Ryan Suarez to Municipal?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by DLite, Aug 25, 2002.

1. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    I was watching Marcador Final on our local Telemundo affiliate and they are reporting that Municipal of Guatemala is very interested in obtaining the services of Ryan Suarez. Not many details were given.

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Ha-ha-ha-ha!! As long as they are not beaten out by Sofia United in Albania!!

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    that is quite funny...

keep on dreaming municipal.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Ryan Suarez to Municipal?

I am sure Suarez, who is hoping to get a call from Bruce Arena , will enhance the chances by playing in a lower league where he will never, ever be seen.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I wouldn't be that surprised to see Ryan wearing a Municipal uniform.

MLS loans players out in the offseason all the time. It allows them to make a little extra money and they develop faster as well. If you are trying to say that Suarez would leave MLS for Guatemala, then I would say the report is wrong.

The best players from Guatemala are trying to get into MLS. See Ruiz in LA and Garcia in Columbus for examples......

6. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA
    I doubt that Ryan would agree to the deal if MLS and Municipal did work something out financially. I just posted a bit of news that I came across.

If Ryan were in the same situation that Frankie Hejduk is in, that is, going to St. Gallen in Switzerland as opposed to going to Municipal of Guatemala, would you guys find it more acceptable because it is a team in Europe? Wouldn't you think that both of these leagues are in the same range of anonimity?

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly the same standard of play, but I think the Swiss NLA is going to be more heavily scouted by Euro clubs than the Guatemalan league.

I wouldn't be surprised if Suarez were to spend some time with Municipal on loan, but I seriously doubt that he would ever go there on a permanent transfer.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    why would one of the USA's top prospects go to Guatamala? He was born in Sacramento. This is an insane thread.

9. Etchescary

Etchescary BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 14, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I second that this is an Insane thread. The Guatemalan league would be a complete step down for any players development. If a team from the Uruguyan league called for Ryan Suarez services than it would be a different story, but Guatemala c'mon. That is just wrong.

10. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA

First, Ryan's birthplace is irrelevant as to what team or league he would go to if he left MLS. Second, why is this an insane thread? I would admit that the probability of Suarez joining Municipal is very slim, but that does not make this thread insane. If a club can shell out enough cash to entice MLS to the bargaining table and if Suarez, for some reason or another, were to think highly of the team and/or league then he would probably sign for them. We might not like the idea or think it is the best decision, but what we think would play no part in the decision.

Not that I am a Guatemalan or a champion for their league, but MLS has thought highly enough of some of the stars of the league and tried to or succeded in bringing in some of their talent, such as: Martin Machon, Carlos Ruiz, Freddy Garcia, Milton "Tyson" Nunez, Juan Carlos Plata, etc. Just thought I'd point that out.:)

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    One way traffic. George Weah played in Serie A. Heard of many Italians with Nat hopes going to Liberia to play?

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    D-lite, again I point out that Ryan Suarez is as American as anyone. He was born in Sacramento. He happens to have a hispanic surname. How would you like to go ply your trade, whatever it is, in Guatamala?

13. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    municipal is a pretty good team, maybe on par with MLS teams, as is, possibly, communicaciones, but the rest of guatemalan soccer is worthless. i don't see a guy who is being looked at by two world cup participants going there. it would be like some big money argentine from river plate going to mls instead of italy or spain. it just doesn't make sense.

however, both municipal and comunicaciones definitely have money.

if ryan were to play in guatemala, i would recommend playing for Antigua GFC. much nicer neighborhood.

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, most of the Guatemalan league may be crap, but what's wrong with an offseason loan? It's not as if he'd be playing in MLS between November and March...

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Again, this guy is an American guy with a hispanic surname! Why the **** would he want to go to Guatamala? Why doesn't DeMarcus Beasly go to Guatamala? Why not Honduras? Why not Nicaragua?
    Do you feel like moving to Guatamala for a few months? If Suarez wants to go on loan, it is highly probable that he could find another, more visible place to play.

16. AlanShearer

AlanShearer New Member

May 5, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    I'd love to move to Guatemala for a few months. Beautiful country, great food. But I'd play for Xelaju. Mmmmm. Paches Quetzaltecas.

17. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind spending the winter in Guatemala as opposed to, say, Sweden.

It's not so bad.

18. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA

Why do you feel that you have to point out that he is an American when we already know that. Not once has his citizenship been doubted. It has nothing to do with the topic.

Remember Bruce, my post was just some info that I picked up from a Spanish language TV affiliate here in the LA area. It wasn't as if I magically whipped up this rumor in my head. There is no need to get so uptight about this. Most likely nothing will come of it, so you have nothing to worry about.

19. DLite

DLite New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Santa Ana ,CA

It's easy to figure out why DaMarcus isn't going to Guatemala, Honduras, or Nicaragua. No one is interested in him.;) If a team was interested in DMB we would have heard about it by now. :)

20. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antigua Guacamole FC is interested in DMB.

At least, I'm interested in his playing for them.

I wonder if Thursday nights are still free at the Casbah?

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful country, friendly people, $$$$$, good food