Rush Limbaugh Quits ESPN

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by classicalmusic, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001
  2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    WHO Cares.....ANYWAY NFL sucks !

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
  4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
  5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to being a moron, the guy's a *ussy.

6. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the biggest softy there is, but I don't have one iota of sympathy for this moral leper buffoon.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this (though so far the papers this info has appeared in isn't exactly the most reputable).

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is ironic and a bit funny to see one who has jumped all over so many people fro what they said get jumped all over himself. See how he likes it.

If anyone should know better, it was him.

9. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everything is so PC today especially in regards to race...

10. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Please - he could've said everything about a QB being overrated without going into race. The media build up players all the time - he was free to point that out without turning it into a racial conspiracy.

Notice how repentant he is, too?

Not.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm never one who likes to see PC getting to amok and limiting debate and speech. But, that Limbaugh would be unable to contain his political views and concentrate just on football was inevitable and I don't think anyone is surprised he is leaving the show under these circumstances.

As Femfa pointed out, it would have been very easy to make a case about "Landon" Donovan McNab being overrated and not bring up his race.

And, if McNab had been the first black QB, there "might" have been some relevance to the media pulling for him. But, black QBs ain't exactly newsworthy these days. I mean, the days of Doug Williams are long gone.

There are more black QBs right now than I could name.

It was just a stupid thing for Rush to say and, sadly, this little chapter of NFL broadcasting came to a predictable end.

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    And yet, the furor over his comments puts him in a perfect position to blame the "liberal media" for this.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Well, yeah, because we all know ESPN is dominated and widely watched by Clintonites and America-bashing thugs from the UN.

(I know what you mean, I'm just poking fun at the prospect)

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rush Limbaugh continues to be the best thing that's ever happeened to the Democratic Party. :)

15. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know some minorities that might resent that comment.

16. What about the Rooney Rule?

17. classicalmusic

classicalmusic New Member

Sep 7, 2001

As if the clowns that run the Democratic Party know how to exploit it.

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Re: Re: Rush Limbaugh Quits ESPN

Not like we need to, if they keep imploding upon themselves in this fashion.

19. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  20. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I don't agree with Rush. But isn't this the kind of BS that ESPN hired him for?

21. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know most has been in jest, but let's just please remember that there is a politics forum if that's what you want to talk about.

Thanks

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The strange thing is that RL is usually leading the charge to say that people are unecessarily injecting race into an issue.

In this instance, there is already a healthy debate going on -- particularly in Philly I understand -- related to whether or not McNabb is overated, and not worth the $100 million contract the Eagles gave him.

In hindsight, it was refreshing that the idea of race never even crossed my mind. It was just A) he is a good QB in a bit of a slump; or B) he is overated and played over his head for a short period of time.

Now of all people, Limbaugh has to make it a race issue. Very odd indeed.

I also find it to be a ridiculous assertion. I live in Chicago, and I can tell you that the media is not propping up Kordell Stewart because he is black :)

There were 9 or 10 black starting QBs last week, and Michael Vick is still on the sidelines. I don't think the media is giving anyone a free pass at this point.

23. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    That's a great post, Chris, because it really does speak to why Rush's comments were so specious. He comes across as such a champion of "level-playing field" and "race shouldn't be an issue" and then he goes waaaaay out of his way to drag it into what is an ongoing story.

Ok, all that said, Rush shouldn't have resigned/been forced out. ESPN hired this guy to spout his views -- he's a known commodity and NO ONE should be shocked, dismayed, disappointed, etc. by this... ESPN bought an ultra-conservative and that's what they got. ESPN wanted controversy, that's what they got.

ESPN has no balls. I disagree with Rush, but I respect the man's right to his opinion and his ability to speak his mind. Let's all call him an idiot. Let's all disagree with him. Does that mean he has to be shitcanned? That's the real evil of political correctness -- Let's just shut down the debate/dialogue because we aren't intelligent enough to digest something and move on.

I have little respect for ESPN in this situation.

24. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I think Limbaugh made an extraordinarily stupid comment and deserves to get canned from the show, but there are also certain powers that be in this country that were just waiting for him to screw up.

Notice how the Enquirer drug story conveniently comes out right on the heels of this?

I'm sure ESPN received a ton of pressure, from it's sponsors, the NFL and probably indirectly from some powerful Democrat power brokers to remove Limbaugh as quickly as possible.

When I say indirectly, there are prominent politicians on both sides of the political aisle in Washington who could make life very difficult for the NFL if they axed the league's anti trust exemption.

Seeing a golden opportunity to discredit Limbaugh the Dems jumped on it and flexed a little political muscle.

25. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I think this statement is unfair.

Rush did not say, "Donovan McNabb is not that good because he's black. Black QBs generally aren't that good."

He said that the media has a strong racial bias and that is a reason that McNabb is overrated.

The liberal bias of the media is well documented. McNabb being overrated is pretty well proven by this article.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2089193/

Is there a connection? Maybe. Maybe not. But, Rush was torched by the media because he called them biased. Rush is called a racist by the media only because he called them racist.