Rumor: The return of Eddie Lewis

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by We Were Cut, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply put, Eddie would represent a nice upgrade. However, he doesn't address the team's most pressing needs.

Bottom line: Get him. Getting Eddie isn't precluding the club from getting other players. The team must be about a million bucks below the cap now anyway.

2. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Holy shit. I'm beginning to think that our fans our retarded. Eddie Lewis may have been better than Guerrero and O'Brien in his prime, but he's not anymore. I watched him, you people obviously didn't. Gives the ball away constantly nowadays and looks surprised when a cross or free kick is on target. It happens about once a game.

Connection to the past??? WTF? Why would we need that? We already have Cannon, Yallop, half the ex-Quakes on our staff, Corrales, and our former youngster Cochrane? Isn't that enough? I don't want shit old Quakes that should be retired.

But I have to concede, like John said, Eddie Lewis isn't that bad, he could still do well in MLS. But no better than O'Brien or Guerrero. We need to be using our resources for somebody who would improve the team. I know we have a lot of resources, but that's no reason to waste some.

I think I recall O'Brien having one bad game this season. I think it was RBNY, on gross turf. He's been excellent, for me. Pretty good crosses, can beat defenders and make them look silly very easily, gets a good amount of shots off for a winger, and they're mostly on target. Cheeky player, fun to watch. Here's the thing about O'Brien, Guerrero, Riley that I love though: Unlike every other MLS winger in history, all three get their cross past the first defender almost every time.

3. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    just cause someone can't hang in the best league in the world doesn't mean they wouldn't do just fine in the MLS.

4. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wouldn't we have to trade for Eddie's rights? As a USMNT player I believe he would have to go through the allocation process, and we are last on the list since we just used our pick on Peguero. Getting another team to trade thier allocation spot could get very expensive. This move seems pretty unlikely at this point.

5. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great to see Eddie Lewis back here (heart talking). But, our team needs are at forward and attacking-mid, not a left sided mid-fielder (head talking). In fact, the left side is where we have the most depth.

So, let's wish the best for Eddie, but keep looking for the a-mids and forwards that the Quakes need.

6. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

7. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Lewis can drive the golf cart with the training equipment, thank you very much. Not worth the money he'd be asking.

Loved that cross in 2002 to cocksnacker Donovan against Mexico, btw.

8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Just to clarify: at that time Donovan was a Quake.

At the 2006 World Cup, he was an LA Cocksnacker, with predictable karmic fallout.

9. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    If we did sign Eddie it wouldn't necessarily be as a Guerrero replacement. both those guys have played left back and left mid. It would open up the possibility of a lot of switching/overlapping on the left side.

I agree with other though - I wouldn't want to sign Eddie to a MAX or a DP contract. Something like Corrales' contract? Sure, but more than that... no. And I think Eddie can still get paid pretty well if he stays in the UK - Colaship or otherwise. So, I don't see this happening.