Rumors

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bayernrevs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Here's the way I see things: considering that all the Revs have to do is make the playoffs, and that once there, they'll very likely have all their key players back from USMNT duty, why spend the money now to go after players - who at best - may just be role players, rather than saving that money and those roster spots for next season when they might be needed more? I'd much rather have the Revs spend $$$ on securing players like Joseph, Dempsey, etc., rather than tossing out hundreds of thousands of dollars on a player who could turn out to be the second coming of Victor Mella or Damian.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem with that is that the most you might do is secure those guys for maybe one more year. My guess is Dempsey is gone after next year, and Joseph very possibly as well. So you're securing one extra year, not your future.

3. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    good point Magpie, but there's also something to be said for blowing the wad now to get MLS Cup while you've got the guns to do it

4. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is where I'm having some difficulty. Money not spent this season, will not be added to our salary cap for next season. While I agree that the current players should be rewarded and kept, if they are under contract already, can't we bring in an impact player this season, continue to inspire competition, release the players who fall below the line, and sweeten some contracts during the offseason?

I hope (and believe) that we all learned something from last season about injuries. We still need some depth in the back. Heaps isn't really being challenged for his spot. What if Parkhurst gets injured?

I wouldn't want to spend the money just for the sake of spending it, and I wouldn't want to see another Steve Howey riding the pine, but it seems that we have enough money to bring in a quality defender and maybe a left midfielder.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with this totally.

I think we have a shot to win the Cup. If bringing in one or two players that could/will assist in this goal, then we should do it.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also agree completely

I think we are in a great position to:
    ~ flesh out the roster with one or more players that can help in our quest for the Cup this year
    ~have enough Cap space to give deserved increases over the winter
    ~bring in a "major" player --if they choose to do so

7. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You guys are spot-on. We are in a very nice position (or so says I) if we do all (or even two) of the things you list.

8. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    this is beutiful discussion. what about bobby convey. how do you think he would impact this squad?

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think he's good enough to join the Revs?

What position do you think he should be penciled for?

He is a bit of a headcase--he has potential but may not be tough enough to play with the Big Boys. I wonder if a coach like Steve Nicol could help him mature into what people thought he would become but has fallen far short of achieving.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone hearing anything?

I just can't believe that the Revs will leave two roster slots open when they have a pot full of Cap and an Allocation and a real solid shot at the Cup.

After seeing what Dallas did on our wings and how they turned out defense in circles last night I would suspect that SN et al may feel a little bit of urgency to make some additions.

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I would bet that Nicol is taking the same attitude that he always does: that if he sees someone who will be a significant upgrade over what they have, they'll be interested, but they aren't going to sign someone for the sake of signing them. I think he's just going to sit on his *assets* until he has a more pronounced need (i.e., injury) or someone special is found.

In past years, there have almost always been a special player or two come available to MLS in midseason and just as often the Revs haven't been in the bidding because of cap space, roster space or international space. This year they are ready if/when it happens.

Well there's help for that on our current roster with Avery John. He may not be a worldbeater, but he's an upgrade over Franchino. And there's no doubt that our defense was more solid earlier in the season when John was in and Franchino was not.

12. rob1066

rob1066 Member

Nov 12, 2003

Didn't realize there was such a demand for brass these days

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You make a good case for making some use of our roster and cap flexibility, but if recent club history has taught us anything, the term "urgency" seems a poor fit for somelike like Steve Nicol, who if anything, is both patient and deliberate when it comes to player acquisition or otherwise making significant changes.

Also keep in mind that the Revolution do not have the best track record when it comes to mid-season signings: Steve Howey, Dario Fabbro, Jorge Vasquez, Chris Brown... none of these players (save perhaps for Brown) had an immediate, positive impact on the club. Hopefully Gilberto Flores won't go the way of these players, and will turn out to be a worthwhile acquisition, but we'll just have to wait and see.

But to answer your question: I'm not hearing anything.

The Magpie

14. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Agreed.
    But I actually thought Fabbro turned out to be a decent 1/2 season acquisition.

15. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the general point. (Imagine Howie and Stumpie doing wind sprints together. You could time them with a sundial.) But wasn't Pepe a mid-season signing? That's worked out pretty well.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    More than decent, IMO. He, Noonan and Cancela had some magic going while Twellman was out. The Revs lost the league scoring leader and the goals/game never dropped off!

Since Cancela's been here, I think Fabbro was the only one who was really on the same page with him. The Noonan-Fabbro-Cancela thing was a beautiful thing to watch. I was really sorry to see him go.

17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes but will Nicol ever sit down Joey for anybody? I think not. Until Joey is really hurting us, he will continue to play over John. Joey has the "lunchbox player" mentality that Nicol seems to go for.

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please explain

19. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Joey's the only guy who will ever trade his Snickers bar for Nicol's apple.

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would.
    Candy is bad for you (high Glycemic load) and apples are good for you.
    Joey may be smarter than some people think.

HUGE :D

21. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    By "lunchbox mentality I ment that I believe Nicol likes hard nosed, blue collar, muckers more then finesse players. I think it has to be because he probably was one of those types when he played.

Much the same thing as Arena's soft sport for guys like Armas

22. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    I'll throw something out there.

If Columbus continues to struggle, might it be worth checking in to whether or not Chris Henderson might be available? I think he can play on the left side of midfield, he's still got some pace, and I think he's still got some gas left in the tank.

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Can't get something for nothing: who would we give up?

24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Columbus just traded for him, so I can't see them looking to trade him again.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Agreed.

From my perspective, it seems like John is getting a raw deal. Ralston, Twellman, Noonan, Dempsey and Reis go off to the NT and step right back into their starting spots when they return.

AJ goes to his NT and ends up nailed to the bench when he comes back. Maybe there's more going on behind the scenes, but how many impartial observers really think Franchino is better at left back than John?

Making it even stranger is the fact that Nicol and John go back to playing together on the Bulldogs and Nicol reportedly did some arm-twisting to get John to come to the Revs.