Rush Limbaugh is a big fat racist!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by wu-tang beez, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    link
    New ESPN commentator Rush Limbaugh said on the network's pregame show that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback do well.

I suppose the slave master is selectively breeding the next generation of mobile QB’s too, Jimmy the Greek. Ditto this jackass!

2. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Despite my "blind hatred" for Rush. Actually I kind of fell sorry for him. I don't think this is a big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. What if he was talking about Keith Van Horn being an overrated white guy? Would anyone care? NO!

That said, the guy has been the best QB in the NFL for three seasons. That in itself proves he IS NOT overrated.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I dunno. Is this racist? We have been having the same debate here - a yound lad called Micheal Chopra is set to become the first regular Asian Premiership footballer and a goodly number of people who have actually seen him play consider the press he gets to be a bit over the top. As in, he's not that good, he's just got potential, like a lot of our recent crop of young English talent.

Is saying so being racist, or being accurate? I don't know in this specific case because I know nothing about the player or about the media's normal treatment of him.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I think Rush was on the mark about media guys wanting black coaches to succeed, that they root for them. But black quarterbacks are common enough now that he's full of crap. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, but today it's not a big deal. And for him to hold up Donovan Freakin' McNabb as an overrated black quarterback, and not...who? Daunte Culpepper maybe?...well, that's just nuts.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    McNabb has the fourth best TD/Interception (that's the most important QB stat) ratio in history and is also the first quarterback in history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons. He's had two bad games this season.

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Van Horn isn't a good comparison. Remember when Spike Lee called Larry Bird an overrated white guy? That DID cause an uproar.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first prominent black QBs were Joe Gilliam of the Steelers and James Harris of the Rams. They came around in the mid-late 70s. Doug Williams was the first black quarterback to win a Super Bowl, in the late 80s. I think Randall Cunningham won league MVP honors once. There are black starting quarterbacks all over the league. The Chopra analogy won't work. This would be like someone making the case about Emile Heskey being overrated because the media are desperate for a black striker to star for England.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Rush loses his ESPN slot over this -- not because he is calling a black QB overrated, but because he politicized his slot on the show after it was made clear by him and everyone involved with NFL Countdown that his appearances would not involve politics at all.

Saying that McNabb is overrated is debatable, though most serious Eagles fans (myself included) would say that no NFL QB would look like a world-beater if his starting WRs were James Thrash and Tood Pinkston. Saying that McNabb is overrated because the sports media has been infiltrated by leftists is really just stupid.

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Excellent analogy, superdave.

10. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think he was trying to push forward two convenient myths that the right wing are constantly pushing forward. First, that there is a liberal bias in the media. Second, that affirmative action is at work in so many places, even pro sports.

He should be faulted for being a moron. However, he is pulling in the ratings. That is his job, even if he is able to politicize his sports commentaries.

11. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thing: I think most Eagles beat reporters want to see McNabb do well because (a) the reporters want to see the Eagles win and they know that McNabb is the offense's only decent weapon, and (b) by all accounts he is very, very accessible -- always answering questions candidly, sitting down for interviews, available for Philly area charity appearances, etc. Reporters root for guys who make their jobs easier. (Contrast McNabb with Philly's other mega-athlete, Allen Iverson, who gets loads of bad press because he's a jerk to reporters.) But that doesn't make him any different from, say, Brett Favre, who has been perceived for over a decade as one of the league's "good guys".

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    McNabb has proven himself as a fantastic quarterback who's recently had a couple of bad games and is now getting heat for it. This is one of many pitiful examples of Limbaugh's inability to take a person's color out of any of life's equations. The man is a slightly more intelligent Tom Arnold. The network asked for this when they hired him. I feel sorry for noone involved.

13. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    And where did rush say the sports media is overrun with leftists?

the actual quote

<<"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team." >>

One only has to look at the Kordell Stewart debacle to realize how the media has wood for Black QB's.It was the media that kept pushing and pushing for Kordell to move from WR to QB a few years back.Kordell was a phenomanal reciever but in all honesty a mediocre QB, his success at the position is related to his scrambling skills and not his arm or knowledge of the position.The same can be said for the numerous other Black QB's in the league who are in all honesty RB's posing as QB's.They have all been pushed into that position by a "Black QB" hungry media .

Heres the question , name a black QB in the league who is known for his accurate passing and not his scrambling skills.....
    There are quit a few out there in Both College and a one or two in the NFL.They just dont garner the headlines that the Vicks, and Culpeppers get.

