Russia will not only advance out of the group, but over perform

Discussion in 'GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia' started by BalanceUT, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #26 Colo-Colo62, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Follow the money. Russia must advance from group stage in order to maintain a WC-hype in a country where icehockey is the most popular sport. However, watching Brazil make ‘em look like lame ducks last week, shows that they are miles from world class. This should come as no surprise since they’re listed as No. 62 in the FIFA ranking.

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well I think we always knew Russia was nowhere near world class. There is no comparison between Brazil and Russia. If anyone expected them to beat Brazil, they are out of their mind.

3. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    They sure are. But that’s the conditions for most countries against Brazil, ain’t it. They don’t stand a chance.

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No not necessarily. I'd say any top European team has the chance to beat Brazil. France, Germany, Croatia, Belgium, Spain, Portugal. Not saying that they all would be favorites against Brazil, but all of the teams I listed would have a good chance at the very least. Maybe England on a good day as well, although I am not sure what to expect from them.

5. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    They have the talent to pull it off, so yeah, I'd add them.

6. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I see no reason why Russia can’t mimic what South Korea did in 2002. Anyone really see France winning in 1998 before the tournament?

7. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  8. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I see a big one: lack of talent.

9. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #34 tudobem62014, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    refs can help there. World Cup is more wwe than Olympics.

10. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wonder if VAR pauses will be blamed for changing momentum in the game.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Anyone surprised by the VAR reversal in England-Italy yesterday that awarded Italy a PK? The announcers (not sure if they were American or English) weren't even taking the possibility seriously, and then boom, a reversal.

I'm wondering if VAR will lead to more PKs, as any kind of impeding contact in the box is technically a foul, but referees prior to VAR have always had the discretion to find the amount of contact to be insufficient to warrant a PK. That may not be possible with VAR.

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was a clear penalty.

13. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Maybe they come up with plays that aren’t reversible.

Do the refs on the forum known the guidelines what is considered a dive and what is not. Sometimes they call it a dive in the penalty box but there is contact which would suggest it isn’t a dive.

14. Colo-Colo62

Colo-Colo62 Member

Colo-Colo
    Brazil
    Mar 27, 2018
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I have the same concern about VAR. Furthermore, it could disrupt the flow of the game. When combined, these two factors pose a disadvantage that should be evaluated in order to make VAR a fully integrated and functionally part of The game. This will naturally take some time.

15. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Oh come on. In the slow motion, you can see that Chiesa feels the tug on his arm, deliberately makes contact with the other English defender and goes to ground. Slight contact, but not enough to knock him off his feet. Pretty much a dive, IMO.

Play starts around 2:15.

16. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Thank God we'll have the VAR on this WC!
    :rolleyes:

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Russia will get out of the group, but would be shocked if they made it much further... mind you, if they did make the quarters as group winners that would be awesome as I'm going to that QF in Nizny....

18. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #43 tudobem62014, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    100% sure they will r16 at the expense of Egypt or Uruguay. More likely Egypt. They gonna intimidate them like nuts. Then be pitted against Portugal in the r16. Gonna be scary for any Portugal fans. Could stop here, but I think they will quarterfinals to semifinals. So that means a win against Ronaldo’s team. If Argentina wins group D they will face them in the qfinal and lose, but they might face Nigeria, Iceland, Croatia, Australia, Peru, or Denmark who are all very beatable and then advance to the semis where they will run into Germany. If Mexico tops Germany in group F. Russia could go all the way to the Final.

19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    That is some wild speculation. :rolleyes:

The Russian team I've seen over the past couple of years, they will be hard-pressed to even get out of the group, much less past R16.

vancity eagle repped this.
  20. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't think they get out of the group. 1 win, 2 losses.

21. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    I think you should bet some money on that!
    You are gonna be rich ^^

tudobem62014 repped this.
  22. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Crazier things can happen. Germany might not repeat as champions it hasn’t been done since Pele times. When you win something unless you are super overpowered or ruthless it’s hard to repeat because your drive is gone. I would say same goes for Spain and France (though it’s more the fact that most of their players do not play together on club teams). France barely survived Germany save for that pk @ the euro. Argentina might be hungriest, but their defense is unproven (Messi has so much pressure on him). England will probably do better now that there is no expectations on them anymore. Belgium has good individuals also but they are all on different teams in the premier league (which is a bonus). Croatia and Russia could do better than expected. There are no clear favorites outside of Germany and Brazil, but they are susceptible. It will be a fun World Cup... no guaranteed wins

23. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I guess you can say that for all world cups

24. Flipo

Flipo Member

Real Madrid
    Germany
    Aug 7, 2017
    Russia will face SA in the first match. Russia will take the home country advantage. The match will be more exciting beyond you think.

25. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #50 tudobem62014, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    We all talked about something happening to allow Russia to succeed and now we have it. Spain is without a manager... will they fall apart like France 2010? It is possible. I 100% believe Russia will make it to the quaterfinals at the very least now. Love it! Makes the atmosphere of the World Cup 100% better if the hosts play 7 games