Russian 2018/2022 World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by metros11, Oct 9, 2009.

1. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would go, but I'm in support of the American bid.

3. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ordinarily, I would be, but I think 18 and 22 will go USA and England, respectively. It would be hard to imagine England getting beat out by Russia when it comes around to the European turn again.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would much prefer Russia to England.

The funny thing is that when we discussed this on the board, our list of cities was pretty close to what they put out there.

5. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    You think U.S. is going to beat out England in 2018? It could happen but I think FIFA stated their intentions when they canceled the rotational system before its last stop in N. America :rolleyes:

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europe will get one of the bids, but the other one will go somewhere else. The US will not have to compete against European countries, but countries like Mexico or Australia.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/08/fa-england-2018-world-cup-bid

7. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting development and nice website.

I took a flight between St. Ptb and Kaliningrad and it was like a plane straight out of the 1960s..... and Kaliningrad has like 2 western hotels..... so some ways to go.

I would prefer Russia to England as well. There is enough English in world soccer right now.

A ton of those cities would need stadium upgrades. Like first division cities would need new stadiums. Huge task.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico dropped it's bid. As of right now England is the favorite for 2018, and 2022 is a battle between Australia and the US. I don't care so much for England, I'd rather the Russians grease some palms just like the Ukrainians did and get the 2018 games. After that, well it's basically a coin flip for me.

9. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was this? Aeroflot and Rossiya are allegedly updating their entire fleet with Sukhoi SJs, Antonov 148s and some Western aircraft. BUT, knowing the Russian carriers, the lovely Tu-154 (GREAT plane, but there are only so many hours a jet airframe can take) and Yak-40 will still be doing the vast majority or domestic flights.

Was it a tri-jet or a turbo prop?

10. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year literally a year from now. It was Rossiya. LOL timecapsule. I don't know any furthur details

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England's bid is falling apart, and apparently Russia is moving into the forefront for 2018.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    falling apart? why?

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    So England with countless quality stadiums is behind Russia, a country with one suitable WC stadium ? :D

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia has more experience in the handbag department.

16. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Ok, let's make this really easy and simple for everybody on this thread. There's a (next to) zero percent chance thart Russia gets either the 2018-2022 World Cup.

If anyone is willing to wager, I'll be giving 20-to-1 odds.

I think it's safe to say that one (but only one) of those World Cups would go to a European host. Within Europe, the pecking order is England, Spain, then Russia and Netherlands/Belgium. So, for Russia to win, both England and Spain would have to self-destruct. On top of everything, Ukriane isn't doing Russia any favors with its 2012 Euro preparations.

Since we're on the matter, I think the non-Euro cup hosting will be a contest between USA and Australia.

17. Tsarevich

Tsarevich New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    York, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    England has basically already won 2018, even Jack Warner, who is an anti-English racist and who has done everything in his power to undermine English football, has backed the bid. Russia would have been great but not while it demands visas from practically every citizen on the planet to visit there - open up first, then the people will come and the rewards, like the World Cup, will come.

2022 will be Australia, in the same vein as South Africa's "new continent" status and FIFA's corrupt officials wanting to be seen to be expanding the game around the world. After the boredom and inconvenience of 1994, the States shouldn't be given the tournament for at least another 30 years.

18. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey I think Gazprom arena is on pace for 2016.... hopefully!

I really want more fans in the stadium in st. petersburg.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard rumors that Russia plans a temporary visa free program for the olympics? Do you know anything?

What do you mean by boring and inconvenience? Boring as in the crowds or play? Inconvenience by the spread out venues? I was 10 at the time so I don't remember much.

20. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are 25?

21. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I see we have a comedian on the forum.:rolleyes: Unlike various past world cups, we filled up practically all the matches even between teams that most could care less about in the early rounds. The US can't be blamed for the boring final match.:p

22. Tsarevich

Tsarevich New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    York, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The tournaments in 1994 and 2002 are widely acknowledged as the lowest quality tournaments in the modern era. Yes the stadiums were full, fair enough, but the practicalities of the distances travelled made it a nightmare for a lot of fans. I'm sure it will be exactly the same in South Africa and it is a problem Russia would definitely face.

For organisation though you won't find a better World Cup than the one in Germany which was fantastic.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am loathe to give out my exact age, but it is somewhere around there.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you saying they should only hold the tournament in Western Europe?

25. Tsarevich

Tsarevich New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    York, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    What?!? Where did I say that?

If anything quite the opposite, that's why the US shouldn't have it again so soon, they only had it 15 years ago! Let's see what places like Australia, China can do before we start repeating venues so quickly.