RUMOR: Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Since1996, Aug 26, 2007.

1. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

2. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest for yahoo MLS news as of 5:55 pm eastern time Monday August 27...

By Ian Parker Special to PA SportsTicker

The Los Angeles Galaxy are in an almighty rut. Getting out of it might require some radical moves. Jobs are on the line and the two men at the top general manager Alexi Lalas and head coach Frank Yallop are the two who need to worry most. Reports on Monday say Galaxy owner AEG is ready to replace Yallop with former Germany manager Jurgen Klinsmann, who lives in California. AEG wants a man who is capable of dealing with star names. Yallop has done little to show he is that man as the team has limped along all season and if anything become worse since Beckham arrived. It's not been easy because of the spotlight thrust on us, Yallop said. You try to imagine the hysteria surrounding his arrival but when he's here it's so different. It's not been easy. It's been kind of testing, to be honest.

It is indicative that it is AEG, and not Lalas, that is said to be reviewing Yallop's position. Lalas might not be around himself to welcome any new coach. It is said that Lalas needs a trophy and Wednesday's SuperLiga final is his only chance to keep his job. AEG is concerned that Lalas took his eye off the ball to focus on the Beckham deal at the expense of the rest of the team. The result is that Beckham has been thrust into an uncompetitive side producing poor displays at a time when the club is supposed to be the shining example in MLS. On Friday, the club named former assistant coach Paul Bravo as director of soccer. Bravo will take over responsibility for all technical and business issues relating to the team. Bravo will report to Lalas, but his arrival is a clear threat to the former USA international's future in Los Angeles. There was some good news for the Galaxy this week, and they can thank their woeful record in part. The Galaxy landed United States Under-17 prospect Israel Sesay in a weighted lottery. With the weightings decided in reverse order of the current standings, the Galaxy had an 18.5 percent chance of winning the lottery, second only to Real Salt Lake, and came up trumps. Sesay, 16, was born in Sierra Leone but has lived in Maryland since the age of 11, progressing through U.S. Soccer's youth development programs. "We are excited to have a player of Israel's potential joining the Galaxy," said Bravo. "We've been tracking him for the last 18 months and have been very impressed with him. Israel is a very talented player who has great pace, is good one-on-one player, and is someone that we see a lot of potential in."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_y...rYF?slug=txmlstalkingpoints&prov=st&type=lgns

3. Itsakitnotajersey

Itsakitnotajersey New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    SoulCal
    Saw this on bbc.

LA Galaxy are lining up Jurgen Klinsmann as their new coach as Frank Yallop cannot handle the pressure of coaching David Beckham. (Various)

4. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it bad for me to not want a miracle win on Wednesday so that we may actually be a good team next year and beyond?

5. art'n'sue

art'n'sue BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 2005
    Klinsmann would be an idiot to go to the Spurs. At least LA has some trophies to showcase. The only thing the Spurs has won lately is the LGPS title (Least Games Played in a Season) 40: 1 game, dumped from the League Cup, 1 game, dumped from the FA Cup, (no UEFA, no Champions), and your 38 regular season games.

6. Itsakitnotajersey

Itsakitnotajersey New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    SoulCal
    well at least he would have the joy of everyone tapping his club to break into the top 4 of the league before the beginning of eveyr campaign. Only of course to have those hopes diminished 2 matches into it. :D

"Hey you Spurs!"

7. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Join the club.

8. KingsQueen949

KingsQueen949 New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Bring in THIS guy as coach! He has some FIRE....some PASSION!

[​IMG]

9. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Klinsi rumors are definitely heating up. If he comes on board, and assuming are entire team of players stays intact for next season, we will definitely be at the top of the standings next year. Easy. Well, barring an ankle flare-up, of course!!!

10. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann isn't going to make these guys suddenly stop sucking.

11. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    With a new coach, chemistry, and a decent league schedule that doesn't force-feed games, heck yeah they will. Big time!

12. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same exact thing.

13. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that Lalas trying a new haircut??:eek:

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    uhm, spurs are in europe for the second season running. they made it to the quarter finals of the fa cup, the league cup and the uefa cup last year. last season only man united, liverpool and chelsea played more competitive games than spurs.

but klinsmann won't be going to spurs. jol is a better club coach. the fans love him, the players love him, he's the best coach the team has had in 50 years. spurs will be looking for a step up from martin, not a step down.

15. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    If any reports say that anybody is going to take over from Jolly then they are bs.
    Klinnsman wouldn't get the job even if Jol was sacked, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is looking at LAG. I think Yallop will keep his job, and be given a run with a fully fit squad. Look at Roeder at Newcastle, patching his team with academy kids like Huntington and that Canadian lad and still getting sacked for doing what all Barcodes managers do (ie f*ck all year after year). They haven't exactly looked better under Sam 'the back hander' Allardyce.

I do honestly thing that FY can turn this around, but then I think he may be sub-standard for what the Galaxy are looking to become as a club. It is only a matter of time before the axe falls imo, because the FO will want a bigger name in charge in a couple of seasons.

16. KingsQueen949

KingsQueen949 New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I obviously have NO clue how all the political stuff works. Don't you think AEG would be in touch with Becks to ask him what he thinks of Yallop? Have we heard any comment from Becks on Yallop?

Could AEG be getting sh*t from around the world on what an embarassment this team is? Is image a factor for AEG? I'm thinking out loud.

17. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

Gotta agree. This sounds like they have been snooping around bigsoccer.com.

As much as I wanted Klinsmann to take the job after Sampson, I'm not as comfortable with him taking the job after Yallop.

P.S. I absolutely love how SJ fans want Donovan back soo badly after labeling him Judas, etc, etc; boy you guys are pathetic:p

18. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I've just had a 'wow is that the time?' moment, but I think Beckham will not have much to do with upstairs decisions. If Yallop made him train too hard or do pressups or anything he didn't agree with, theoretically he could have him fired, so its not a workable situation.

I'd be surprised if AEG were not bothered by the teams on the field performance, but Alexi Lalas answers for that. I think that Paul Bravo is effectively an AEG insert to take over acquisitions and the money side of things, from Lalas and Yallop. It would be grossly unprofessional for AEG to effectively get insider info from a player. There is nothing more able to split a dressing room than that. If I were Yallop and I knew that was happening I would resign, but that might just be me.

While they may be seen as excuses, I think a lot of the reasons for our poor performances are valid. Caso and Tudela looked okay last night, but I would say that some of those on the field are simply not up to the grade. Kyle Veris is just not very good, and Troy Roberts comes in for a lot of undeserved stick but if LAG have ambitions he isn't going to be good enough. Alan Gordon, Edson Buddle, Chris Klein and Kelly Gray possibly need to be moved on as well, so I think while AEG will and seemingly have held Alexi and FY responsible for this, I think that the employment of a Director of Football is to give AEG more say in the workings of the team, rather than to help a new manager.

19. untitled77

untitled77 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    It's no unheard of that the front office would ask it's star player on their opinion of a possible coaching slection. I know the 76ers went to Allen Iverson to get his opinion on the hiring of Maurice Cheeks before they did it.

20. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    the sad reality is, it doesn't matter who's coach next season we will be immeasurably better than we are this season. if yallop gets a pass -- and i hope he does -- he'll look brilliant. if klinnsy comes in, he'll look brilliant.

• beckham will be with us from day one
    • our schedule will not be designed to appease the other owners
    • the media hype will be considerably lower
    • we won't be in super-liga; we might not even be in the open cup
    • donovan has no national team duties next year
    • beckham, even if england manages to qualify, probably won't be part of the euro 2008 squad
    • chris albright will be back

this season has been doomed from the day beckham signed, it was made worse by some poor trades.

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't we start World Cup qualifying next year?

22. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pressups and pushups are like fries and chips?

23. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    ah you might be right. while i support america wholeheartedly (until they play england :) ) i don't keep up with cocacaf qualifying as much. i know qualification in europe won't take place until october next year.

hopefully mls will learn a lesson from beckham this season and observe international dates.

24. Becks and Galaxy

Becks and Galaxy New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Re: Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

Klinsaman can't be worse than Yallop, it's worth a shot. He took a Germany team pretty far, and I didn't think they'd go that far. Maybe he can get this sorry roster to overachieve as well

25. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    This is the guy I wanted the U.S. to bring in after the disappointing Arena, but he wanted to stay in California. This would be the perfect fit for the Galaxy. This guy would bring 100% more passion than Yallop does. If Yallop can't handle the pressure, get him out of here. It seems as if his pouty attitude has spread to the team and its play. It wasn't good to hear Donovan whining about the schedule. If he keeps it up, he should be shipped out after Yallop.

Bring in Klinsmann!