Russell Set for Jamaica Call Up

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Oct 21, 2004.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or

O'Brien ------Boca---------Gooch------Russel

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I agree, spector gets a look at LB, but I think bocanegra against elite competition would be the direction arena will go first...

I think spector at '06 ahs the chance to be the beasley '02 guy....not a factor in qualifying but emerges the spring of 06 and by sheer talent earns a spot..

3. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Yeah, but Gooch and Russell can throw the ball across the entire field. :eek:

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I knew about Gooch's throw-in's, are Russell's equal in prowess?

5. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    The pbp threadmeister {Bluedaddy19 I think} from the PSV-Rosenborg match characterized them as lllllooooonnnnngggg (I paraphrase).

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think it depends. Bruce has hinted that he will try not to call in players who had just played in MLS Cup, so if Columbus makes it that far Hejduk might not be called up as he is probably the option at right back now (for better or worse). Now if Bruce calls up Dolo, he would probably start ahead of Russell, but that is guessing on my part.

7. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I don't get this at all. Why would Bruce Arena bother calling up some obscure player in Norway when he have none other than Frankie Frickin' Hejduk playing in that position.

Go figure.

8. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Why do people assume that if Spector isn't able to break into the lineup as a central defender, we'd put him out left?

Yes I know he played those game for ManU at left back... but that was because they were decimated by injuries.

He's a right footed player and while he did an exceptional job when he got the chance at left back for ManU... I would bet he would be more comfortable on the right (if not in the center). Do I know this for sure? Nope... just assuming...

BAck on topic though...

I'd love to see Russell play against Jamaica... I keep reading about him and really want to see him play.

At halftime we have a competition between him and Gooch to see who can throw it further.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt Russell will play against Jamaica. That's just not Bruce's MO. Impossible? No. But definitely improbable. EJ sat on the bench for a couple games (once in street clothes, alongside Gaven, if I recall) before getting on the field, and Russell will most likely see the same scenario. Just because he's in the 23 man group doesn't mean he'll even make the 18 man gameday roster.

That being said, congrats to him for getting the camp call-up. I think it's great that we are increasing our depth at the outside back positions - the whole backline is looking great as far as having about 3 very good possibilities at each position.

I think it's much more likely we see people like Gaven, Gooch, EJ, and Ching on the field -- players who are still basically rookies but have gotten a couple caps this year and need some more experience.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think it's a mistake to assume Russell won't play just because he hasn't been in a bunch of camps.

First off, as others have noted, this isn't his first camp so he has some familiarity with players.

Second, it's not like it's unprecedented for Arena to cap players without them having been in multiple camps.

Wade Barrett got capped in his first camp. Steve Cherundolo got capped in his first camp. So did Brian Ching and Kerry Zavagnin. There are others, but I'm not gonna look them up.

The guy has no set formula or policy for capping players. A lot of it has to do with form in camp, availability of players and injuries. I mean, if he calls in two other right backs and they both get hurt in training or in the game, you don't think Russell will play.

By the same token, Russell got hurt in his last camp and we don't know if he wouldn't have beaten out Albright - whom we've seen be a disaster, defensively, for LA this year - before the Denmark game if he had been healthy.

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You're right in saying that Arena has no set formula. However, he'll want Russell (or whomever in the future) to feel comfortable with his teammates and vice versa. And you're right, with some players that can happen in the first camp. With others, it might take 2-3. Add to the mix injuries, so in trying to predict if Russell will play against Jamaica, dunno.

And speaking of Albright, is there anyone out there in BSland who'd like to see him don a Nat uniform again? I sure hope not.

12. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Fara s the backline being as big as Germany, I don't remember Russell being really big. Muscular, but not real tall.

13. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be at Crew Stadium for the Jamaica game & can't wait to see Russell, live. I've heard so much about Russell but have never had the chance to see him, since he play in Norway.

I don't know if he'll start v Jamaica but it'll be cool to see him in action.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree because of 2 points:

1) EJ and Gooch rode the pine because Bruce didn't believe they had the experience for an important qualifier. The game against Jamaica is a very different scenerio because it doesn't have as much pressure since we have advanced. It is important to knock Jamaica out, but there is less pressure and younger players fighting for positions may have more motivation.

2) Bruce specifically stated that he wanted to get newer guys involved on defense. This would apply to Gooch and Russell since I believe they are next upcoming players on the backline. Spector and Simick are still a little ways off.

15. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Well, there is no doubt he's a good player.. But he hasn't impressed me lately for RBK.. But that's maybe because he just joined the club, and hadn't yet gotten used to RBK's "football philosophy"..Or their way to play football..
    But I've seen him play live a couple of times for Sogndal, and he's got a talent. No doubt about that!
    I hope he can live up to the talk!

16. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive been watching robbie play in champions league against the likes of arsenal and ive been impressed iwth his play. im excited to see him play for the nats, get into our system. hes a nice alternative on the right flank.

forza inter

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    He is listed at 6'0, so he would tower over Heydude or 'Dolo.

Has for not having enough expierence, he has played in Champions League matches, which have far more to them than any MLS match. And if you think about it, his experience level isn't much different than Zavagnin's in June. After thinking about it a little more, I think Russell will start if the centerback pairing is experieced, he won't if it isn't.

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    My read of the russell matter has him getting 5 or 10 minutes much like onyewu against panama, rather than getting a start.

Assuming onyewu gets a start centrally, I just don't see arena starting TWO relatively new guys in a serious match.

I'd think Sanneh getting a look at RB to me more probable than russel starting there.

As I've posted infinitely..it's time for johnson and gaven and onyewu to get major minutes...

and it's possible for buddle and/or russell to get a few token minutes....

January camp and whatever attendant friendlies will be the time for russell and/or buddle to get major minutes...

and with wcq 2/9/05 luring....those euros would seem to have a huge edge over the rusted mls guys...so all an euro backline could appear..which means it's either cherundolo or russell at RB??

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The pressure of this Q is dwarfed by the CL. However, he's only recently started getting serious minutes with RBK. I think the experience factor, being ready for the pressure of a big match, is very different for RR than Gaven and EJ. He's older and used to high pressure games.
    It's a good call up. Hope he plays, but it's nice to find that he is still in the mix.

20. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on who is playing in what and who he calls in. If Columbus makes mls cup, count out hejduk and sanneh. Then basically it comes down to if he calls in Dolo or not. If he does than obviously Russell won't start.
    You also have to question if Bruce is even gonna call in Boca... maybe he calls in bobby convey to start out left instead.
    We could see something like this...
    --------------Howard-------------
    --Russell--Gibbs--Gooch--Convey--

inexperienced sure, but we don't need experience at home, with a spot in the hex clinched.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think it's a lock Sanneh will be there for the Jamaica game as I don't see Bruce calling in any players who are in MLS Cup and, seeing as how four of the eight previous shield winners have made MLS Cup, it's a 50-50 chance Sanneh won't be available.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this. And, we all know Johnson will be available - though a bit rusty - and that Gooch has an international window. And, I just don't see the Metros leaky defense allowing for Gaven to have a club conflict!

Buddle is obviously in the same boat as Sanneh, as is Hejduk, which means that if the Crew make it to MLS Cup, the chances of Russell getting PT go up. A lot will also depend on if Bruce wants to bring Steve Cherundolo over for what is essentially a glorified friendly.

Among others.

Except that Norway is on a spring-summer-fall schedule a la MLS so unless they advance in the CL, Russell will be in the same boat as the MLS players in terms of match fitness.

I do think we're going to see a lot of Euro-based players for the 2/9 qualifier and I think it is secretly one of the reasons Bruce would love to see Landon go to Europe and that he's happy more guys are over there.

22. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York
    I wouldnt read *too* much into how Bruce handled gooch and EJ as a guide for this match. How he handles friendlies and young players is a lot more indicative in this case. Ej and Gooch were being held out because those matches counted... in this case, from *our* perspective, this match has no real significance. If Bruce has a player who he wants to blood and get some tough comp exposure, this is a great game for it. Not saying russell qualifies here, but its possible.

23. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    after watching columbus last night..sanneh and buddle will be available...they need two goals to get past new England next weekend...

and we can pencil in the metrostars guys too...pope and gaven need 3 in dc...

The question I have is, if Donovan plays in MLS Cup, would he play against Jamaica.

Playing without him, I think makes the USA weak enough for the Boyz to get the win they need...

would arena prefer the option of donovan as a 2nd half sub???

I cannot decide which way this possibility would go.....

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BA could chose to insist on the mandatory four days, and take a player away from a championship game. :eek: Obviously not, but there wouldn't be much problem with LD showing up from the airport and playing, would there? Two games in a week is not unheard of, and two very big games is done quite frequently.
    It's not as if he doesn't know the system. and it's not as if other players can complain that LD is getting preferential treatment. I mean, he would be, but so what.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think this would depend on what Schalke wants to do with Stevie. :)

Don't they have a new Royal League that Rosenborg is about to enter?

I assume it'll play over the winter.