Rummy: Media to blame for negative Iraq news

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BillQ, Jun 30, 2005.

1. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jun2005/20050628_1889.html

Wow, even though the MSM has been the Bush Administration's bitch, these people still have to harp on it.

Seriously, how else can you report the news out of Iraq. I wake up every morning hearing more people have been killed in Iraq, most every story I read talks about how difficult it is for the US to create an independent Iraqi security force. More and more evidence shows that the insurgency is not going to go away. On top of it, we have no flipping clue what our exit strategy is as of yet.

Honestly, I know that Karl and ITN swallow this BS like Jenna Jamison swallows a load from Peter North, but how does many in the general public think that everything is fine in Iraq?

2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Rummy just took it out to the media after slammed by Ted Kennedy in the congress hearing. Poor chap!

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By reporting ALL the news, not just the part that jives with their agenda! When did ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, or PBS report on Iraq schools being contructed, roads being fixed, or Iraqis being trained?... When did ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, or PBS report anything on the ongoing Operations being conducted by the U.S. military within Iraq and the intelligence they uncover, or the terrorists being caught? No...every day the major media cover the insurgents exclusively; hell it looks like that's all they wish to show!
    Look at the recent elections... Did ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, or PBS report anything at all on them and their impact? That was the most hushed story of all time! What about the oil pipeline or any of the myriad other infrastructure improvements going on within Iraq? You hear about any of those? NOPE! Not on ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, or PBS! You will on Fox! And that's the only one doing the hard news stories from Iraq~!

Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld is spot on with his observation about the media message on Iraq; the major media need to get with the program and join the War on Terror, not the war against the United States!

4. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I suggest we merge all networks stations to one - "the Grand USA Anti-terrorism Network" under Fox, directly reporting to the president.

How's that sound, ITN?

5. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    ITN, you ignorant slut. I think all those channels have showed the good stuff that have gone on in Iraq (and there has been, no doubt about it). But, when you still have large millitias that are hellbent to try and kill as many of our troops and Iraqi civilians and have not stopped since Bush declared the war was over, they yeah I think the Media has a right to report on it the way it does.

BTW, dont come back to me on saying that the networks have an agenda when your favorite outlets like The Washington Times and FNC both have well-reported biases and agendas themselves.

6. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I saw it on last evening's NBC 6:30 pm news.

7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only trolls like ITN are still reiterating these lame dodges -- attempts to blame the news media for making the situation in Iraq look bad, as opposed to blaming the administration for creating a bad situation in Iraq. Only a troll refuses to acknowledge the mess we are in there. Hey, I guess that makes Rummy a troll. So maybe the best thing is just to ignore him.

8. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Richard Cohen (who backed the invasion) in the WP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/29/AR2005062902585.html

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BillQ, you retarded turd. The very reason these terrorists are trying to kill Iraqis and Americans is the reason that we went to war against them. The front on the War on Terror is Iraq; far better to have them there than here! The media can report whatever it wishes, but that does not grant them a fair and balanced assessment.

10. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When has it been safe for any unembedded media to be in Iraq?

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Since when is any of this stuff more important than American servicemen dying?

12. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God star for you.

13. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    ITs the policies of this administration that are getting our kids in uniform killed in Iraq at this point. To quote Tom Delay when talking about Kosovo seven years ago today, I support the troops, but not the President.

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wars in which Americans are injured and die are a no no?
    Is the death toll the most important and sole reportable fact
    about a war?

600,000 dead in American Civil War (Union/Confederate)
    Should we have quit and pulled out after the first death?

47,000 deaths (KIA*) in Vietnam

4,734,991 (Total Servicemembers) in World War I

16,112,566 (Total Servicemembers) in World War II

5,720,000 (Total Servicemembers) in Korean War

2,183,000 (Total Servicemembers) in Gulf War

*approx
    Source: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004615.html
    {Edited version}

The current War on Terror, statistically speaking, based on men in arms involved in coalition, longetivity thus far, and number of casualties, is one of the safest wars in American History, in terms of injured and dead. Yet, all the major media can speak of is the casualty lists and need to "get out"!

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll eat the phone on my desk right now if you can tell me when he suggested we quit and pull out after the first, or any other, death.

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LIES... I don't remember that much death in the early 90's... Get your facts straight.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I footnoted data with linky!

18. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Facts are stupid things to him.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what I was saying or replying to...I was replying to this:

Originally Posted by Samarkand
    "Since when is any of this stuff more important than American servicemen dying?"

There is other news beyond deaths in war....

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus those numbers aren't even close to being right. Where did you cut and paste from?

21. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    You are such a fvcking liar, or just plain stupid. Those numbers are NOT deaths. Read the god-damned source - those are casualties AND veterans.

2,183,000 CASUALTIES AND VETERANS of the Gulf War, not "deaths", as you say.

Read the break-down from your own source:
    Total servicemembers 2,183,000
    Serving in-theater 665,476
    Battle deaths 147
    Other deaths in service (theater) 382
    Other deaths in service (nontheater) 1,565
    Nonmortal woundings 467
    Living veterans 1,852,0001

So that's only 2,094 deaths in the Gulf War, and 3/4s of those weren't even in theater (that's a lot of accidents!)

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. Do you have a link to the quote? I smell a new sig.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok...and where does he say we should quit and pull out after the first, or any other, death? Where?

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You weren't saying 2.1 million DIED are you? If you are.....this is worse than your cartoon post a few days back.

Gulf War (1990–1991)Total servicemembers 2,183,000
    Serving in-theater 665,476
    Battle deaths 147
    Other deaths in service (theater) 382
    Other deaths in service (nontheater) 1,565
    Nonmortal woundings 467
    Living veterans 1,852,0001

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to give ITN the benefit of the doubt on his first post - why is the media ignoring all the good stuff going on Iraq? I think that's been answered above - its too damn dangerous to go out and report on schools being built.

But by the accounts I've heard, the economy is much worse off now than it was a year ago. So, if Rummy wants to blame the media - fine. But what is the alternative?