RUMOR: Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Since1996, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Davidraether

Davidraether New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Re: Klinsmann tipped for leading role in LA

First of all, Frank Yallop is not a failure. He's a failure with this particular Galaxy team.

He didn't set this roster. The goofball did. He should be fired first.

Yallop clearly doesn't like coaching this team. Too high profile. He'd probably be happy to go back to San Jose. And it wouldn't hurt to lose Donovan to San Jose as well, if another high quality player came in.

2. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

Don't forget that comes with a side order of Branko Segota...:D

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Klinsi will be the new Manager of the Galaxy. In US terms, that would mean Coach/GM, so Lalas/Yallop are out (or at least heading to the doors).

4. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be nice, lets hope it really happens....

5. sharkeyca

sharkeyca New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

Let's start small. Let's replace Alexi La-loss with a potted fern to improve our trades before the end of the season.

6. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys I think this is all rumor with no real fact behind it.

7. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the speculation that Landon Donovan would go to San Jose is tenuous at best. Let's look at this logically:

Q. What does San Jose give LA?
    A: Nothing. They have no players currently. They'll have the first pick in the Superdraft, but does anyone believe LA would trade Donovan for said pick? Unless the league and the board of owners decide to give each team two DP slots, how could San Jose trade their DP slot to LA for a DP player?

Q. Why would Landon return to San Jose?
    A: This is the sole reason why this rumor exists. Landon once played in San Jose, which coincidentally, is in California (gee whiz), where of course, Landon wants to spend the rest of his waking moments (or so the group think would have us believe). Has anyone actually talked to Landon about this? No. Until I hear those words from his lips, I won't believe the simple idea that he'd orchestrate a trade to San Jose just to stay in California.

Q. Would Landon go to another MLS team?
    A: This may be the most pertinent question of them all. I don't put much stock in Landon's alleged comments suggesting he'd be open to a move to the Premiership, but it's not entirely out of the question. Of course, he'd doubtless be looking for a move to satisfy his wife (fulfilling Roy Keane's critique of WAG culture), but if the right opportunity came up, it's possible that he'd take it. It's my opinion that it's LA or nothing (as far as it concerns MLS anyway). And quite frankly, there aren't too many other teams that would be willing to trade for Landon at high cost, and even fewer who could satisfy the Galaxy's likely demands.

8. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.
    C'mon you guys it's just a rumor.Unless Frank is leaving town by 6 pm.:rolleyes:

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good points. Next season, odds are there will either be the existing 1 DP slot per team rule, or perhaps the 1 foreign DP and 1 Domestic DP per team modifier. Either way, there is no way Donovan can get traded to San Jose that makes sense. In the first, SJ would have to trade away their only DP to get Donovan, who needs a DP slot. In the second instance, LA would have a domestic DP slot for Donovan, and is there any American player better than Donovan to use that slot on? I guess if Gooch or Boca wanted to come back to the US and we wanted to shore up our Defense that way, it might make sense, but otherwise it doesn't.

The only way we could get value for Donovan would be to trade him to a team that has an open DP spot, in exchange for several players that add depth and quality to several positions on the field. And then the issue arises that Donovan probably has a clause in his contract that gives him approval over any trade, and do you think he'd allow a trade with Columbus to go through?

I think Donovan stays put, at least until we see how the rules get revised for next season...

As far as Klinsmann goes, I could see him being interested, since he promised his wife they would live in SoCal after he retired as a player. And all us married guys know how keeping your wife happy makes life so much easier... :)

10. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes of course :) MUCH much easier.

Im surprised no real MLS news this morning. I guess a change within LAG was too hopeful!

11. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Even more important and obvious...Why would San Jose want Landon Donovan as a DP? There are more exciting players to be had for the money.

12. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, if the league gives each team 2 DP's - one unlimited, and one limited to say $1 million or so, trading Donovan might make sense for the Galaxy, and even possibly SJ. Say they trade Donovan for the unlimited DP, now SJ has to use their limited DP on him, and they fill up the rest of the team with their 1st position Superdraft pick and expansion draft and allocations. The Galaxy now has 2 unlimited DP's and 1 limited one, which could mean 3 big impact players, instead of the 2 they would have if they used the limited DP for Donovan.

It works even better for both teams if the league gives 2 unlimited DP's. Or even in your scenario #2, the Galaxy end up with one "foreign" and 2 domestic DP's, although you're right there aren't many guys that it would pay to spend that kind of money on. McBride if he had stayed healthy, maybe a defender such as Boca or Gooch, as you pointed out.

13. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My inspiration for waking up today was to wake up and see that this rumor was true.

14. sharkeyca

sharkeyca New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Who in their right mind would spend a DP spot on a defender? Also, have you watched Boca and Gooch recently? Only someone as horribly inept and foolish as Alexi Lalas would sign those two w/ a DP spot. Oh, wait...

15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. It would be lame.

16. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard he doesnt want to leave southern California. Anyone remember where that came from?

18. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. His wife.

Edit: For the record, I don't really believe this rumor either, but you know, the Beckham signing came absolutely out of nowhere so I've become rather accustomed to expecting the unexpected.

19. sharkeyca

sharkeyca New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Uh, when they made the DP rule, they called it the damn Beckham rule from day one. If they weren't going to be able to sign him, they probably weren't going to implement the DP rule this year.

20. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Did you expect Beckham to be signed for the 2007 season back in November? I sure as hell didn't, "Beckham rule" or not.

21. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah! I'd say "Beat LA" but that seems to have no meaning since
    everyone has already done so. Klinsi-poo is coming in too late- his
    hiring is very marketable and will probably earn the Galaxy some more
    lucrative friendlies in their (money-making) post-season international tour

22. solost22

solost22 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The British believe everyone is in talks to take over at Tottenham.

As for the comment before about if Klinsman takes over that he would bring in a German 06' player...i'm gonna go with no to that. Everyone agrees that using a DP spot on a defender is a waste and the midfielders and forwards from the German 06' team are all in either new contracts or expensive contracts (Ballack).

23. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lalas already is the team CLOWN.

I mean, his player trades/acquisitions have been absolutely hilarious (or sad, depending on how you look at it).

Both Lalas and Yallop are done. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when".

There is no way that those two will survive this horrific debacle of a team that would give up 5 goals to 11 grannies.

As for Klinsmann - the rumor has zero credibility at this point. So nobody should get their hopes up.

But it does make sense:

Galaxy are in SoCal, where Klinsmann wants to stay with his family.

With Beckham around, the Galaxy are extremely high profile - the only type of coaching job Klinsmann has said he'd be interested in.

Klinsmann has been associated with the Galaxy, in various ways, for a long time - technical adviser, player/adviser at practices, testimonial game, friends with some players, etc.

In negotiations for coaching the US team, Klinsi wanted complete control - management (player development/acquisition decisions), as well as coaching. The U.S. soccer federation was unwilling to give that much complete control. But with Lalas and Yallop being so horrible, the Galaxy are ripe to give that kind of control to such a high credibility, high profile, individual as Klinsmann.

24. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and was posted back on Aug 19, 2007...it's old news and he is still in LA and have not signed with them... So the Galaxy still have a shot at him!

25. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot see Klinsman taking over Tottenham. Is this based on him playing there for a year and a half? I thought his whole deal was SoCal or nothing, which has been brought up over and over...

Using your DP on a defender a waste? I don't think so. Just look at Seattle's USL-1 record since signing back Taylor Graham from RBNY. Defenders are important and my assessment is that LA is missing a real stopper presence. Xavier is good but I can only imagine how impregnable Cannon's goal would be with TWO guys of that mentality. Whoooooo. Glad we're not in the league until 2009...