Russell, DeRo, Barclay and Ibsen all need to be on the trading blocks.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Jul 29, 2002.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    We need to package some sort of combo of any or all of these players to get Steve Ralston or a player of his calibre and playing style. Lagos needs playing time on the left, Barclay and Russell are worthless and although talented, DeRo seems like he will never develop into the mature starting FWD that he needs to be. I know I started a thread protecting Ibby last week but if Yallop insists on playing him in crucial situations then he has to go. I'd rather have seen Conway come on for Robinson in that situation. Ibsen has no ability to just stand a guy up, he always commits, granted the Cannon meg was not ihs fault but the fact that the guy even got the shot off is Ibsens fault 100%. If we could get a Ralston we'd be set. Graziani and Donovan would benefit tremendously and Corrales could be a mid or D sub.

Discuss:

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we could get Kelly Gray I'd be happy. I was actually cheering for him to score against my Metros on Saturday! The kid has talent and he's a local boy. As much as I love Devin, he doesn't act like part of the team. Trade Devin for Kelly and I'd be happy.

3. pezboy82

pezboy82 New Member

Nov 18, 2001
    Modesto, CA
    RUIZ FOR DONOVAN!!! :rolleyes:

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you all are totally out of it. All you need is Dayak and Agoos back there keeping things straightened out. That will get the troops back in line.

5. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    LDB: Do you have something against the Rasta Boys (DRo And DB)? Maybe Russell should be traded and possibly DRo. Devin seems to be progressing. Trading him for Kelly Gray wouldn't be good, I don't think he's that good, he almost scored for SJ while here. There shouldn't be any trades if up to me, but if anything happens, then DRo should be the first to go...he's changed man. Zac second...

I agree with Albany though, once Goose and Cowboy are back we'll be good.

TRANSFORM
    MARI

6. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Was once a fan of DeRo and I will forever respect and admire his work rate but he's gotta go and he probably has the most trade value aside from Barclay. Barclay is a younger slower version of Russell.....neither is creative but have gotten by on speed. Ralston would be all the difference in the world on that right side......Dayak and Agoos won't help DeRo Russell or Barclay and I doubt anyone could help Ibsen. Package one some or all of them up and make a deal.

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait Til After The Season!!

They'll all be worth a lot more in trade immediately after we win our second straight MLS Cup.

It's hard to break up a good team but great organizations have a way of weeding out certain players and keeping the crucial ones.

In this league, there's great value in continuity. So I'd love to see us develop younger guys -- I think we have a gem in Lucci, although Frank hasn't seen fit to throw him him in at crucial times yet.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russell - No
    DeRo - No. Too early
    Barclay - Maybe
    Ibsen - Bye. Bye.

Unfortunately, no one wants a package of Barclay and Ibsen...

9. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dyak and Agoos WILL help Ibsen (or at least the team) because when they are healthy Ibsen will never see the field.

10. Richter Boy

Richter Boy New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    Soulard, STL
    What we really need to do is CUT Lucci and Corrales. Better yet, fire them and bad mouth them throughout the league.

11. Ramiros_Soccer_Chica

Jun 10, 2001
    Nor-Cal
    You're a Idiot's Genius.....lol.

Wouldn't that be great though?.....haha..j/k..

TRANSFORM
    MARI

12. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I'd forget about getting Ralston. With his numbers and experience, he would command a steep price. I don't think a combo of any of the 4 mentioned would make NE say, "Oh!!! Hell, yes!!!" to that deal. I'm not even sure you could get K-Gray away from Chicago. Bradley knows talent and he has to see what he has in that kid.

As for our guys, I don't understand what would inspire trading Russell. He does a good job and brings some terrific speed to the team. I don't have any problem with Ian at all.

DeRo...too good a talent to let go. The only way I'd consider doing that is if he grew discontent with the system and his rightful role as a supersub. If he felt that he'd paid dues and should be starting, let him try and get the best player you can for him.

Barclay and Zak...I don't think we'd feel their departures as much but they possess some potential.

Keep in mind, it's also a numbers game with salary. You have to take into account what you'll pay out in new salary, too. Even if the Fire were stupid enough to give us...say, Gray and Armas for DeRo and Barclay, we couldn't pay them.

I say don't screw with the continuity of the team now. Deal with changes in the off-season unless you get a deal you can't refuse. However, no deal should alter your core XI.

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelly is P40 like Devin. Wouldn't this be a straight across trade as far as salaries go? I'm just asking cuz I'm not sure how that all works money wise.

14. QuakeFan Z

QuakeFan Z New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Monte Sereno, CA
    No, no, no!!!!!!!

Don't even think about trading Ian!!!

