Rumor: Final Stadium Decision Soon?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor is bridgeview is site of our SSS

This is just a rumor but it is that Bridgeview site has been chosen over the chicago sox park site and staying at New Soldier Field. Might be announced at MLS cup. Just a rumor so take it for what it is.

2. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Where did ya hear this from?

3. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promised the person I would not reveal the source.

4. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    I think that's unfortunate, but it will be what it will be. soldier field seemed kind of empty today, even with 15k there. Bridgeview is preferable in the long run to New SF, I think. Just wish things could have worked out in Chicago but I had a feeling they would never pony up for the share of the improvements AEG wanted.

5. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    congratulations. i thought their economic package and overall plan for the facility was too good to turn down.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    sweet jeebus... i pray this is announced at mls cup... as we are hoisting the cup

7. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I'm sure that he wanted you to run home and post it on bigsoccer too.

Regardless. Anouncements and details will be revealed at MLS cup in a couple weeks. No need to speculate. Just be patient.

8. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    Excuse me, this is Bigsoccer. I presume you meant to post " please speculate as there is no reason to be patient".

9. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I know. What was I thinking!

10. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Welp, I hope like all hell the rumor is just that.

I think the team needs to stay in town and near the 'center' of things. SF and the site by Comiskey both do that, moving out from there is a mistake.

11. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long term you might be right.I really am not crazy about going to a southwest suburb away from the center of the metro area which I consider downtown chicago. I guess the money was there and chicago couldn't offer what bridgeview offered. I also wonder how much of the decision to leave SF even is because AEG possibly wants to sell the fire and with a SSS paid for, makes it attractive and easier to get a potential buyer.

12. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Who knows if the rumor is true. We all can agree that the Fire needs a home of its own. If the financial deal is there in Bridgeview and not in Chicago then so be it. All along Wilt has been up front saying any move would be be about the whole package, especially financials.

Chicago had/has its chance to step up to the plate. Will they? Six years of history tells me no, they won't.

This one is really quite simple - a) which city wants the Fire more; b) who will offer the best deal.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really unfortunate. This news actually has me kinda depressed. I thought Bridgeport was a perfect location from a accessability stand point. Not only that, but the dream of having a SSS right next to Comisky, like so many other football/baseball stadium combos around the country is dead. But, without a doubt, the most unfortunate thing is that our Chicago team will not be in Chicago. I really do think this will have a long term affect on media coverage. I guess the Fire have to do what they think is best, but i'd be lying if I said this decision didn't leave me quiet upset.:(

-Mike

14. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is that it is from a very reliable source and that person did say it was definite but the person is not an employee of the fire so we will just have to wait a couple weeks to see if it is true.

15. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    If it's true it won't upset me at all. Aren't you all sick of being the city's stepchild? I know I am.

They have an opportunity to step up if they want the Fire in the city proper. I believe PW has stated severaltimes that all things being equal the team would stay in the city - they own the tie breaker. All they have to do is match Bridgeview's best offer.

If they fail to match BRIDGEVIEW in order to keep the Fire, it proves to me even more just how much the city values the Fire.

Chicago Fire deserves much, much better.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not putting blame on the Fire. I'm just saying that this whole situation has me upset. The fact that he city and the team couldn't come to terms is unfortunate, and i think everyone involved is missing out on something great because of it. Well, everyone except Bridgeview. But I have nothing to do with them, so I could care less what they get out of this deal.

17. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    The answer is simple. You put up the money. Because that's the only thing the city is lacking. They have a site and they do have a true desire to keep the Fire in the city. But they don't have anything even remotely close to the financial package that Bridgeview can/is offering. It's really quite simple.

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bake sale anyone?

19. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    If thats the case its not too bad. Bridgeview is a Stones throw from Chicago border. Although something tells me we will be surprised about what could happen in Chicago. My gut tells me there is more than one location in the city. Not just the Sox park site. I think we may have something a little closer north and a little father west. Just a hunch.

20. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I hope somebody's got a really big oven! ;)

21. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Definate but it is a rumor!?!?! If I was this person I wouldnt tell you shhheeeeeit anymore.

22. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing this person said was that some in the fire organization wanted to wait to make a decision on a stadium but that AEG wanted to make a definite decision now.

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That person said it was definite and I believe that person but I still labelled it a rumor because it wasn't Peter Wilt telling me this so if it doesn't come out to be true I don't want to be blasted.

24. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

Yeah but those Democratic government cheese party city employees have the money for millenium park to run hundreds of million of dollars over budget.
    Oh yeah! Lets have that Democratic city planter box party put up more usless planter boxes for me to have to slow down to 40 Miles an hour on lakeshore drive and give some more landscapers useless jobs in the city. I could shoot Daley in the head. My father and I got property tax bill increases of 60 to 100% on our city owned rental property this fall so we can pay these freaking losers to plant flowers all over the freaking city. Can you imagine whats it like to have your annual tax bill for your rental property go from $120,000 a year to $200,000 plus!?!?! Then have to explain to tenants why we have to raise rents just to survive!!!
    If these jerkoffs can throw money away for government cheese jobs they can toss some money to keep the team in the city. Daley and co can kiss my ass. I have met the guy numerous times at the CBOE and he is pretty cool but he is running such a politcal machine its annoying.
    OK I am done bitching!!

25. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I like being blasted! But anyway I hope it is not true. In the long run it will not be good for the team. Oh well.