Russian section of NYC?

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by cmblfc, Jul 1, 2005.

1. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a Russian section of NYC, with Russian, or eastern european shops? I thought that there was. Sometime this year, I want to go down and buy a Matryoshka doll for my friend, and stock up on some other merch and memerobillia.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Brighton Beach. Take the Q to the next to last stop and voila - you're in a bizarro version of Odessa. Vodka and..........vodka for all!

3. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said. Brighton Beach is trip to the surreal and IMHO one of the few placss worth visiting in NYC (sorry, not a big fan of the city or its denizens, a la Torpedo.)

4. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Oh wow - maybe I'll head down there this weekend - just to go hang out for a while. It sounds awesome!

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Awesome may not be the right word. Brighton Beach is only about 5-6 blocks, so you exhaust places of interest pretty quickly, and if you're not already in Brooklyn it takes a while to get to. Surreal is the better word. If you're in the area, I'd definitely encourage you to go. If you're making a trip just for it, you might be a bit disappointed.
    As for one of the few places worthwhile in NYC - true. If by "few" you mean 1,000 or so. ;)

6. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I work in the Bronx, so getting down to it wouldn't be a problem. It'd be a nice Saturday thing to do with a few friends.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's true, and its also one stop away from Coney Island.

8. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    There is also "little Kiev". Two or three blocks on Second Ave around 15th street. Lots of Ukrainian bars and diners and whatnot.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's true, and its also one stop away from Coney Island.

10. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    hey NPA can u post ur predictions?

11. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    Brighton Beach is quite nice, and its worth a few hours of shopping if you really get into it... but who picked the location of the Russian center of community to be under one of 'em subway tracks was an idiot. Other than that, the food you can buy on the street is remeniscient of the food one would at their own risk buy at a small town "rinok", in both the good and bad aspects of it.

Forza Moskva you twat, no need to remind him (im playing him this week) ;)

12. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    That's it slitty, you're dead. My mind games have been tested on Zenit and Alex.Spike and now you will be the next victim.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Been to Brighton Beach once and it was the only time in America where i felt that i never left Odessa. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but it definitely hit a soft spot.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ukrainian cultural center has a quality bar.

15. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    East Village in NYC is a Western Ukrainian area, Brighton Beach is mainly Russian speaking Jewish immigrants from Ukraine. There really aren't any notable Russia communities in America of large size. San Fransisco and Pensyllvania (Russian speaking Rusyns and Lemkos) are the only ones i could think of.

16. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wha??? You're kidding, right?

17. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Upper East Side has a lot of German and Hungarian restaurants/stores.

18. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Zenit being Russian speaking does not necessarily make u Russian.

19. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    I think making fun of Zenit and his heritage is my job.

20. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never claimed it did. Can u point out where I actually said that?? In fact, if you've been paying close attention to current events in other threads here, you would have seen that I've taken great pains to point out that I indeed have no Russian lineage whatsoever, in spite of what many people here think.

And being Russian doesn't make u an expert about Russians in America. For you to say there are no appreciable Russian emigre communities in the USA makes me wonder how long you've actually been here. However, I realize that may be how it seems to you, you and the 4 other CSKA fans that live in the USA.

21. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Excuse me? First off where do u come off trying to treat me? Not only was I NOT trying to be a smart ass but what i said is completely true. Did u read my post on the first page? Then u would understand what my response to u was all about. It had no malice or stick to it whatsoever.

Give me one LARGE Russian Orthodox community in the United States.

22. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Mind u I've already mentioned San Francisco ( the original American home of Russians fleeing from the Bolsheviks, although it is by no means a large Russian Orthodox community as of now) and the Lemkos and Rusyns in Penssylvania who speak and belong to the Russian Orthodox Church of America.

23. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. You are talking about Russian Orthodox communities, I thought you were speaking about Russian emigre populations in general.

24. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Los Angeles has a very large Eastern European community. There are 3 groups that really make up LA. The Serbians,the Russians ,and the Romanians. There is a a Russian orthodox church, and a Romanian orthodox church in LA. Not too sure about the Serbians, but they have a large following.

25. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    I'm sure ProfZodiac can vouch for me when I say Worcester has a large Russian/Albanian population