Rumor of Stadium and Adu News Monday (Bergin)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by American40, Oct 17, 2003.

1. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachin...quite clever.

Well done.

2. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please, take your boring rehashed comments elsewhere.

i don't care what you think about bergin. all i know is that this thread contains IMPORTANT info regarding dcu.

3. Yeah been talking about that, trying to figure out when he teaches it though. Not quite to that stage yet though, probably not til next year.

I've actually met Goff once, at the AU-DCU scrimmage last spring...yeah that was a fun one. Seemed like a nice guy.

If anyone wants to keep up with AU soccer and see some REAL QUALITY SOCCER JOURNALSIM see link below.

http://www.theeagleonline.com/news/529723.html

4. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    there was some mention of a stadium plan at the end of Steven Goff's DCU/Crew post-match article in the Post. I wonder if this is the stadium news/rumor Chris Bergin was talking about...

United Notes: Officials from the club's operating company, Anschutz Entertainment Group, and the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission held a briefing this past week concerning a proposed soccer stadium next to RFK.

"There's some momentum" toward a business plan, outgoing commission president Bobby Goldwater said. The sides plan to meet again in the next few weeks, he added.

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Does anyone else think it's not a coicidence that news on the stadium and Freddy Adu are coming at the same time? If you think about it, we could get Freddy and then have a stadium built by the time he leaves for Europe therefore the stadium would capitalize on the Freddy momentum. Am I just being paranoid or does anyone else think this is more than a coicidence? I've been keeping up with the thread on ussocceruk.com and it sounds like we have very good news on the way.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda with you on this one. it seems that there is something fishy going on here, but we'll see. this could be some of the best news we get, or total heartbreak. it would be lovely for DC to have their own digs. let's all hold our breath on this one ......

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Yeah, especially considering all the extra money we'll be making while selling out RFK every game Freddy has a United kit on.

;)

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what i am most excited about. seeing 25 or 30 grand inside RFK stadium. can you imagine the ruckus when he has his game(s) off?

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 5K-7K bump in attendence would be fantastic for a start but selling out RFK is too much to even dream of. By the time he becomes a worldwide star (hopefully) he likely will not be playing here still.
    I see DC's road attendence bumping too but the Freddy effect is really hard to judge now.

10. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm just creaming my jeans that we have both an "Adu is comign to United" rumor and a "Possible SSS for United" rumor that both appear to have some level of validity to them. United Park would be awesome. Freddy living up to his potential in the black-and-red would be awesome.

Can you believe that we are actually close to a point where we could have three new stadiums built in Chicago, Harrison, and DC? I know not to count the chickens until they are hatched, but all three fronts sound like possible good news could happen soon.

Of course, Wilt could be swayed by the nice SF crowds, those oft-mocked "60 to 90" days could span on forever, and Bergin's news could turn out to be nothing but rumor.

But I like to be positive in this year of so many positives for our league.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you on this one. it's a little too much to ask to get 56,000 in a stadium that is only drawing 15 now. i can see 25,000 coming though ..... i really can.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, please don't jinx us. another thread is talking about the news that DC will get is NOT about a new stadium. whatever the case may be on that, i would be happy with just Freddy Adu for the moment. I don't wanna get too greedy here, because i think some big crowds WITH Freddy Adu could be the impetus for DC getting a stadium in the future anyway. Think about it ......... THE HOUSE THAT FREDDY BUILT" ......... HAHAHAHAHAHA

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If we had a SSS with a 25-30 capacity built by 2006 we could sell out every game if Freddy does what he is suppose to do. We could have a full season of Freddy in a SSS before he makes his millions in Europe. He turns 18 in May of 2007.

14. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then after you sell him to some big Euro club you will suffer "The Curse of the Fredinho" for all time to come! :)

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, there is no doubt about that. I think a 30,000 seat stadium would certainly do the trick (allowing for an expansion of 7 or 8 thousand more of course). he would certainly have the place sold out by that time if he continues to progress. I'm just a little scared for all the pressure this kid will have to perform. I hope he holds up well. It's tough to play in front of your family and friends, especially when you're being looked at as some sort of a savior.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to give you some love for that one! pretty nifty indeed. :)

17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Slightly OT:

Chris just mentioned a waiver list for DC. Seems Chivas entering in '04 is becoming a reality.

And I don't see the connection with Adu and the stadium. DC has been trying for quite a while to get its own stadium, but other things (baseball in DC) have come up, putting soccer on the backburner. I see this as the DC area trying to latch onto a least one sports franchise.

And I've been hyping the Adu thing for a while. It was only a matter of time before he signs with the league and the only team he's interested in is DC. It makes sense that we would find a way to sign him and for the League to find a way for us to sign him. Expect a lot of sour grapes from Dallas (especially if we make the playoffs).

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Oh c'mon, of course I was exagerrating about selling out RFK. Although I think the attendence spike would be significantly greater than 7k. Weren't the U-17s drawing some games at 10,000-12,000 earlier this year? What would they have gotten for those exhibitions without Freddy?

19. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Dallas will get its pound of flesh. After all, Luisa prompted a "dispersal draft," and he was a bitch.

I can see it now: Quaranta to Dallas, Prideaux to Crew (please note: both names were pulled directly from my nether regions).

RS

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    hell, even a 5k bump at home and on the road (and I figure the road bump will be bigger, given that they won't have as many chances to see him) at an average os $20/ticket is $3 million over a 30 game schedule. and that doesn't take into account parking, concessions, selling Freddy jerseys, etc. This kid could be a HUGE financial windfall for the league if he pans out, and might even generate enough revenue for them to keep him around til he's 20 or so if he has any interest in sticking around.

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    If Mia Hamm could'nt draw more than 9K her final year with the Freedom, I can't see a boost to more than 23K with Adu.

Time will tell.

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I don't think that Dallas fans are gonna make a lot of noise. The Dallas fans on BS have been very amenable to Freddy going to DC as long as they get compensation for it. Most of them seem to realize that the best interests of the league need to be served at this very critical time in its development. I have found a lot more opposition from the fans of other teams (who wouldn't even have a shot of getting him anyway), which surprises me. For example, on another thread, there was a contingent of KC and SJ fans who were crying and moaning about it. Very curious indeed.

23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is no comparing mens sports to womens sports. that's just the reality of it. and mia hamm is no freddy adu .........

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    true, and the Freedom were, by a pretty wide margin if I'm not mistaken, the biggest draw in the league.

25. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Maybe you've been having too much mead, Andy. ;)

The comment by Garber came *after* the announcement of Colorado's sale. At least according to Garby, *another* deal is in the works for a new player to take over a current team.