Rumor: Anschutz interested in ManU takeover

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Sep 20, 2003.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  2. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If Uncle Phil managed to buy man u, could he then, if he chose, move them to the U.S. and MLS?

Kinda like the Dodgers got moved from Brooklyn?

Even theoretically, would it be possible?

And frankly, wouldn't it make the team more profitable? If they sold out Giant Stadium every game, wouldn't that bring in more money than Old Trafford?

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    *bans femfa for stupidity*

Anschutz is not the only billionare interested in taking over man u.

5. Yankee Eagle

Yankee Eagle New Member

Oct 7, 2001
    New York City
    Man Utd/Anschutz

Let's see, AEG owns half of MLS and Man Utd? Isn't he up on securities charges? Sounds like a load of cobblers to me!

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You, however, are apparently brilliant for making a statement on a topic I never even addressed.

I am aware that others are supposedly interested in buying the team.

My question was - if someone (Phil, in this particular theory) bought the team, would he then have the right to move it if he so chose? Even out of the country?

If you care to answer, rather than call names, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

7. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    how can he move man u? so they can nolonger play in the champions league and only in the 10 team mls?

use your brain sir!

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in other words, you weren't being facetious? That's frightening.

Asking if Phil could move MUFC out of the City of Manchester -- let alone the totally insane idea of moving them to the USA -- is like asking if you could push your own excrement back up your ass with a plunger. Perhaps you technically could, but why would you ever want to?

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a rumor that Michael Keaton is going to buy a Scottish team and move them to Dublin. Are there any laws governing this sort of thing?

- Paul

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is also a Rupert Murdock trying to buy ManU rumor brewing. According to some message board some guy said it's all over Australian papers. Rupert was trying to buy ManU a few years ago but didn't succeed.

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has no thoughts of moving Man Utd. out of Manchester. He will just be using Man Utd. as a farm club for the Galaxy. :)

12. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Jeez, a little vitrolic - aren't we?

I figured, as long as we were rumormongering, why not get even more fantastical with the possibilities?

See who it freaks out.

But it's also a valid question, NO MATTER HOW UNLIKELY.

It's not like Man U has done well in CL lately - and there's only a couple of teams that can ever seem to challenge their hold on the EPL, and they always seem to choke.

So who's to say a visionary decides that in one fell swoop he'll bring legitimacy to MLS by bringing in the top team from England?

And if the idea drives you crazy, whose sucker are you?

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Man Utd/Anschutz

femfa, please, for the love of God, tell me you are joking.
    I always wonder about guys like this. This is his 3rd post in the 2 years since he's joined. You'd figure it would be something special to get him to take the plunge. But it's 3 short sentences.

I'm not criticizing the sentences. You'd just think that if a guy had an "annual post" schedule, each post would be dynamite.

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good movie... but that didn't even happen in the hollywood version of uk soccer.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's your theory then on someone who has 7,616 posts in four years. :)

To be fair, 5,719 of those posts were reminding people of FIFA's rules against the international transfer of children, but...

:D

16. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if he does buy them I bet Man Utd. will play an MLS team on their next US tour.

17. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    SHHHH, davey, the joke's no fun if you fess to it!

I was actually meaning to tease dark knight a little - since he's from Brooklyn - with a reminder of that infamous move.

Which did happen, though many swore it never would.

A country and league move, I've never seen - but Man U likes to claim it makes history all the time, no?

If Phil bought the team, why wouldn't he want to keep all his toys in one playground? (the U.S.)

:)

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, maybe he's really planniing on having them become a Euro hockey team.

19. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Re: Man Utd/Anschutz

No he is not up on any secruities charges. He payed 3 million dollar fine and its over and done with. He is also the largest shareholder of Union Pacific railroad and Forest Oil as well as PEP Energy INC. Lets not forget Qwest and Regal Cinemas as well. IF anyone could do it he could.

20. Yankee Eagle

Yankee Eagle New Member

Oct 7, 2001
    New York City
    Moving clubs out of country

Any such move must be approved by the FA (Federation) that club is a member of, e.g. a Scottish club must get permission from the S.F.A. A few years ago Sam Hamman floated the rumor that he was willing to move Wimbledon to Dublin. It was shot down faster than a biplane.

21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Hell the profits from owning Man Utd would pay for the MLS.

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's anything in this. Shareholders United will make this an unattractive option for any wouldbe bidder.

23. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Man U is a public-trading company, I think, which behaves like a stock, thus anyone can buy a piece of that company. Uncle Phil might buy a piece of it, 10% maybe if it is doable. The more people wanting to buy a stock, the higher the value will be. With Uncle Phil connection to SUM, Regal Entertainment, and Concert Venues, and of course MLS, Man U will probably be one of the best marketed foreign sport club in America (not that it is not number 1 already) just by making it more than it is already so.

I don't think Uncle Phil can be the majority owner of Man U though. But it looks like a good investment since if Man U can crack into the US market, its value will go up by 25% if not more.

Owning Man U could provide extra matches for his future Soccer Specific Network. (cable TV)

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are two ways Phil can be the majority owner.

1. ManU board decides to sell him the team.

2. Hostile take over. He tries to buy all the shares he can.

Phil can buy the team and turn the team into private. Public companies can become private. One example is Seagate. They use to be a public company with stock being trade in Nasdaq, but now you can't buy their stock because they turned private after a person buys the whole company.