15. ilovesjquakes13

ilovesjquakes13 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Los Gatos/San Jose
    I do not think that Ian should be traded because he is a great play maker and he deserves respect for that. I don't think any of the other should be traded either. I mean Zak, Ian, and DeRo have all played together last year, but the line-ups are always changing it seems, so they can not get the feel for each other's actions. Devin is just thrown in sometimes and that can disrupt the flow. He seems useless, but I think that he is just nervous. I loved the way he played in TB because he was so confident. Now he just seems scared. They all bring so much to the team.

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russell's just getting back from HIS injury. He'll start playing better soon. You also need him in case Lagos' injury reemerge. Russell's a solid player though, no need to get rid of him.

Corrales is having the year of his life. Why would you want to get rid of hm?

If I'm not mistaken, Barclay played forward with the Mutiny last year and for ost of his life. He's not a natural right mid so sure, he looks awkward out there. He's still a project, no doubt.

Ibsen, all due respect to him, is just another guy. He's a good backup to have around.

DeRo is the wildcard in all this. Would be interesting to see what others would be willing to give up for him.

But I don't see the need to make ANY changes. The Quakes are the defending champs. Not only that, by all accounts they have great team chemistry, something to be messed with at your own peril.

Anyway, the Revs would have to be beyond idiotic (come to think of it, this is not out of the question) to trade Ralston for all 4 or 5 of them. At minimum he's their co-MVP and the glue to their squad.

17. SoccrGirl4

SoccrGirl4 New Member

Jul 14, 2002
    Blackhawk, CA
    Nonono, do NOT trade Russell! :) He's an amazing player and fast as all hell! Barclay and Ibsen....no preference....I'm all for getting Gray or better yet let's go for Taylor Twellman!

18. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smoking the peyote again LDB? ;)

There isn't any weakness right now that can only be solved by trade. Our problem has just been injuries and Nats call-ups. Not being able to put together a consistent lineup has hurt us in addition to the lack of leadership in the back. It becomes easier to shut down the Mulrooney/Ekelund engine when their surrounding players are inexperienced, coming off injury or constantly being moved around. Continuity has been hurting us.

-Nats Call-ups: Agoos, Donovan
    -Injuries: Dayak, Agoos, Lagos, Bower, Russell, Donovan (fatigue)
    -Inexperienced Players: Roner, Lucci, Barclay
    -Players out of position: Donovan, Barclay, Lucci, Roner, Barrett

There has been an incredible amount of flux within the team. With players coming back from injury and the World Cup and the All-Star break, FY and DK will get the guys back into focus and ready to play. It's obvious the team is on the ropes right now.

I like all four (yes, even Ibsen now) for what their place is on the team. The team has taken so many hits, FY should be applauded for keeping the ship upright as things have been.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good one, Defender. Solid!!!

20. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Win lose or draw, I would still trade each of those players with the exception of DeRo.....and I would only keep him as a 70th minute sub where i feel he excels.

21. USItalianofan

USItalianofan New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Modesto CA
    I don't think any of our players should be traded. I think they all play well for the abilities and experience that they have. We all know that DB is Project 40 and dosen't have the experience of the other players. I also agree that he seems shy on the field. He needs more play time. I have seen him make good runs to score only to choke or give it away. No reason to get ride of him though. Ibsen I think is being used as a fall guy of the team by the fans. Everyone is always talking about how bad he does its because nobody likes to see the good things. Just like the damn media and some fans did with Agoos on the US team they wanted to blame him for the teams mishaps. Yeah Ibby has screwed up some times sure as hell ain't a reason to get ride of him. Okay Russell ain't the best football player in MLS but he has speed and determination to get in the face of the opposing team. I think that is a good quality in a sub so we should keep him. Doooo I even have to say something about DeRo he is one of the better forwards I have seen in MLS he dosen't just sit around waiting for the ball to come to him he trys to get it from the opposing team or disrupts their pace. He is a really good play maker. He has alot of assits and even a few goals what the hell is going on that since he ain't no flashy whole lotta goals kind of forward people want to get ride of him. I don't think anyone should be posting about how to get ride of these players. They should be posting praise for these players and our fine MLS Championship team.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

When Ibby screws up it usually costs us a goal. I can think of at least three of our 20 goals against that he was directly responsible for.

23. USItalianofan

USItalianofan New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Modesto CA
    And?????? Is it really that bad. Are you complaining about this?? Do you not know we have the best record in MLS. Can people not make mistakes. How many have you made today???

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yes......Yes.......Yes.......Yes.......None. :D

25. USItalianofan

USItalianofan New Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Modesto CA
    So If you were just complaining you can't argue your point is that it!!!!