Rumor Mill - USMNT - Mexico @ HDC???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ZiggyGalaxy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    but we aren't gonna play in Alaska. It's a moot point.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I wasn't being serious

3. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT v Mexico at the HDC?????? Are your FVCKIN' kidding me??

The "idiots" running US soccer have really done it now. IF this does happen, it only REINFORCES the "belief" that US soccer cares MORE about $$$ than about giving our national team the "best home-field advantage" possible!!!

It might be "great" in terms of travel for me, since I live in L.A. but I would rather travel to Alaska to see our boys play el tri & have a TRUE home crowd than have to watch our national team deal with 20-25K a$$holes!!

I really am not sure if I'll go to this match (should it become reality). TOO much potential for "serious fighting." I just hope Bruce nixes this in the butt ASAP. There's NO way that Bruce is "in" on this "joke of an idea" & I hope that his influence in US soccer overrides the "idiots" at US soccer.

Sorry about the ranting & raving, but I had to say MY piece!!

4. DEAC

DEAC New Member

May 25, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Even if U.S. Soccer only cared about money, its people can add well enough to know that a WCup appearance will pay a dollar or two more than one home gate at a stadium that holds less than 30,000. So relax. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen. I have no idea. But I know that if it does happen, it won't be because the gate is worth the sacrifice.

5. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok, this sounds really bogus because there's absolutely no source for this, but I've long advocated the U.S. NATs playing at the HDC. It's a great venue, and bottom line, I don't think our boys should be afraid of playing ANYWHERE. We broke the Europe jinx this year, we're shooting to win in Azteca this year, we SHOULD be able to play and win anywhere in our home country.

How are we expecting to do well in Germany, etc, if we resort to Freezeorama tactics every time we need to play an important game?

We've beaten Mexico in Los Angeles - Donovan's first game. We impressed their fans that day and converted some U.S. Mexicans to being USMNT fans.

Most of all - I think that where the USMNT plays should be a challenge to every fan they have to go out and represent. It's pitiful to get outnumbered by another country's fans in the U.S. But it's our fault. I'm not going to get weenie and blame the Fed. Los Angeles is part of the U.S. and Southern California has millions of soccer fans. We deserve to see a quality match - and if the Mexican fans out-pull us, it's up to the NATs fans to make sure we show up with passion and energy.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    USA-MEX at HDC is confirmed...

BUT it's the WOMEN!!!

assuming the hex is mexico, guatemala, usa, (honduras or costa rica absically the same) , t&t and jamaica (panama really is different from the boyz support wise)....

anything on the east coast will draw RIVAL fans, no matter what you do to allocate the tickets....so you can go to middle america and the great northwest to minimize RIVAL fans, but you won't have 100% pro-usa...

arena likes the east coast to minimize time change for the euro boys, so I think two matches will be in the east....t&t for one...and put mexico in boston like 1997....large crowd and NOT too many mexicans...

then that leaves columbus...kansas city and seattle....

that's about the best we could realistically expect...

beat jamaica and we get panama in the hex, another foe with a relatively small travelling contingent

7. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    This supposed rumor is lame.

First, why would US Soccer EVER schedule a meaningful game against Mexico in Los Angeles?

Second, if, and this would never happen, but if the US ever played Mexico in a WCQ in SoCal, they would play at the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl. Then, you would fill up the stadium and charge an average of $25-30 per ticket and, at 90,000 seats, you'd make some pretty good money. You'd have to charge $100 per ticket at HDC to make what you could make at the Rose Bowl or Coliseum.

But none of it matters because it'll never happen.

8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with USA-Mexico at The Toolbox...as long as it's a friendly. Don't mess with qualifying. Ever.

How do we expect to do well in Germany if we don't get there because we frittered away our home-field advantage...we'll have 5 games in the hex at a hostile environment. No need to make it six.

I take it then that we can expect to see you in Cbus next Wednesday? BTW, if the Fed puts a hex home game at HDC, I'm there...and I'm bringing my 81-year old father with me to get his first cap. Just don't expect him to stand for the full 90.

Agreed. Didn't happen in Columbus. Or Kansas City. Or DC vs. Panama, for that matter.

That's okay. I will.

Minneapolis-St. Paul is also part of the U.S. and has a whole bunch of soccer fans (hey, our NASL team outdrew your NASL team, so it must be so! :) ). We deserve a quality game, too. So do a lot of other places.

So does LA - just not against Mexico. How about T&T?

9. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100% with your comments, Bluecat82.

We have ENOUGH hostile environments in CONCACAF that can prepare us for the World Cup. Why add to it, especially in OUR own country.

I would LOVE to see a US WCQ at the HDC, believe me!! Just NOT v Mexico!!

There's T&T or Panama/Jamaica and either one is fine with me & should give the USMNT a "decided" home-field advantage!!

I WILL be at Columbus next week & HOPE to be there again in 2005, for the "Guerra Fria, Part 2"!!!

10. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    OK, so maybe you should build a stadium then, because I don't think any Hex games will be getting played at the NSC or Central High School this lifetime. And I doubt US Soccer wants to foot the bill to install a temporary grass pitch in the Metrodome for one game when there are plenty of actual good soccer venues in the country.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I've heard the reason the last Mexico game was played in Columbus was because of the large, % wise, season ticket base. It is not discrimitory to offer tickets first to season ticket holders. Mexicans can buy season tickets too. I think they should offer tickets first to season ticket holders in Colombus and then other MLS teams, it's basicaly marketing to your core audience.

12. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I agree with what everyone has said. I noted that this was a TERRIBLE idea. I just heard about it on the OB boards and had heard some word that they just might be this stupid from some people around the HDC as well. JUST A RUMOR, folks...I never said it was true. I am relying on a soul who says its from a reliable source...just work with me here. As for Seattle, I see that as the place to play. Looked like a good venue for the ChampsWorld Series game at least...Chelsea vs. Celtic...oh yeah!

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, if I could, I would...

'Cause then we'd be talking about who Real St. Paul would be taking in the expansion draft right now...

Or more likely Minneapolis Rosenborg.

14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a entry on the espn website for a US Men Soccer 30 Jan 5-7pm. This could be the Mexican friendly.

15. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I highly doubt we would be playing a friendly against a fellow Hex team possibly a month before an actual WCQ match.

16. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not?

Regarding USA-Mex ever playing in So Cal, as long as it's a match that means nothing, no problem. It's a big payday for the Fed, and our boys get to experience a hostile "away" match in a more secure environment -- with less travel and expense, too. :)