Rush Limbaugh is a big fat racist!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by wu-tang beez, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None. I guess it is possible that the NFL just woke up one day and decided to institute the minority interviewing policy all on it's own.

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Exactly, though I imagine it can be a cozy world view where everything that happens in the world can be blamed on the SCLM.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naah, that's not what's going on.

Mediocre black coaches don't get hired in the first place, and they REALLY don't get second chances (Rich Kotite, I'm talking about you!!)

4. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    This letter was then plagarised by Dennis Green and Tony Dungy, and soon Herman Edwards.

5. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'm sorry. I thought I heard my name.

Sincerely,
    Dennis Erickson

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And that Stewart played QB in college.

What position was Stewart moved to when he got to the NFL? And this was in the 90s.

7. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Remember Eric Crouch?

As for Kordell: was he drafted to be a backup QB and general utility offensive player? What did they project when they drafted him? If a team can get a quality backup QB, a third wide receiver, etc. all in one player, they will. He was lining up everywhere on offense, hence, the Slash moniker.

I mean, was he drafted to play QB like Akili Smith or Ray Lucas ?

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Glossing over the fact that he's a big fat whiny quitter, I imagine.

9. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, it's been done with other guys before. Mark Malone and Jeff Hostetler played receiver their first few years out of college and I think Joe Theismann used to be a kick returner. But they (and Kordell) eventually got their shot to be a QB.

10. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Exact text of Rush's statement:

Personally, I like to play in the heat. It's easier for most Latin guys and most minority people because most of us come from the heat. You don't find too many brothers from New Hampshire and Maine and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, right? I mean we were brought over for the heat, right? I mean, ain't that history? Weren't we brought over here because we could take the heat?"

Oops. Sorry. That was Dusty Baker. Carry On.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That would be funny if it wasn't so twisted. Why weren't slaves for northern states imported from Scandinavia? They can handle the cold much better, can't they? Hell, if plantation owners were smarter about slave importation they would've just paid off the Spanish for some heat-resistant Aztecs.

I'd LOVE to hear Dusty's take on the lack of black Olympic ice skaters & downhill skiers.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you're joking, but I just want to take this opportunity to point out that the slaves who were imported were already slaves in Africa. So far as I know, there weren't any slaves in Scandanavia.

13. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you ask Al Campanis and Jimmy the Greek. I'm sure they have some theories.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ummmm.....they've been dead for years.

Dusty's comments just prove that racial ignorance isn't limited to any one particular race.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Anybody know the full context of this statement? I'm honestly curious as to what brought this comment on.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The intense Chicago heat brought it on. But he handled it well.

He was asked something about playing so many day games in the heat. He saw the opportunity to enlighten the world with his curious notions on "who can handle the heat better." If you turned Dusty's wacky argument on its head and said that "blacks can't skate or adapt to cold climates" there would be quite an uproar.

He also defended his silly statement by saying that his mom taught African-American history so "of course" he knew this to be true.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/cubs/2003-07-07-baker_x.htm

17. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    the conservative viewpoint

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/jg20031003.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20031003.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/brentbozell/bb20031003.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/richlowry/rl20031002.shtml

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/Armstrongwilliams/aw20031002.shtml

I believe that Jason Sehorn is overrated because he's a white cornerback in New York. He stands out in a position where "whites" don't normally suceed. The "media" gives him more (great white) hype than a normal black cornerback.

One of the columnists pointed out Tiger Woods and Serena and Venus Williams. Why are they so popular? Did golf and tennis get much play before they came along? Media does hype certain people because of their ability & their color. Michael Irvin agreed when he stated "Rush has a point." Why is this concept hard to believe?

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope I don't get kicked out of the Librul Society for this, but....

Actually, blacks DON'T adapt to cold climates very well. The reason their faces look different is that that structure dissipates heat better. Also, there's a vitamin from the sun that their dark skin doesn't absorb well. I remember reading about this a while back, that black kids need for their parents to make an effort to get them outside in order to be healthy. (As the parent of bi-racial children I pay attention to such thing.s)

Also, is it true that blacks have less subcutaneous fat? I don't know if that's true or one of those junk science factoids. Anyway, that would reduce their insulation.

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Jason Sehorn is overrated, but his color has nothing to do with it - apparently playing in New York bestows a certain extra level of greatness without necessarily meriting it. See as reference: Derek Jeter (ducks). That and Sehorn is more fragile and my girlfriend's good china.

