Rumor of USA vs England, somewhere on the east coast

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by jusjctin, Feb 8, 2005.

1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Our history books do include events prior to dec 7, 1941.

They always devote at least a paragraph to period in your naval history when the most important man in the boat was the coxswain. :D

[​IMG]

Good to see all of that experience crewing on the Thames didn't go to waste.

Moving on, this friendly would be fun, but it wouldn't mean anything. I'd much prefer the US hosting WC2014 and playing England in the group stage, at Foxboro. Heck, play the game on Bunker Hill.

2. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camden?

New Orleans?

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Ben Affleck recieved a Purple Heart for his effort fighting the Luftwafa. I saw it on a WW II documentry on the History Channel.

Or was it a bad movie on Showtime. I can't remember now.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    It was a documentary; and an accurate one, historically.

In the documentary, it came right after he left his hot girlfriend behind in NY and took the train to England to fight the Krauts.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Ten years ago the US was a non-entity. Additionally, the major reason for the press reaction was that it was essentially the final nail in Graham Taylor's coffin, coming immediately after disasterous WC qualification games in Norway and Poland that pretty much knocked England out of the race for WC '94. Today, I can't see England being bothered, quite frankly, especially if the game was after the end of the English season. SGE has essentially turned England friendlies into a charade, with able help from the top club managers. Aside from Scotland, Germany and maybe Argentina, I don't think you'll see a England team that's bothered in a friendly, at least not whilst SGE is in charge. The nearest equivalent past friendly game would be the one against Australia, which was the game that convinced FIFA to change the laws to stop England from fielding an entire team of substitutes.

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, whenever the USA schedules friendlies, most of the time, the team that's on the field is waaaay below what we'd consider the A-side. But for me, I like watching these friendlies just to see who is closer to cracking the 18 player roster for qualifying or what have you.

Arena may put in a couple of experienced players from MLS or some Euro-based players who need some PT, but more often than not, during the MLS off-season, Arena puts MLS guys out there, which is good.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So what exactly do you you history books say about the battle of britain, the key battle in "saving britain's ass"? Not a lot it seems.

oh no! could you only be playing at pretending to be a dumb ignorant moron? Well, you've got me convinced. What an achievement. I'm sure your parents most be so proud as they sit there trying to get all those diagonal lines on your family tree,
    "shoot ma! Our little Jnr's made people think he's a proper moron like the rest of the family".
    "Now don't be using words like moron in this house Pa. Remember what we's be learning from them teaching folk. Jnr's not a moron, he's an igmoranus".
    "You sure that's how igmoranus is said, Ma?"
    "I sure am. The teaching folk said it's a bit like a butt-hole."
    "And to think there were those who said they couldn't imagine him being dumb, Ma".
    "The said that?"
    "Sure did, Ma. They said he was unimaginably stupid. Makes ya proud, don't it?"

Overall though, a friendly against the US would be and more or less appealing than a friendly v Switzerland or similar. If it does happen I'd like the squad to comprised only of players who want to be there - the only down side of that is that we'd be plucking players from Aldershot and Northwich to find any.

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the history books have a lot to say about LEND-LEASE....

you have to recollect, there was a huge contingent in the states who said let europe settle it's own disputes...

as to where to host the next usa-england match...

well yorktown is fairly close to rfk...

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weak, just like Southgate's penalty attempt in 96.

Next.

10. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    SGEs attitude to friendlies generally doesn't extend to squad selection - he'll put out a full team (that is one which hasn't already been depleted by "short-term" injuries mandated by their club managers) but, based on previous friendly performances, they'll play without a competitive edge and will not be bothered by the result. That's why you'll see England fans saying the result is meaningless (even if it does lead to a resounding thumping of the US side).

If you want a true benchmark of how the US rates against the England you'll have to wait until there's a competitive tournament match-up.....

11. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    \
    Yeah Matthew Mcounahey (or how ever its spelled) recovered the Enigma machine and I'm pretty sure he was born in the good old USA. Movies never lie!! ;)

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand fully Re: SGE. Figured as much. From a Yank POV, the USA plays in a similar fashion in friendlies running at about 60-75% full throttle, with mostly an MLS lineup.

???
    I attended the match in Ulsan where the USA played against the Germans, so to be truthful, I haven't forgotten. (I accidentally left out the word "win" in a previous post, maybe that's the part of you were referring to? Not sure). As I said, in comparison to the USA/Germany game in 98, we've improved our all around play, as seen in Ulsan, but we have yet to beat the Germans in a WC game.

The United States has beaten England in a head-to-head game in the World Cup. Other than that, not many games have been played between the USA and England, maybe less than half a dozen since 1950? So we'll just have to wait for now.

13. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Yup - IMO past results are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to comparing the two sides seeing as its been so long since they played a meaningful game.

No argument from me on how you guys have improved (although it was a tad strange seeing you beat Portugal, matching Germany and then getting your arses handed to you on a plate by Poland). I'd stick you just the one rung down from the "top" teams right now - although that last rung is gonna be the hardest to climb.....

Now - having agreed with you I shall have to go and run a bath as I feel dirty ;)

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well it's hard to match the award-winning hilarity of the "England's here!" song.

You put the words to that yourself didn't you? It shows.

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I have no explanation for the Poland game. I, as well as the entire US fan section were utterly dumbfounded in that this team sacked up majorly against the Portugese [FIGO! VIADU!], tied the host nation in their biggest stadium, but showed absolutely NOTHING against the Poles. It could be that our players just assumed Poland would just plain roll over for us since they were already eliminated. The result showed otherwise, boy did it ever.

Don't forget to use soap behind your ears! ;)
    Nyuk.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon now, every American knows WWII started several years before the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget it, he's rolling.

18. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    You can't be serious. Ten years ago, the U.S. was coming off a World Cup where they advanced to the second round. To be sure, that didn't make them a world power, or an elite team, but they certainly weren't a non-entity. A non-entity would be a team that didn't even qualify for the World Cup ( ;) ) or a team that went three and out.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the game sites were the other way around.

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the FA website, Sven-Goran Eriksson was quoted as saying:

Well, that's nice and all, but I mean, I hope this trip increases interest in AMERICAN SOCCER among the American public!

22. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Okkkkay. So, looks like I'm going to Chicago.

Only 77 days left to paint my USS Great Britain sign, commemerating the largest aircraft carrier America ever built.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see this being a lose/lose situation for England. Man, am I not looking forward to this one... particularly with SGE in charge.