Ryan Babel

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by richsavare, Jul 24, 2007.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I read that Babel defied Van Basten by choosing for Liverpool as VB wants players who play in the Dutch League.

Does anyone know if this is really true, and what exactly VB has said of this transfer?

2. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    no it's not true, but van basten shouldn't pick babel anymore, because he is one of the most overrated players.
    and the man who is in charge with the dutch NT is not MVB, but grandpa j. cruyff.

3. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
  4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

5. As far as my knowledge goes, van Basten didnot target this specific transfer. He warned the Young Orange players not to go abroad if they want to make a chance for the 2008 Euro Championship with the big Orange team.
    So if Royston wants to shine in the 2008 Euro campain he knows where to play this year:D

6. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    If Van Basten wants to win, he wants under 21 players to go abroad

7. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yes but when they're ready - sitting on the bench at Real is not as good as playing every game at Feyenoord or Ajax or wherever

8. feyenoordrt

feyenoordrt New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Dallas
    Very true, and Bable isn't going to get much play time at Liverpool with all the midfielders they already have.

9. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Especially if he doesn't impress at the left-wing spot immediately as pt upfront is going to be limited since the additions of Torres and Voronin.

Why Babel, why...

10. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Because Benitez does a brilliant job in buying sucky players

11. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Calling Babel, Kuyt, Mascherano, Pennant, Sissoko, Leivia and Torres "sucky" is very bold Paul. You might be right about Agger, not sure who else Rafa has bought.

12. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    "You might be right about Agger"

Agger has been a very good signing and is one of the best young centre backs in England imo.

I kind of get the impression from reading this and other forums that a lot of Dutch fans can't understand why Liverpool have spent so much money on Babel. Is that correct?

Can people who have seen a lot of Babel answer the following questions please:

1) Is Babel good enough for Liverpool's first team now?

2) If not, do you think he will be in the future?

3) Do you think he plays best as a striker or a winger?

4) Is he worth 18m euros?

Thanks.

13. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thats because they dont see raw, undeveloped talent if it were to hit them in the face
    Possibly already now, for sure in the future
    Winger
    Player value, NO
    Transfer value, YES

14. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Babel started against Portsmouth. Sounds like he had some success challenging defenders 1v1, but was a disappointment overall...He'll be ok with time, just needs to adjust a little.

15. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    He came on for 15 mins against Werder Bremen and did nothing. Started against Auxere and was useless (looked like he'd never kicked a ball before) and then played an hour against Portsmouth and did nothing again.

For 18m euros for a 20 year old, I'm expecting the next Cruyff, Bergkamp, or Van Basten!

16. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    yes I think Ajax laughed their pants off. I didn't know why Henk ten Cate always set Babel in the starting 11, he always failed, the only thing he can do is kick a ball very hard from stillstanding. There where better options like Kenneth Perez.
    Very stupid from Liverpool, but you will never know, his playstyle may fit good to the english, fast attacks with his hard shot, with fysical play!!!

17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Take it easy on Babel!

What past Ajax matches were you watching to even suggest that Ten Cate had better options? You are mad!

The price is over the top indeed, but he has a lot of ability. Big, strong, fast, excellent skills.

The problem is that he has to have time to settle, Remember they have not even played any proper matches so what are you expecting?

With that point made I must admit Liverpool will be a tough club for him or most other players as the Manager is always making changes in the team, tactics, etc.

18. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    1. No
    2. Probably
    3. He needs to focus on the striker position. He's not a winger, certainly not in a 4-4-2 system.
    4. No

19. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    kenneth perez, but ten cate didn't like him in the personal way, but every time he came in there was danger or goals.
    babel has no technique. But I think he can be good when the play from the counter, because he is fast and has a hard long distance shot. but when it comes to heading and outplaying defenders and goalies, there are many strikers better than him.

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I believe I already stated here before that this was a great transfer for Ajax.

18 million is ludicrous.

Still, if you get Kuyt, you might as well get Babel. I expect him to do well over time.

21. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Mascherano was not bought and can´t play
    Torres sucks
    Sissoko and Pennant are average team players and way to expensive
    Kuyt is worth maybe 3 milion euro´s
    Leiva is not coming, that would have been the only good transfer he made

22. cuppatea

cuppatea Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Liverpool
    Mascherano was not bought and can´t play - What do you mean, "can't play"? Do you mean "can't play" as in he sucks, or "can't play" as in he's not allowed to play for Liverpool? Either way, you're wrong.

Torres sucks - We'll see...

Sissoko and Pennant are average team players and way to expensive - We could sell Sissoko now for twice what we paid for him. He wasn't expensive at all, and both Juventus and Barcelona showed interest in him this summer. Pennant was expensive, but we could still sell him for what we paid.

Kuyt is worth maybe 3 milion euro´s - He's frustrating, lots of work and not a lot of quality, but still, if he's good enough to play regularly for the Dutch national team...

Leiva is not coming, that would have been the only good transfer he made - Actually he's already here, and played his first game for Liverpool in a friendly against Portsmouth last week.

Benitez also signed players like Xabi Alonso and Pepe Reina, who have done very well since they came here.

23. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Our front 3 are Robben, Ruud and vPersie, Kuijt is not a starter.

24. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    you never know with marco van basten, he already played sometime with kuijt as rightwinger:eek: and babel in the starting 11. and he selected slory when he was playing at excelsior.

25. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    Paul