Russell Set for Jamaica Call Up

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Schalke? Did I miss something?

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Rumors. Rangnick. And Stevie's contract expires at the end of the season, which would make sense for Hanover to move him during the winter break.

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Isn't MLS cup on sunday...nov 14, with the jamaica match nov 17...

anyone going 90 minutes on a sunday....celebrating, followed by LA to Columbus travel , and an international does appear to be a rather daunting task....

In the donovan case...say san jose does make the final....I'd think arena might use donovan as an off the bench spark in the middle of the 2nd half...

let's say gaven gets the start and donovan comes on for him....

4. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    Burciaga? not sure if I am familiar with him. I assume you aren't referring to the burciaga of the mls wizards? he is horrible. seriously.

5. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    They should not do any tests during qualification matches, you have friendlies for that purpose.

But, I still think that Pope should have a higher level colleague next to him in defence

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    That's not what I've heard from most KC fans. I don't think he would be ready yet for the Nats anyway, but he does seem to attack well out of the back. He has more chance of getting called then some unknown Arsenal reserve player.

7. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Question for someone closer to Martino's recent form with Columbus (adimttedly, not me). Would Martino be a possibility in the a-mid slot for Jamaica if Landon is in the MLS Cup final and Kyle is not?

I can't see Gaven getting the A-mid start in this one.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arena was more comfortable with Martino than Gaven in the A-mid spot, why did he call up Gaven, not Martino, for the last sets of qualfiers?

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BA is not dealing with a 17 year old Gaven or a 20 year old EJ here, this is a 25 year old man with champions league experiece and a few years playing in a league thats probably better top to bottom then MLS. This guy is a top defender in Norway. No reason to ween him by sitting him on the bench to watch jamaica play. I think Bruce starts him and Gooch in this game along with Pope and probably Convey or hopefully Boca. Not a Convey fan but thats a different thread all together

10. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not sure it's either/or with these two. I see Martino as potential depth at the a-mid position. After Donovan. After Mathis. I see Gaven as a potential right mid more than as an a-mid.

I think Gaven was called up recently and not Martino for a couple reasons. One, Martino had already gotten a few looks with the USMNT and did not perform. (A while ago.) Bruce was giving him time away from the team to show his stuff in MLS. It sounds like he has in recent months, so a callup might again make sense.

The second reason is because of our lack of depth at right mid. Gaven has shown well playing wide and could be a good answer there.

Would love some insights on Martino's recent performances at a-mid. I thought he was pretty poor the first time around with the USMNT (couldn't keep up with the pace of play around him), but it sounds like he's matured.

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What???

12. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis

I am not being negative just for the sake of it with Burciaga but all I have ever seen him do when he gets posession he just boots it randomly downfield. This isn't just when under pressure and I rarely see him connect with midfielders. He defends alright but I have watched a ton of him since he has been here and I haven't seen it at all. I hope I am wrong, seriously, and am pulling for him going forward. I have him behind Conrad of course and about even with Shavar (maybe I just caught him on a few good games because he doesn't seem to be on the field much recently).