rumor: Athletica going under

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by rokagrl13, May 20, 2010.

1. CoCo_S_T_L

CoCo_S_T_L New Member

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    It seems that these are the future possibilities:

1. Team folds immediately and doesn't play out the 2010 season.
    2. WPS floats Athletica for the rest of the season. Then the team is scattered via a dispersal draft, a la the Sol.
    3. WPS float Athletica until a magical wealthy investor swoops in with the required funding.

1 seems unlikely as it is bad for the league and I think WPS will do what it takes to keep the team intact for the season. 3 is just wishful thinking. So basically we're left with no more pro soccer in St. Louis once this season is over. Anyone see any other realistic scenario? :confused:

Also, I don't understand how running Soccer Park (where you run parking, concessions, etc. and keep 100% of the profits) is more expensive than renting a facility (like SIUE, SLU, etc.) where the stadium, the concessions vendors, and others all take a cut of the profits. Are property taxes that high in Fenton?

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL...Cooper IS a wealthy investor. By WPS standards very wealthy. He's worth at least $200 million so he could run the Athletica with the change he lost between his sofa cushions.

We're not talking an MLS team here. If Cooper just lets the Athletica die I would be shocked beyond belief. IF he did that he's certainly not a man of his word and maybe something else is going on that we don't know about.

There is no way operating Soccer Park could cost THAT much since Cooper and his group would've already looked into how much it costs to run the place before they accepted it from AB.

3. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    http://acstlfanatic.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/ac-st-louis-fanatic-podcast-for-may-25th/

Interesting podcast, though it's mostly about the men's team. They talk about the issue of costs of running the facility, travel, etc. and raise the issue of if you are trying to get investors, is it easier to have them put their money into one team? Will the teams be competing for investor bucks, etc? Has AC blown too much money on players, and not enough on marketing??? If you want to skip alot of the men's league talk, tune in @ minute 14.

4. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Another investor could also buy the team and relocate it.

Could be a high-stakes game of chicken too.

5. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    That's what I was thinking would be the best-case scenario. For example, maybe the league can finally work out a deal with that investment group in LA that nearly stepped in last year to save the Sol. If that happened, Athletica could just be relocated there; would be much simpler than contracting (dispersal draft) and then turning around and expanding (expansion draft).

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe better for the league than Athletica going under, but 2000 miles is a long way for some us to go for a home game.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IMO, not having a home team is MUCH better than seeing WPS fold. And a generic relocation would be awesome, as it would keep the team together.

BTW, someone one Facebook linked to the Athletica thread on STLsoccer.net (I don't know how to link to post, so I'll just quote them here):
    This was followed immediately by
    I don't know how much I trust either "source" (I mean, "Tank"? Maybe I'm just not awake right now, but I can't think of who that would be who's currently on the team), but I hope to God they're both petty rumors. =-/

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not a chance. All you would be doing is greatly increasing costs.

9. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading at "Bosnian". Why would anybody in Bosnia care about women's soccer...in the U.S.? OK, I didn't stop, but really...

As far as "Tank", could be anybody and their fratboy/varsity-jock-wannabe brother.

As far as Jorge, I haven't kept track of him or the rest of the coaching staff. No surprise if they are already gone and I'm not aware of it. I hope JB does what's best for him, but that this situation settles.

10. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The authenticity of the claim is obviously questionable, but if you are going to throw someone's reputation down you have to assume either vengeance or some veracity. And it certainly doesn't appear to be the former. And yes, she would be well-connected.

11. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Well, if there is truth to the rumor about Barcellos going to Chicago, then this would probably be the reason why the Red Stars haven't announced an interim coach or anything. The league is dealing with both issues at once and they may or may not be ready to announce the Athletica mess to the masses. I'm sure we'll see a press release about all of it before the weekend matches, along with some BS optimistic message about how committed all of the other owners are.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, the ACSTL supporter's group United Knights, some of whom have been coming to Athletica games recently, is predominantly Bosnian.
    That's what I thought, too.
    I noticed that, in the "week 7" update on the WPS homepage, there's not a mention of the Athletica mess in the article itself but a good dozen links in the news links section at the bottom of the article.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as Barcellos goes, he's under contract. Unless Athletica reneges on the contract or releases him from the contract, Chicago shouldn't be able contact him, nor could he leave to join Chicago.