I will disagreewith Rush on much of what he said abouty McNabb though.He his without a doubt one of the best QB's in the league, and unlike many of the other Black QB's in the league actually understands how to throw the ball (dont even say Dante does, David Kreig could look like a star with Moss).His passing game and scrambling game are interrelated, he his a great passer because of the threat of him running and he can scramble because he can actually pass on the move.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think we can say that the comment about the quaterback was racist, but it was definitely out of place. And so what if people want a black quarterback? Sports is entertainment. I want to watch Anna Kuornikova play tennis, and some want to watch Beckham play soccer, and some want to watch that guy Mcnabb. It is not always just because they are good, but that is an irrelevant issue. Say that you think Mcnabb, Beckham or Kuornikova are, in your view, overrated and leave it at that.

Anyway, Rush should not be doing sports commentary. He has his niche as a political comentator who is basically an entertainer. His humour and eloquence have been good enough to defuse the fact that on many issues he is too extreme. To me, he is like the Jim Rome or the Howard Stern of politics. You cannot take him seriously but he will make you laugh and occasionally he comes up with a good insight.

BTW: saying he is a big fat racist is more mean spirited than anything he says.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tom Jackson proved Rush was wrong about McNabb being over-rated when he answered Rush's provocative question. This is the classic storm in a tea cup. People have just been waiting to pounce on Rush from the minute he was hired. I think this stint on ESPN will also prove that Rush Limbaugh is one of the greatest orators or our time, but not the greatest football commentator or debator.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Kordell Stewart is a better example. A lot of people wanted him to restore the Steelers dynasty. I'm sorry, but a decent wide receiver impersonating a QB is not going to cut it.

When Doug Williams started & won the Super Bowl for the 'Skins, it was a good story. Like you said, a black QB is nothing shocking today. A black OWNER on the other hand.....

17. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    If nothing else, this just shows that Rush Limbaugh doesn't really know football that well. Donovan McNabb is simply a stud. End of conversation. The really dumb thing is, I don't think he's really that "hyped" in comparison to other quarterbacks. He might be the most recognizable and hyped Eagle, but he's the quarterback -- that's expected. But I don't think he gets substantially more media love than other quarterbacks.

The other thing is that media love and endorsements have as much to do with what kind of person a guy is as his performance on the field. McNabb's got a great smile and face that likes the camera. He's certainly gracious, and seems to be a an all-around good guy. If you have that going for you, you don't need to be the best player on the field to get hype.

Now, if Rush had made a similar comment about Ty Willingham, it might have been more meaningful.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You forgot to add "Stanford offensive genius" to Ty's name. Ty only wishes he could Tie a top 20 team. An option QB in a west coast O is about as useful as a kicker playing defensive end.

19. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Jeez, noone's mentioned Quincy Carter yet, is that how low the Cowboys are right now??

:)

20. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Quincy quarterbacks the #1 offense in the NFL.

21. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Or Rohan Davey.

22. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Of course Rush is racist. He singles out a consensus top 5 NFL quarterback and bashes him because he's black. Some of you people need to get a clue.

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It was definitely a stupid remark & borderline racist. I think McNabb handled it well - he seems to be a class act.

If this proves anything at all it's that political commentators DON'T KNOW JACK ABOUT FOOTBALL! Ask Philly fans who put their team back on top. First it's McNabb, second it's Andy Reid IMO.

What's up for Rush next week? "Ricky Williams is all media hype?" Get back to bashing Clinton, Rush.

24. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    asf strikes again! It's like you intentionally take the "Idiot" stance on every issue.

"This is the same man who once told an African American caller to "take that bone out of your nose and call me back." The same man who once said, "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

Here's a take on this from Jim Sheridan of the Philly Enquirer:
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/6893265.htm

25. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you don't take that quote as another variation on the "liberal media" conspiracy theory?
    I think that you have this completely backward -- what I remember is most reporters wanting him to line up as a wide receiver and give up the QB job. (The reporters were likely right.)
    In his day, Warren Moon. Now, Steve McNair. In the future, Byron Leftwich. Remember, Leftwich is the guy who won a game for Marshall where he couldn't even walk, let alone run. Linemen had to carry him on and off the field.

(By the way, the complete list of NFL starting QBs for 2003: McNair, McNabb, Vick when he comes back, Culpepper, Carter, Aaron Brooks, Jeff Blake, Kordell Stewart, and now Leftwich.)
    That's because Vick, Culpepper, and McNabb have been part of the evolution of the QB position that started with Young and Favre. Having a QB who can run gives offenses more options and makes for more exciting football. Who can complain about that?