Ryan's Replacement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by newjerseyboy, Sep 30, 2007.

1. newjerseyboy

newjerseyboy New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I think its a foregone conclusion Ryan is gettin whacked. So then, who would we like to see lead the team.

How about Anson Dorrance again. he's got a track record of winning on every level. He knows how to take a favored team (UNC or USWNT) and not stifle creativity, underacheive, or over manage

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like Anson Dorrance. However, I'm unsure if Ryan will be fired yet

3. newjerseyboy

newjerseyboy New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    if Ryan is NOT fired, then I suspect maybe there is a rift developing in the offices of US soccer. i see this situation as Steve Sampson part 2. Remember when he so brazenly cut Harkes(Captain for life) and said it wouldnt make a difference. He fractured the team going into France 98 and we all know what happened next

4. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Jill Ellis U-20 and UCLA coach.

5. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    Oh, please no.

For one, Ellis has the U-20 WC coming up next year, and two, I'd like to see her actually win something with all that talent at UCLA before she tries the national team.

6. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    i feel like we should go abroad and get someone tottally outside the system. Like a scandanavian coach. Norway and swedon just always seem to play well tactically and i think we could really use something fresh.

7. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    Yeah, we all know how well USSoccer is at doing that.

8. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Oh God please no! He's the reason, directly and indirectly that we have players who are direct run and gun players and rely on athleticism to win games as opposed to sophisticated players on the ball like the Brasilians.

He'd also probably try to sub out all the forwards after 25 minutes :)

9. newjerseyboy

newjerseyboy New Member

Apr 13, 2005

i only mentioned Dorrance because i have no idea who are the viable candidates out there. Whoever is the next coach should have a history with the current crop of young american's whether that be promoting a youth national team coach or and established college coach, Texas' Chris Petrucelli?, Coach at USC, or maybe, dare I say, a former player

Sadly, i think the man who wouldve been perfect, Clive Charles, is no longer with us. God rest his soul

10. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    I am really, really against choosing a former player. The last thing the WNT needs is a big name player from the '99 WC. The team needs to move beyond the old guard.

11. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    o i totally agree. foudy would be my worst nightmare

12. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm thinking along the same lines as you guys-- someone foreign would be great. but here's a catch. i play NAIA soccer and you wouldn't believe how organized and AMAZING some NAIA coaches are. (See: Lindsey Wilson... even MY school, we're like 9-1 this year so far, although i don't think i want to lose our coach LOL)

and Norfolk, i DISAGREE!!! look at Tobin Heath and Casey Nogueira. Anson is a HUGE reason that the USA has young players coming up with the "face up-take on" mentality. are you telling me you don't LIKE the way HAO and Tarp and Chalupa love to take on?? i definitely like it.

13. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    A former player, but not from the '99 team, Carin Jennings-Gabarra coach at the USNA. Considering the recuriting pool isn't the deepest because of the limitations of coaching at USNA, she's done a pretty good job.

14. newjerseyboy

newjerseyboy New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I thought she was a coach. I think she would be perfect for the role.

15. lockhart_13

lockhart_13 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I read this somewhere, don’t remember where Tony DiCicco has a commitment to coach Boston in the WUSA Version 2, but that doesn’t start until 09. He could be offered a year contract to get this team through the Olympics. He’s done it before, successfully, and requires no learning curve. A permanent replacement could be found after that.

I’m not necessarily endorsing this idea, but I’ve heard of worse.

16. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in '09? they kept running their mouths about "next year, next year" during the wwc. but '09 is definitely better, it's a down year internationally.

17. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. Lilly and Scurry will still be playing when they are 45 if one of the 99 team gets the head coaches job.

18. sir711

sir711 New Member

Mar 27, 2003
    ks

And he would also win the WWC like all 19 NCAA champioships he has won. Anson may not know how to sub, like portland coaches, but Anson knows how to win championships, unlike any portland coaches.
    The USWNT needs more girls that can sprint and defend and a coach that knows a system that alows players to use what they do best, not do what the coach thinks is best. So keep hating on Anson, you can't erase the fact he made women's soccer in America a winner. And you nothing about Brasilians, my son lives in Rio, and sophisticated is'nt the way they approach soccer. And there was'nt much athletic about Abby, Lopez ,Lillie,solo,whitehill/ and like.

19. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    She is a coach, as I posted, at the United States Naval Academy and also happens to be a former player on the USWNT, albeit from a while ago.

20. sir711

sir711 New Member

Mar 27, 2003
    ks
    pay little attention to norfolk that guy is a pure UNC hater. I remember him from 02shouting about the anson rule,limiting subs for 03 season, and we all know what Anson did in 03 with the new rule 27-0-0. norfolk has blamed Anson for everything wrong in the world. And it's unfortunate that the most succesful women's soccer coach in America is'nt interested in the job because of people like norfolk.

21. carolinablue_cchs07

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anson walked away from the WNT of his own free will! he wanted to focus on UNC. and look what he DID with it; surely that's an important step as well, bringing the level of the college game up. if the feds cared enough, they'd FIND a good coach. this is, sadly, starting to remind me of my HS's coaching issues of the past 10 years-- new coach every 2 years b/c each one is inadequate.

22. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    As others have mentioned in previous threads, I think Jerry Smith would be an ideal candidate. Unfortunately, I don't think he'd be interested at the moment.

Randy Waldrum? The way things have been going at Notre Dame this season, he might be looking for a job. :p

23. Norfolk

Norfolk Member

Mar 22, 2001
    History doesn't win you tomorrows game. Just as the US isn't a lock to win the WWC every time (they haven't even made the last 2 finals), UNC doesn't win every NCAA tournament anymore. The game has moved on at the national level and also at the collegiate level. Heck UNC just lost their third game to Miami???

Brazilians do not play sophisticated soccer??? good god have you ever seen their national teams play, men and women. Short passing, individual creativity at its finest. There is a reason why they have all those stars on their jerseys! Some of the defenders on the women's team had more individual ability than the US forwards.

Anson knows how to win championships unlike any portland coaches.???....check out the 02 and 05 championship. :)

24. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Anson's got a pretty good deal going for him at UNC. I don't see why he'd want to leave.

My #1 choice since April left has been Pia Sundhage.

25. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anson isnt leaving UNC until the next lawsuit...;)(I think??:D)

PIA is the choice....If I could get Jerry Smith without the baggage, err Brandi I'd go for him as well...