Russia 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juveeer, Nov 20, 2015.

1. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe 1 image from a 2 day old article is considered fair use:

[​IMG]

USAMEX10 repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. If they actually made the World Cup, I have little doubt that team would embarrass the country. It's terrible. Morales/Williams at DM. Zardes is not starter caliber for the U.S. Ream can't match up on the wing and provide width. Brooks has too many mental lapses, is reckless, and surprisingly bad in the air defensively. Guzan has poor range in net. Yedlin's 1st touch and defending that's not effort based are tenuous right now. Wood is in gs form right now but would it keep up when it's the first time as a pro? Altidore is unreliable. Bradley, Johnson, and Cameron will all be over 30, although not way over. Those are the only players I'd project to be starters. I'd want Besler, Lletget, Nagbe, Miazga, Lichaj, and Hamid at 6 of the other positions. Forward is up in the air right now for the U.S. But I'm thinking of guys such as Morris, Maars, Agudelo, and Finlay emerging; pushing Altidore and Wood types to backup roles. I more believe in the talent and/or consistent mindsets of those guys.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This would be a good template to start with but definitely several spots that could be enhanced by certain players.

GK: only spot that could be really contested for imo would be Hamids. Horvath is doing exceptionally well in CL futbol although young.
    LB: looks solid enough and would be ok with those 2. If anyone can challenge them even better.
    CB: would say the same as LB. although personally I would put Cameron as starting DM
    RB: I think although sometimes struggling on the positioning side, we can live with Yedlin there. Payne would be an excellent backup/potential starter
    LW: I like it looks solid
    DM: not convinced with both could see other DMs supplant them. Guys like Acosta (who is also very effective CM), Trapp, Ulloa, Dax, etc would potential guys.
    CM: Solid enough
    RW: don't like it I think both should have there positions really challenged. Finlay/others are potential guys there
    ST: ok I guess Dempsey could definitely slide in there and other guys could challenge there

All in all the more competition at a spot the better. We could have a great squad if the right guys are selected

5. Jeff Wineberg

Jeff Wineberg Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Might Maars be able to find a place in our weak forward pool?