Rumor: The return of Eddie Lewis

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by We Were Cut, Jan 26, 2008.

1. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    More weirdness-What injury?

http://mnt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html#874265222649597663

'MNT Blogger: Eddie, can you describe how you injured the cartilage in your knee?

Eddie Lewis: "I didn't. You're the 100th person who asked that question."

MNT Blogger: The reports from Derby indicate the surgery went well. What is the prognosis for the duration of your recovery?

Eddie Lewis: "What recovery?

MNT Blogger: Is it disappointing to travel all this way and have to sit out training and watch the team get ready for the big match against Mexico?

Eddie Lewis: "Yeah, I didn't sit out. The team had a great session today and we're looking forward to Wednesday.'

One of the two stories is wrong, so I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet...

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    ...lllllluaPdeirubI

3. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Must be really bad for him to be in denial like that.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

"There is no surgery and no recovery. I will feast on the roasted intestines of the Mexican National team."

5. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I was watching some Romney political spin doctor last night and thought of Baghdad Bob.....then today, he shows up at BS.

6. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda miss that guy. I remember when the poor guy tried to turn himself into US troops and they refused to take him.

I thought for sure we'd see him on Letterman one day.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrXhxmQJSS0

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm awarding that one the LOTD, Laugh Of The Day. :)

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what happened to that guy? Was he hanged or beheaded? They should have kept him around for laughs.

Oh, I see. Killed by a falling statue.

9. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an AP report on Jan. 18, 2008

A: Saddam Hussein's information minister, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf — who earned the moniker "Baghdad Bob" during his break-from-reality news briefings — left Iraq in the chaotic months after Saddam's fall in 2003 and surfaced in the United Arab Emirates.

It was never clear, however, whether he was questioned and released by coalition forces or if he departed without much notice from troops — but with a worldwide following for his surreal spin doctoring that included the pronouncement that Baghdad was secure even as U.S. missiles landed nearby.

Al-Sahaf appeared occasionally on Abu Dhabi TV and inspired an Internet cottage industry of T-shirts and other Baghdad Bob memorabilia. His current whereabouts are uncertain, but some reports have placed him in Qatar.

Brian Murphy
    Iraq Editor, AP International Desk

10. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Baghdad Bob should totally be our color commentator. Quakes are losing 3 or 4-0 to Galaxy: "The Earthquakes are not by any means defeated. They are just waiting to strike down the infidels when they are most secure."

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. (Not the score, however.)

12. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would golden! Imagine the media attention we would get.

13. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I love that scoreline. Gives us a chance to embarass them again.

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Derby's done. Sounds like Lewis could be available - though he's too old to break the bank on, he could really help us for a couple seasons. And I'd rather give our money to Eddie than Darren Huckerby.

By the way, how is this cynical pre-season prediction panning out? I thought Ronnie O'Brien fit the bill of "a veteran marquee player who impressed some British people at some point five years ago" quite nicely,but now we're reportedly looking at Huckerby too...

And how did we handle that US Open Cup?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThreeApples [​IMG]
    Do you really think they're not trying to get good players and build a winning team? Seriously?

15. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    No Lewis. Please. What's wrong with O'Brien, Guerrero, Salinas, and Johnson. They're ********ing awesome! We need a little help up top. And a strong central defender on loan to partner Garcia would help too.

16. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Salinas? Johnson? MLS Quality starting midfielders?

Dream on.

Eddie Lewis would be the ultimate signing. Anybody that has been here from the beginning would agree with this.

17. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Not even gonna go there, other than i still have nightmares of Brian Quinn shouting Eddaaaayyy.

18. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Salinas and Johnson are super subs. I'm pretty sure either could start though. As for Guerrero and O'Brien, they're both doing excellent for us out wide. Riley is decent helping out on the attack as well, though his defensive positioning needs work.

Eddie Lewis would be a shit signing. Anybody who has actually seen him play recently would know that. He is no better than ROB or Guerrero at the moment and only provides good set pieces, and even then it's only once in a while. ROB is also a good consistent set piece taker. We need to spend our money where we have holes, that being in the middle of the park. I hate to bench Corrales, especially after we brought him all the way from Norway or whereever, but he's not been so good besides that brave goal. I can clearly remember at least 3 shots of his on Saturday going at least 3 or 4 goal heights over the goal. That's inexcusable. Sorry, getting off topic.

No, Eddie Lewis would be a waste, probably would not help us out much in any discernible way, and is a high injury risk. If he signs, I have no faith in our leaders' decision-making abilities.

19. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Agreed. The outside midfield is not our priority at the moment. The guys we have are fine. We need (flogging the dead horse now) a proven goal scorer up top which Huckerby is, and an attacking midfielder in the middle -- Grabavoy's has shown a few flashes, but has disappeared too much. I'd rather see us spend bucks there than on Lewis.

Again, mostly agree, especially with the part about us having to spend our money in the middle of the field, but I would add . . . A) I don't think Lewis would be the worst signing in the world, I just don't think he's any better than what we have right now. B) We knew about Ramiro's field goal kicking tendencies going in, I think he does enough other things to put up with one or two of those a game, besides, over the course of the season one or two of those will actually go in and be goal of the week candidates. I'm more worried about Grabavoy.

20. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How the hell can you be a ClashQuakes fan and not support bringing Eddie Lewis back...

Hell, I think Lewis and Baicher up top would be more lethal than the jokers we have.

Ivan Guerrero, Shea Salinas, and whoever Johnson all together haven't accomplished in their whole careers what one Eddie Lewis has.

21. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I don't normally agree with IBleedTeal, but in this case I do. Eddie is a step up, and a great connection to the past. Sign him for a year or two, not on a max deal, and I'd be happy.

But I also agree-we need another forward and possibly an attacking midfielder.

Has anyone seen Huckerby play this season?

22. pguerra

pguerra New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    I like Eddie's style, but it may a case again where we settle for a European past his prime. He player one game in 01 and 02 seasons at Fulham - a meaningless season finale. He was a consistent starter at Preston N.E for 3 years. He set a reputation at Leeds United as a set piece expert scoring on some great free kicks. He was a regular at Fulham in 06-07. He is not a forward but a left midfielder. (source: Wikepedia) He would be expensive which raises the question - should we use that money for a quality younger South American??

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Eddie's a nice link to the old Clash, but we already have that in Ramiro. Therefore, Eddie Lewis =
    [​IMG]

24. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Corrales is not here for offense.

25. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    This is going to be one on which we'll have to savagely disagree, sko. Knife fight, or intense dance off?

I seriously think Ramiro has been our best player so far, challenged only by Garcia and Cannon. (And I think O'Brien has been true to form: ********ing garbage.)

We all used to joke about Ramiro firing high back in the day, but he looked far too gun shy for the first five games of this season. We need whoever is in that position to be unafraid to take a pop from outside. It keeps the other team's defense honest and opens up space for forwards and attacking runs/combinations.

I guess now that we're doing the right thing (taking a few shots from deep every game) we can move on to complaining about execution (putting the ball into air traffic control.)