Ruud charged by FA - 3 Match Ban

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by andrew neave, Oct 25, 2004.

1. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Re: Ruud going to get Ban ???

I was referring to Wenger calling Riley a cheat in that post.
    If I stated it confusing, then sorry.

No problem with Wenger getting fined for calling Ruud a cheat. Managers should refrain themselves for things like that.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=314339&cc=5901

Wenger has been called in to explain his comments. Its just things as usual, United winning, Wenger complaining.

Are there any video clips of this incident? I couldn't watch the match yesterday and was limited to listening to it over the internet.

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

I think it has something to do with being Dutch. Somebody said in another thread that Bergkamp is sometimes a sneaky bastard, and I have to agree that Dennis is known to give a little "extra" when he thinks he's not being watched. By the look on RvN's face, you've got to believe he knew what he was doing.

Maybe one match but not 3.

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

I keep wondering how Mourinho would deal with a situation like this. Probably by somehow turning it around on SAF, would be my guess. :p Can't wait for our games against Arsenal and our trip to Manchester...........

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Between the posting itself and the lovely Rooney mug avatar, I'm gettin' a bit more than confused than normal. I think this is what Beggbie in Trainspotting felt like after that incident on that night out in London!

[​IMG]

6. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast

Firstly, disciplinary action against Van Nistelrooy is long over due, although I would have thought a charge of bringing the game into disrepute for persistent diving should have been added.

Also, Begbie is no bufty.

7. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    Re: Ruud charged by FA

Not even a die-hard Man U fan cant complain about this! He clearly stamped on the Cole!

8. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston

I'm confused. You think Ruud shouldn't get the harshest ban because Cole got up?? If you believe it was intentional you have to ask for 3 games at the minimum! For fukc sake!

Old Trafford or not. Biggest game of the season (to date) or not. It is irrelevant that players for both teams were putting themselves about all afternoon. That was a dirty play. If that had been a Sunday league game, there would have been a brawl right then and there. It was totally unreasonable.

And for all of you posters watching the replays while drinking SAF-flavored kool-aid, there is no way a player picks his knee up to his waste with the ball right beside him in order to do anything with the ball.

[​IMG]

Look at that and tell me "Ruud didn't see Ashley Cole." Look where the ball is resting! Ruud's boot is a full foot higher. You want to believe he's simply trying to roll it? That is a stomp as plain as day.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You may find people who are more inclined to view the world as you do over in the Arsenal forum.

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes

It's not that at all. I just don't feel that it deserves 3 matches. I'm a hockey fan, so sanctioned violence doesn't affect me that much, I guess.

He'll probably get 3, but he probably would have gotten off lighter if he had been given a red during the game. He would have had to serve the automatic 1 match ban and that would have been it, I'm sure, but seeing as how it wasn't called during the match he'll probably be dealt with more harshly as the FA doesn't want players to think they can "get away with" things.

I'm on your side in the argument, Jasonismo. I just have to wear the "Shrek Badge of Shame" because of a bet.

11. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston

Haha, yeah. I know about the bet. There's no mistaken identity here.

I was simply wondering how you could reconcile the opinion that it was intentional and yet only deserving a one-match ban. I get it now: you're a hockey fan. ;)

Hey, Mot, "view the world?" It's a photograph--empirical evidence that can be evaluated by the senses--not a philosophy for life.

12. Omar23033

Omar23033 New Member

May 24, 2004

Rudd's gonna get a three game ban, since it's pointless for a ManU player to appeal an FA charge these days. Ohh if that was Ronaldo i'd say he was rolling it :) . One question though who won the last match ? :D .

Oh and I hope the BOSOX win it all this year, so the Cubs get theirs next year

13. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona

I'd take this sentiment more seriously if it had shown up in any way, shape, or form after the handbags last year at OT. Rather, people on this board did everything possible to fan the flames and made it out to be one of the great tragedies of the last 100 years or something!

I agree with you in principal, but I'll take it'll have more traction when it is said by ManU fans in a situation where we're discussing a banning of a player not on ManU.

14. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Alas, the alleged hypocrisy of United fans on the issue should in no way undermine the arguments they advance. Such arguments' merit is independent of the motives of their proponents :).

Incidentally, if you believe that RVN should be banned for an activity consistent with innocent conduct...what about Edu's horror tackle on Scholes? Scholes is often reviled by you guys for consistently late tackles. Edu's tackle on Scholes was later and nastier than any of Scholes's. If you can infer intent from simply how nasty something is...why aren't you proposing a ban for Edu? It's at least as obvious as RVN's (and more, imho, since at least Edu could clearly see where Scholes was (and that the ball was gone)).

15. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston

Your question is answered easily. Edu's offense was spotted by the referee and penalized during the game. Since the matter was addressed at the time by the match official, it is not subject to FA review, and so no further punishment can be applied.

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

That's not a stomp.

This is a stomp:
    [​IMG]

17. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Alas, you have failed to be responsive to my post. Please read my posts for what they actually say, rather than the weaker argument you would like to respond to.

Nowhere did I indicate that the FA should charge him now. Merely that if a ban would be appropriate for RVN, a ban would also be appropriate for Edu. If his tackle was intentional, then surely it should be placed in the same category of foul play as RVN's.

So, may I have your admission that the referee made a mistake in penalizing Edu so lightly during the game? And that Arsenal got off too easily? If so, I'm happy to hear it. If not, I'd like an explanation of your double standard. For someone who accuses us of hypocrisy, your posts are rife with it.

Of course, I suppose there is a third possibility: that bad, intentional fouls that are surreptitious should be penalized more harshly as they undermine the game to a greater extent. I think there's some value to that argument, though not enough to justify letting Edu off with a tap in the hand while giving RVN a 3 match ban.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

"but its the principle" or so we were told... if it was that worrying we might have at least heard someone say "that tackle was worrying, I hope he does not make a habit of this, its not good for the team or its reputation and its dirty." I've neither heard nor read any comments like that and its fair to say I should not expect any because most fans will admit to a wrong act by a player on their team but few would welcome sanction.

19. manc_sean

manc_sean Red Card

Aug 27, 2004
    Manchester

I see David Dein's up to his old tricks again.

Cole deserved it, it's a man's game and I hate the way clubs go snitching to some beaurocratic body who knows nothing about football over a bruise.

20. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa

really boys, the thing ruud did IS NOT THAT BAD!!!! I do worse everytime i play in my regional league.. people probably kick ruud, grab his ass(unfortunately, it happens..)..punch him off the ball, it's just part of football, so in my eyes, this is not that bad....atleast the ball is in the play...

21. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty

What about fckin Peanut head trying to knee someone in the head. Cole deserved that, for all that jumped up cocky shittyness he exudes. Have Arsehole fans forgot about all those two footed lunges he performs when things dont go as planned? Tables turned so Whinger complained to the school principal because Ashley got bullied ahhhhhh.

22. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston

This was the question I answered. The issue with Edu is moot. Thus, no discussion of it. But thanks for your snippy, insulting reply, which goes to show that not all Man. U. fans are worth a reply.

23. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston

This is the only place where I've seen this tackle mentioned. I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with my position regarding Edu and his (lack of) defensive abilities, but I have pointed out in the past that against slick opposition he is worth a yellow easily, and this can be a liability. Not to mention that sometimes his tackles are cringe-worthy. I can only hope he improves or finds another way to cope with pacey opposition.

For the specific tackle against Scholes, I don't recall it, so I can't comment on it specifically. I have simply taken you at your word. I hope Edu can improve his tackling in midfield, because it has always worried me.

As for admitting a wrong act, regarding the incident under review by the FA, there is scarcely any of this besides Prawn. So, I'm not sure that it's true that "most fans will admit to a wrong act by a player on their team." As far as I've read, most posters here are in support of Ruud and believe he is innocent.

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ruud:

25. Nicky Butt

Nicky Butt New Member

Jan 21, 2004

Ruud and Ronaldo are marked men every time they touch the ball. They get fouled constantly. Now maybe someone might think twice before challenging Ruud.