical skills continue to improve. The football we increasingly physical, strength and agility is concerned. But we need to focus more on the technical sides. "

Strange impassively has been the U.S.-Verband and his somewhat colorless President Sunil Gulati behave. One can only hope that it is involved in the situation calmly analyzed, and then at 31 In December 2007 expiring contract with Greg Ryan no longer be renewed. For the sake of U.S.-American Psycho-Hope Solo on the pillory
    October 18, 2007 @ 16:39 pm Women's soccer world

Inspired by an e-mail from Juergen Kalwa and contribute in his blog worth reading American arena, we also want to once again illuminate what happened to the U.S.-Torhüterin Hope Solo has become. And with amazement, we find: Even weeks after the embarrassing WM-Scheitern U.S.-Frauen-Nationalmannschaft, the dispute between coach Greg Ryan and the goalkeeper ausgebooteten Posse to a first grade expanded.

While the 25-year-old is now more often excused as it is, the team colleagues, under pressure from Ryan to solo in. Team spirit on American Art So bad as today was the image of U.S.-Frauenfußballs never before.

The team, which in the past meant no opportunity to work for their great team spirit to praise himself, has one of her in the past few weeks has done systematically. Whether Kristine Lilly, Abby Wambach, Lori Chalupny and Stephanie Lopez - they all have publicly opposed solo, because, in their Ausbootung for Portland against Brazil had said: "Everyone is a little know in football knows that it was a wrong decision. I would have kept these balls. "

How about Chalupny said: "Just in such unfortunate times shows the true character of a person. I think it has to this day not their best side. "It may be that it was not very clever, in what form solo in this emotional situation except their legitimate criticism. But this is a reason, they systematically completed until today to make?

Solo in quarantine

Solo was allowed in China after their statements no longer on the team dinner let alone team meetings and participate in the 3rd place match not even sit on the bench and not after their bronze medal game against. Even the return flight they could not work together with the team competition.

It would probably still a majority solos statements blindly sign, because the U.S.-Team acted against Brazil unharmonious and insecure, solo replacement Briana Scurry caught a rabenschwarzen day. Also, the multiple apologies, which has decreased solo meanwhile, seem their fellow team coach Greg Ryan also not too rich. That he solo for the games against Mexico back in the squad has, is purely contractual obligation between the Federation and the National Players owed. Why is not solo from the national team resigned? Among them anyway Ryan is no longer deny games.

Until today, waiting in vain for an apology and an admission Ryans his error, his team by the replacement of the goalkeeper before the semi-finals to have weakened. Solo is the scapegoat, the excuse for this is that Ryan with one of the worst mistakes of the U.S.-Fußballgeschichte embarrassing defeat of U.S.-Frauenfußballs has paved the way.

Known deficits

But who are already happy with a voluntary 175,000 dollars per year contract doped up when he knows that he probably then no longer receive comparable job? Because that Ryan is not one of the coaches first grade, was already in its commitment uncontroversial. No wonder, then, that the media and the federation to assume their responsibilities. How about Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune in a remarkable contribution.

The athletic style that Ryan to the team in recent years eintrichterte, with long balls to Abby Wambach, proved at the World Cup as insufficient funds. "We were just off," said the experienced striker Shannon MacMillan.

The former coach April Heinrichs the U.S.-Nationalmannschaft dismissed in March 2005 in an interview almost prophetically on the shortcomings of the team: "We need more time to spend on the ball and the technical skills continue to improve. The football we increasingly physical, strength and agility is concerned. But we need to focus more on the technical sides. "

Strange impassively has been the U.S.-Verband and his somewhat colorless President Sunil Gulati behave. One can only hope that it is involved in the situation calmly analyzed, and then at 31 In December 2007 expiring contract with Greg Ryan no longer be renewed. For the sake of U.S.-Frauenfußballs.
    - Markus Juchem

- Markus Juchem

11. gmm1

gmm1 New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Thank you J@bay.....

12. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    lauren gregg is in virginia. still involved on the boards of various us soccer parties

if they can't get anyone to take the team over becausr of all of the crap, give me a call i will take it on, and over haul it

13. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll split duty with you.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=24043

{Ryan is out, apparently}

"If Ryan is not retained, the name most often mentioned as a possible replacement is Swede Pia Sundhage, who coached WUSA's Boston Breakers in 2003 and was an assistant coach for the Philadelphia Charge in 2001 and 2002. The popular Sundhage worked as an assistant coach under Marika Domanski Lyfors, who coached host China at the 2007 Women's World Cup.

Sundhage told the Swedish daily Gotesborgs-Posten last Wednesday that there was interest from the U.S. national team but no concrete offer.

Other names being mentioned as possible replacements for Ryan include UCLA coach Jillian Ellis, who is the U.S. under-20 women's national team coach and spent the final week of the Women's World Cup scouting in China, Washington Freedom coach Jim Gabarra and former U.S. women's national team coach Tony DiCicco, who was recently announced as the coach of the Boston team in the new women's league expected to launch in 2009.

A long shot would be Jerry Smith, who recently signed a long-term contract extension at Santa Clara. Smith's wife is Brandi Chastain, who was dropped by Ryan at the beginning of his tenure."

15. Los Angeles

Los Angeles New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Los Angeles

Heehee. "All your base are belong to us."

Anyway, what I really want to say is that if Pia is named (I guess we'll find out in a few minutes), I will be ecstatic. I love her coaching style. I love what she did with the Boston Breakers. I would be thrilled to see what she does with the US team.

16. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

I feel like a kid on the night before christmas. The only question is whether i will have an atari under the tree or a lump of coal.

17. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin

I know! I'm not even sure where I should be looking, I just keep hitting refresh on this page! Anyone know of any other web sites that are covering it?

18. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

we need an official thread

19. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
  20. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    ty defense

21. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Anyone wonder how Carla Overbeck would be as a coach? I generally wouldn't lean towards a coach that has played with people that are still on the team but I was just kinda wondering how she would be as a coach. She's the assistant at Duke I believe.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sundhage I reckon has to be first on the list.

Will they pay her price?

23. TheThe Buffoon

TheThe Buffoon New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Chicago- west 'burbs
    Last I heard, Fabio Capello is unemployed, too.

24. Little Raven

Little Raven New Member

May 20, 2007
    I think it's good Mia is on the search committee. First, she brings instant credibility to the mainstream media, who will have never heard of the other two guys on the committee. Second, she had to witness the marginal Ryan being foisted on the team after she and the players pushed for Heinrichs to be removed. I don't think Mia will settle for some second-level small college coach...she will get somebody very competent in there who can win. She seems pretty smart and Savvy, moreso than Foudy, I think Mia is very aware of her legacy and will not do anything petty to tarnish it by engaging in the kind of public comments like Foudy did.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The search will be led by a three-person committee made up of US Soccer President Sunil Gulati, U.S. Soccer Secretary General Dan Flynn and Hall of Fame Women’s National Team forward Mia Hamm.

:D