Russia may reject Kyotto protocol. Will the world now come to an end?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Oct 16, 2003.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    www.heraldsun.com/nationworld/14-396805.html

If this story turns out to be true, and Russia does not ratify the Kyotto protocol, that means that the agreement is dead.

Does this mean the end of the world is at hand? Or could it possibly be a good thing? Maybe now the nations of the world can move on to try to work on something that is fair for everybody.

What are the opinions of the wise people of Big Soccer?

2. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Kyoto is a completly meaningless agreement. Scientist predict that the average temperature of the earth will rise by 3-5 C. Even if Kyoto was fully implemendeted it could only take out a half of a celsius. It's not worth it. A somwhat warmer planet is not a major problemt. Keep spending oil without a guilt feeling.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is the part that troubles me. Can the leadership of Russia be serious about this?

4. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    What's wrong with that?

5. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Umm, pardon me for asking, but are you joking?

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Try telling all of that to those that live in sensitive areas.

7. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    If you were living in Libiya wouldn't you be hoping for a bit of global cooling, no matter how much those Russians and Canadians would freeze?
    By sensitive areas you mean what ? I guees you base it on the theory that warming will cause the rise of the sea level. That is a very stupid notion. If you don't realise why I'll explain it to you.
    How do we know that global warming won't cause more good things than bad?

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How about farmers? The most insignifigant increase would mean less rain for the crops. We're aready going through a long drought here. It's said to be even worse than the "Dirty Thirties".

What about loggers, hot weather without moisture dries up wood, making it difficult to sell. Also increases the risk for forest fires.

Those who live off the land (ie. Innuit in the Arctic) as certain food sources dissapear or become more hard to find.

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In a related story, Al Gore was found in a fetal position, clutching his lock box dearly.

11. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Some parts of the world will have a higher temperature and less rain. Others will have a higher temperature and more rain. It will also defrost some areas and make them avialable for farming.

We don't know that GW will be a bad thing for the planet. And fully implementing Kyoto would only hurt the world economy, with minimal efect in stoping the warming.

Man, I'm arguing from the "right" of Doyle G. I kinda like it.

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Obvious you don't undertsand the term "permafrost" and what happens when it melts.

The only reason it would hurt the economy is if they delayed implementation. The longer they wait to implement any such accord, the more it will cost.

I'm no fan of Kyoto either, but whose got a better idea.

13. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I'm now repeting myself but: has anyone proven that a warmer planet will be a bad thing? Are you claiming that there are apsolutly no parts of the earth that would benefit from a warmer climate?
    It might even bring more rain to the deserts,pushing the borders of the tropical climate to the north and the south.
    I admit, I'm not aware of the negative consquenses of defrosting. I'd be happy to learn from you.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just go to Siberia and see what defrosting has done to their cities.

As for you, you must have gotten your leave from the asylum to post.