Rumor

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Alex Sanz, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    I heard a rumor that Sigi might be Dallas' new coach? Anyone hear that?

2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Confidential had a story about the Monteral coach Lilly being a candidate in LA.

At which point Brad and I talked on the Inside Soccer radio show about how crazy they would be to dump Sigi, and that is they did he would have to be a candidate in Dallas.

Steve Davis in DMN confirmed what we had been talking about for a couple weeks on show, that Bliss, Mo, Clarke, and Schellus were 4 of the 6 candidates. So there were two candidates out there.

Certainly I had posted Sigi on my list of possible coach candidates but I had no confirmation beyond the above.
    I for one would love for Sigi to be in Dallas.

3. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Just to confirm, they are going to name a new coach for the worst team in the league at MLS Cup? That's stupid. I cannot see the Burn getting a dead cat bounce in ticket sales from such an announcement, unless it's Real Madrid's former coach. THAT would be worth and MLS cup announcement (and no he won't be, but it would be newsworthy)

Just name the coach and get it over with. There is work to be done, like cutting 5 players and not renewing toni and picking up Ronnie's option. I had thought the GM said he wanted a new coach named BY MLS Cup, not AT MLS Cup. With expansion due to be announced, why bother with the Burn coach at MLS cup?

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hey hey, not a good idea.

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was what I have been told, but maybe they changed their minds. I think you are right about it being a bad idea.

Frankly I think the new coach will be in place this week and they will just announce it at the cup.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF Sigi becomes available, 2 things become evident to me:

1. LA are morons.
    2. If we don't hire him - we are morons.

7. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

This is off topic, but Northside, you're an Aggie too? I'm still reeling from Saturday.

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some may boast of prowers bold.
    Of the shcool they think so grand.

9. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Fat, Dumb (moron) and Happy.

Please take him!!!!

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a rumor that, since everybody in Columbus hates Greg Andrulis with the heat of a thousand suns, but Massah Lamar likes him and doesn't want to see him unemployed, he's about to announce that Big Greg is moving to Dallas.

Congratulations, guys. You'll love him.

11. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt that anyone would be SUPER excited to see Carlos Quieros back in the MLS.

12. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful.

But luckily after this last Burn season, I had nothing left in my stomach to bring up.

And I swear to God, if they ship Andrulis down here to save a GD nickel, I am going to put my fist through a frigging wall.

I have taken about all I can take.

13. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    A little while ago I heard a rumor that Mike Jefferies was going to Columbus because he was still on the HSG payroll. This is a joke (I certainly hope) but can I assume a full boycott in both markets if HSG just switches coaches in both markets to save money?

14. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    nice wet dream, dork. You get to keep your "crap" coach, and we are going to kick your sorry asses next year.

15. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    another dumb ass. two in one session

16. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I would tolerate with either butt cheek, Sigi or Dir. Dammit I hate the post about Andrulis. It is in extremely bad taste. However, look at the track record since the HSG's became the jockeys. As painful as it is to admit, you can not totally dismiss this rumor. Maybe Andrulis has some experience at leasing apartments, and the HSG's plan to make him coach/leasing agent at their soccertopia they are building in Frisco. Maybe they could also hire some illegal immigrant soccer players to work construction on the project by day and play for the Burn at night. The cost saving possibilities are infinite.

Keep your eye on the timing of the hire. If it coincides with the elimination of KC, NY, or LA then you know who it is. Bad. If it is made in conjuction with a lot of other big MLS news, then it might be horrific. This is what PR types do when they want to bury the bad news.

I say it again, this is a franchise make or break hire. Hell, who knows, maybe the deal is already made and a hidden coach is already making his moves in a dark office somewhere.

I can hear Lamar quietly humming a few bars of the Beatles: "Hey! You've got to hide your love away"

17. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Yes, it is (they're not even rumors, they're a joke). Andrulis's contract is currently expired. There's no more seasons left. HSG doesn't owe him any more money. SO, if they choose to renew the contract, it's going to be because they think he's done an adequate job, and they're going to leave him in Columbus to continue doing that job. There is absolutely no reason that they would move Andrulis to Dallas.

It's also totally possible that the news would be coming out after these teams were eliminated because we're hiring either 1. Brian Bliss of Kansas City or 2. Mo Johnston of New York. It's not much of an issue, though; HSG can't hide who the new head coach is going to be.

18. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    ...as to the Carlos Queiros rumor, I would be thrilled.

19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't.

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked around.

Some sources I trust, none of which are inside the Gals...

say that Sigi is out for sure in LA.

Which in my mind makes him candidate #1 in Dallas.

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    If Sigi gets canned, there is no doubt he would love to take over the Burn. Not only is there some good young talent, but the Metroplex has many fine steakhouses. Just looking at Sigi, you know he never misses a good steak.

22. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two questions about Sigi.

First, while I grant his record of thee MLS Cup finals, one semi finals, one first round playoff exit, this year concerns me. The Gals were a better team this year than last, and never performed well.

Second, El Lay was alwasy gifted with very good players. Even with an owner and a stadium, we have seen that the MLS has not been willing to do this for Dallas. If there were a sudden change of heart by the MLS (and there will not be) would HSG be willing to pay the top players? Will forign players want to play in the worst stadium in the history of the MLS with football lines?

And would a Californian want to live in Texas?

23. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    What immediately comes to mind is that Sigi holds the marketing push of an MLS championship under his belt, and that looks good for promos come Frisco.

Does that mean HSG is willing to reach the masses by using a similiar marketing campaign... Well, it would impress me if Frisco residents saw a promo while they were sitting down to dinner, but that means money - and I'm not overly convinced HSG would make a commitment to an expensive television campaign over the much cheaper radio ads that are common throughout MLS.

I guess they could get a billboard over the tollway with Sigi on it, but that would have to be one-helluva-big billboard :eek:

24. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Wow. Guao. Caray. I am amazed at this. Sure Schmid dogged it all year, but he had the luxury of dogging cause the Burn were the worst. If their own players could stop just 1 of four goals they'd be in the semifinals.

And I have to agree, this does make him the number 1 dude. He's got an MLS Cup, he's acomplished and knows the young American player.

Now my question, does AEG screw the Burn by not firing him until Burn hire someone? It's conceivable to me that in a ten team league they prefer to not give their Division competitor any help.

25. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Get ready to maybe get some "silveware" by playing some of the most boring, uninspired soccer on the face of the planet.

The way you guys talk, you'd think his arrival would be the second coming of Christ.

Please take him ASAP. Maybe he'll bring Elliott and Chris Albright with him.