Rumor mill - grind away

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The next to go?

http://www.aafk.no/

Translation

12/14: American keeper on visit
    The American Adin Brown is in these days on a visitt Ålesund for to see on condition in and around the club. Adin is 26 years and have spilt the three last sesongene in Major Soccer League in USA. He has also spilt for Tampa Bay Mutiny and Colorado Rapids. In perioden 1998 to 2000 was he with on U23-the team for USA. More informasjon about spilleren finds you here.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Re: The next to go?

FYI, Adin is checking out a club in Aalesunds FK that will be playing in the Norwegian Premier League, The Tippeliga in 2005. The club will also be playing in a new stadium as well. Aalesunds won promotion from the Norwegian Division 1. in 2004... and guess who's on their current roster:

[​IMG]

Ex-Rev Paulo Dos Santos
    :)

[​IMG]

What is it with Revolution players and proximity to the Arctic Circle?

The Magpie

3. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    With Twellman's quote from the USSoccerPlayers article:
    "I hope to see [Donovan] soon over [in Germany]. I am committed to NE for this year coming up, and then we will go from there."

The Revs may feel some pressure to deal TT this year and try to get something of value for him.

I have the same reservations you express about Pope however. I think it's the heavy international duty that most bothers me. The Revs have struggled for consistency all over the field but esspecially in the back. Even if healthy, Pope would still be in and out of the team.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Adin signs this may be a good thing. Wasn't he making around 125k? Just more money to upgrade the team in other spots like Defense for starters

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    According to Soccer America (as reported on January 6, 2004), he was supposed to have made $146,000 in 2004.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya i found that out, went to edit and missed the time cut off by 1 minute!!

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dallas is shopping Jolley.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him,,,,,better than any defender we currently have

10. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now who would you give Dallas in return...that they would want?

11. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creative, attacking midfield help and/or draft picks, please.

Cancela for Jolley and Gbandi.

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would do that....Cancela is a good player but I think the Revs can win without him....

13. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

cough, cough.... three-way with San Jose....cough cough

(and I don't mean a date with twins)

This is sheer speculation on my part - no inside info.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franchino ;)

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think Cancela would do well in Dallas. If I were Dallas, I would grab him.

As for whom to ask for, Jolley and Gbandi are both interesting, but I'm not so sure either one represents an upgrade.

Jolley strikes me as a positive presence in the locker room, and a hard worker, but a guy who was considered good in about 2000-1, but has not improved at the pace of MLS.

Gbandi is a mystery to me. I remember watching him play for UConn, and thinking that I had never seen such a good college player. He was completely dominant. It seemed totally reasonable that he be picked #1. He has never been right since his injury, and I have never understood why. He seems to have been given every opportunity to succeed in Dallas, and (when I have seen him play) he has seemed clueless. Should we be glad to get him, when all Dallas seems so happy to see him go? Can any FCD fans explain what his problem is?

Wouldn't a straight swap of Cancela for Reyes be more to the point?

Dr. Jay, what, even hypothetically, would SJ be willing to offer for Cancela and/or Franchino?

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    FWIW, I've since learned that at least one of the two players (not sure whether it's a Rev or not) in the rumored deal is going to be out of contract on January 1st, so perhaps a deal is contingent on this particular player re-signing with MLS first.

The Magpie

17. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Wrexham web site,

"With Wrexham currently in receivership, Dragons boss Dennis Smith faces a frustrating few months in trying to agree new deals with those players he wants to keep at the club beyond the end of the season. Joint administrator David Acland spelt out Smith's dilemma, saying: "We'd like to tie up contracts sooner rather than later but the reality is that the players involved are going to want to keep their options open. We cannot make too many forward plans because we don't know what the future holds for the club. It's not an ideal situation to be in, either for the manager or the players, but unfortunately it's a case of suck it and see."

"Chester boss Ian Rush tried to sign .....Dennis Lawrence earlier in the season......"

We know that SN is in contact with his old Liverpool teammate, Ian Rush, as he helped to arrange the training of Andy Dorman at Chester this winter.

Dennis Lawrence - 6'7" Central Defender from Trinidad & Tobago. Born 8/1/74. "Dennis a regular choice at both club and international level."

http://www.wrexhamafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Profiles/0,,10311~12447,00.html

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He must be "stick" thin! I've heard of forwards that size, or even goalkeepers, but never a defender.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

According to the Wrexham web site, he's 6 foot, 7 niches tall... and weighs 167 pounds. The following site says he's 6 foot, 6 inches tall, and weighs 182 pounds:

http://www.socawarriors.net/dennis_lawerence.htm

20. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Reyes gets forward as well as any defender in the league, but his defending is inconsistent. When he feels like it, he's very quick, uncomprising in the tackle, and above average in the air. However, he also has a penchant for untimely fouls and, um, forgetting his defensive responsibilities at key moments. Is the general consensus that you all would be better served by a center back (a la Jolley)?

21. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Untimely fouls? Forgetting his defensive responsibilities? He'll fit right in.

Seriously, you are right that the Revs' first priority is getting a quality center back, but that doesn't mean that's the Revs' only need. We need a left wing, and in Nicol's system the wings have a lot of defensive work. As Dempsey seems like he's being groomed to play in the middle (rather than on the left where he played in college), Reyes would seem a good fit. Also , he has the versatility that seems like a requirement for a Nicol player.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    It was either Dennis Lawrence or Carrington that gave away a weak goal against the US in 2001 at Foxboro. Lawrence has, at other times in T&T matches I've seen, looked extremely troubled when using his feet. Slow, too. Great in the air, but that should be icing, not the whole cake.

The trouble with Gbandi is that it's not just an injury-recovery thing, it's his decision making that's suspect. I saw a few Burn matches where he got caught upfield, and more than a few where he was guilty of some atrocious passing. As if he hasn't gotten used to the speed of play yet.

I think Reyes' position confuses people as to his true worth--which is as an offensive substitution, IMO. Put in at min. 65, he can scorch down the wing quite effectively and get crosses in. Trouble is, can the Revs afford another (though in my mind, much more effective) William Sunsing?