My first thoughts last night with regards to the all road game scenario was to dismiss it for the exact reasons SportBilly stated. However, I got to thinking of a scenario where it could actually happen. Assuming WPS takes over Saint Louis and all of their home games become road games, the other teams would no longer have travel costs to St. Louis. Those teams could pick up the cost of Athletica's travel instead. Those teams would get additional revenue from ticket sales, parking, and concessions and could remit part of the proceeds to the league to help WPS pay for the cost of running Athletica and players' salaries. Meanwhile, Athletica could probably eliminate a big hunk of their staff. No marketing or ticket sales to worry about. No game day staff or lighting or security.

The main question would be what the league's obligation to reimburse Athletica's ticket holders.

14. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm guessing 'Tank' would refer to Melissa Tancredi who used to play for Athletica. I'm obviously making no comment on the validity of the 'tankfan' or their friendship, just an observation.

15. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    He's under contract to be paid, which I assume he hasn't. And if the league is running the team they probably gladly purged the salary to someone who will pay it.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That actually makes sense in a way.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes. I seem to remember a bio of a well-regarded player on AC that's Bosnian. Is there, in general, a big Bosnian community in the area? I'm really only familiar with Webster Groves and Ladue, two Missouri-side towns, which doesn't say too much.

Cville KC's scenario does make lots of sense, though it'll be sad to see them kind of be the Wanderers of the team, if that proves true.

I'm already eager for the offseason, for a Take Two.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know if the league has taken over the team yet. No announcement has been made yet, so I'm assuming not. If the team continues in any form, somebody has to coach them. I'm not sure where I read it, but I think I've read that Athletica's payroll wasn't due to be paid this week.

19. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Yes.

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Largest in US. (Estimated at 50 - 70,0000)

22. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    In EPL, there have been managers who switched teams during the season...
    A few years ago, Steve Bruce jumped from Birmingham City to Wigan. Last season, Owen Coyle jumped from Burnley to Bolton. Burnley was eventually relegated. Bolton avoided relegation...

I guess it would be possible to save money by letting Coach Barcellos go to Chicago...Just hire a temporary coach who would get paid less.
    Then ask Chicago to pay some compensation for getting Barcellos...

Playing all the remaining games away from St. Louis area...I don't know...Sounds like a punishment...
    Last season, EPL deducted points from Portsmouth for financial mismanagement...Remember, Portsmouth ended up in administration.

23. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    http://www.setpieceanalysts.com/201...with-mens-club-finds-womens-teams-overlooked/

"Nothing has been finalized, though, and until something is, Athletica remain on a cliff’s ledge, a ludicrous situation when you consider AC St. Louis’s financial obligations for the remainder of the season are three time those of Athletica’s. Why does Athletica have to be dragged-down with their nascent brother club?

The needs of AC St. Louis have been prioritized such that the men’s club has been allowed to compromise the women’s. They amount of money they have paid for the like of Steve Ralston, and Brazilians Gauchinho and Alex Titton. They paid for Claude Anelka to come coach the team and hired former Manchester United Academy director Francisco Filho as their head of player development. And as St. Louis made each of these moves, they vaulted AC ahead of the club that deserved to be first in the pecking order.

Nevermind the fact that Athletica are one year older than AC St. Louis. Forget that they have performed better on the pitch and overlook the fact that their operating costs are roughly one-third those of the USSF Division-2 team. Oh yeah – AC St. Louis is a Division-2 team, not a top-division club like Athletica. Athletica is in a USSF sanctioned league, while AC St. Louis (of the North American Soccer League) is in a provisional USSF-run league. As far as crowds, the teams draw about the same."

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link to that piece, defensewins.

25. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    No problem Kool-aid. It's hard to dispute much of what was said. I am trying to keep an open mind, but that's difficult when you feel effed over.