Rusty Pierce Training with Mainz 05

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by todd11, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I agree with most of what you wrote- his p[assing aoffnse is limited.I would also say he WAS a hack, but really toned it down in the last year or two.

2. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Actually he was/is the best man-marker in the MLS. At the end of 2003 Arena called him into the US camp, but he went for groin surgery instead. He is equally good covering physical forwards as he is covering fast ones, and when things breakdown he freelances well. Unfortunately he is poor as an attacking player which limits his value to any team playing 4 in the back, and he tends to be too impulsive to play in the center. He could probably do well in Germany on a team that plays with 3 in the back. Yes he's a hack, but good at it.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
  4. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Rusty returns

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2004/12/01/man_of_style_and_substance?pg=2

Middle of the page mentions that Pierce returns to the US after a 10 day trial. Interesting quotes from his agent Michael Becker:

I thought Mainz was a good option and he had a five-day tryout extended another five days," said Luxembourg-based agent Michael Becker, who also represents Bayern Munich's Michael Ballack. "After 10 days, the coach said it was not right. There were more options coming up, but he is going back to get married. He will be away a week, then it is the winter break here, so that's my final call.

"The second division here would be something to look at, but a lot of US players don't want to do it. If you are not with the No. 1 teams in the second division, you are looking at MLS salaries. In sheer financial terms, you can make 200,000 to 250,000 a year, which is like the MLS, but they forget that it is in euros and it's a nice tax rate."

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Rusty returns

I don't get it. The Euro is good now but the Euro tax rates usually aren't. (Maybe he's comparing it to Taxachusets? :) )

Setting aside a possible improvement in coaching and competition, another advantage to the BL2 is that one is contantly being paraded in front of scouts and a €200,000 contract can quickly double or even triple with a string of solid performances.

6. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    so ramiro corrales gets a european deal and people are finding it a stretch that rusty pierce could too?

the mls now has 12 teams, all the european first (and to some extent second division) teams number well over 100, and pay better than mls, why is this so suprising. he shares an agent with michael ballack, pays his own way to germany, seems like the guy was trying to improve his financial situation.

is he good enough is the question. but, I'd like to point out that the fringe player Brian West became like the next big thing in norway. and sure norway does not equal german BL, but why not shoot for the stars. maybe someone from mainz could recommend rusty to another, probably, smaller european club.

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

Did Rusty make anything close to this amount? I would be very surprised if the answer is yes.

8. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    Wow, how personal......

9. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

I think this is a pretty fair assesment of Rusty Pierce.

I remember last year on the Revs board, that people were actually talking about Pierce for RB on the US Nats team. I questioned the logic behind that, saying he has no handle on the ball, and the whole board erupted.

The guy is an ok defender, anything having to do with a ball though, he is def. not able to handle the Bundesliga.

And I don't think it's as much being lazy, as fouling is part of his game. Intimidate teh opponent. Get a rep, etc.

10. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Odd comment -- If in dollars, 200k to 250k per year is the top end of MLS (which is far above where Rusty used to be and significantly above what I would expect him to get if he re-ups with the league), and if it's in Euros, so much the better considering how strong the Euro is against the dollar right now. Certainly the taxes would be of some concern, but are they so high that Rusty wouldn't be coming out ahead?

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He switched from the right side to the center of defense a few years ago.

The lowdown on Pierce: I'm a bigger fan than most here for some reason. Extremely hard worker and showing up at Mainz and trying to impress fits his character. Has some speed and quickness and will do his best to make big plays on defense. Was the Revs best defender last year, but to an extent that's damning with faint praise. Is known for having a hair-trigger temper but that seems to have improved a little the last few years. Sort of a Hejduk clone but with even worse offensive skills and a worse temper. Has very little ability going forward. His high work rate often gets him in some trouble as it's not that hard to drag him out of position.

The Bundesliga is probably a bit above where he can successful but if thrown into it, he's not likely to be intimidated and will give it his best. I think he can fill numbers and I also think he could make it at BL2 or in the top leagues in Switzerland, Austria, Poland, etc.

Probably not National Team material with right back being his best shot, but his lack of offense pretty much ruling him out there too.