Also, Sehorn no longer plays in New York

They are the best at what they do. And perhaps in part because they are blacks in sports that have not historically been welcoming to blacks (other than Althea Gibson, who you only know because she died this week, name another prominent black women's tennis player)

Ask Jack Nicklaus and John McEnroe

Donovan McNabb ain't one of them.

So Michael Irvin is now the only voice we're supposed to listen to? We're supposed to ignore every other black (and white) athlete, coach and administrator in the NFL that found this offensive?

Also, Tom Jackson threatened to resign
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/6919423.htm

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There may be some truth to Dusty's rant. But why is it relevant to baseball? Anthropologists discussing racial characteristics are one thing. But IMO there's quite enough racial baggage with sports today. No need to stir up the pot for the sake of creating controversy. Especially for a respected former player & coach like Dusty. I think he knew damn well the road he was going down with those comments.

30 yrs. ago there might've been 1 or 2 black NHLers - ever. There are many more today. Jarome Iginla led the league in scoring 2 yrs. ago. I guess he overcame weak ankles & his "natural" aversion to ice to become a great player. Dusty would certainly be surprised.

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Tom Jackson was getting stick from colleagues cause he didn't challenge Rush on such an "obvious" racist remark. eh? I always thought Tom Jackson was a smart guy. He didn't see anything wrong (as neither did anybody else in the post-show meeting) with what Rush said at the time. Besides being wrong about McNabb not being that good anyways.

Only after the demonstrations started did anybody start to get nervous and twitchy. They ran Limbaugh out of town alright, and it's more cause ESPN hired Rush in the first place than what he actually said on the show. Why else bring up what Rush has or hasn't said in the past? They had their own agenda here and whipped these comments around about the media into such a frenzy, you'd think that he actually said something REALLY bad or untoward, which he didn't.

As I heard one person say, "You don't hire Rush Limbaugh and expect him to not be provocative. That's like hiring Bill Clinton and expecting him to stay away from the cheerleaders."

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Nice selective reading

I'm glad they hired Rush Limbaugh. Now the world knows what his cadre of fans has always known - he's a bigot.

23. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know THAT. I was using a figure of speech. Even if they were living, it's not as if I think you guys attend Klan meetings together. So you wouldn't really be in a position to ask them, now would you?

This makes Rush's comments any less ignorant, how?

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, the idea of a guy from Maryland being a fanatical ManU fan, and being an apologist for the poor, aggrieved, white males, is just too perfect.

25. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Rush Limbaugh Was Right
    Donovan McNabb isn't a great quarterback, and the media do overrate him because he is black.
    By Allen Barra
    Posted Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 3:33 PM PT

In his notorious ESPN comments last Sunday night, Rush Limbaugh said he never thought the Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb was "that good of a quarterback."

If Limbaugh were a more astute analyst, he would have been even harsher and said, "Donovan McNabb is barely a mediocre quarterback." But other than that, Limbaugh pretty much spoke the truth. Limbaugh lost his job for saying in public what many football fans and analysts have been saying privately for the past couple of seasons.

snip

Let's look at a quarterback with similar numbers who also plays for a team with a great defense. I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson one of the best quarterbacks in pro football—which is how McNabb is often referred to. In fact, I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson, on the evidence of his 10-year NFL career, much more than mediocre. Yet, Johnson's NFL career passer rating, as of last Sunday, is 7.3 points higher than McNabb's (84.8 to 77.5), he has completed his passes at a higher rate (61.8 percent to 56.4 percent), and has averaged significantly more yards per pass (6.84 to 5.91). McNabb excels in just one area, running, where he has gained 2,040 yards and scored 14 touchdowns to Johnson's 467 and seven. But McNabb has also been sacked more frequently than Johnson—more than once, on average, per game, which negates much of the rushing advantage.

In other words, in just about every way, Brad Johnson has been a more effective quarterback than McNabb and over a longer period.

And even if you say the stats don't matter and that a quarterback's job is to win games, Johnson comes out ahead. Johnson has something McNabb doesn't, a Super Bowl ring, which he went on to win after his Bucs trounced McNabb's Eagles in last year's NFC championship game by a score of 27-10. The Bucs and Eagles were regarded by everyone as having the two best defenses in the NFL last year. When they played in the championship game, the difference was that the Bucs defense completely bottled up McNabb while the Eagles defense couldn't stop Johnson.

In terms of performance, many NFL quarterbacks should be ranked ahead of McNabb. But McNabb has represented something special to all of us since he started his first game in the NFL, and we all know what that is.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2089193/