Ruling allows Florida to Reject Incomplete Voter Registrastions

Discussion in 'Elections' started by the_baron, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"He tasks me; he tasks me, and I shall have him!"

Try to find the right to a credit card, driver's license and a loan in the set of national decision-rules, bait-boy.

Now, in how many amendments is the right to vote expressed? In how many ways?

ITN - (sniff) - you stink. Must be from spouting that sewage.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think failure to check that box should be reason to not register someone? Simple question. Yes or no.

If yes, you're saying that the purpose of the paperwork is NOT to create a record and get a signature so that fraud is prosecutable, but to create hurdles to voting.

It's very, very interesting to me, to take one example, that most GOPs reflexively talk about felons not voting. Um, why the hell shouldn't they vote (assuming their crime is unrelated to election fraud)? Are they exempt from paying income taxes? Are they barred from drivers licenses? Can they get married?

The whole reason felons can't vote is that it was a way to keep the brothas down. Why are voting registration forms not as simple as possible, while getting all the necessary information? Explain that to me. Defend it. You're automatically defending denying people the right to vote on what is clearly, CLEARLY, a technicality and not a substantive issue. Ask yourself why you're doing that. Ask yourself what democracy is to you.

PS...by your standard, your own post should be rejected. You wrote "the field" is highlighted, but if you look at the form, there's a series of parts to it.

But in all seriousness, the "if no" part could be interpreted to mean it's only relevant if the answer is, in fact, no. *I* wouldn't interpret it that way, but I'm the kind of person who fills out forms alot. Someone who doesn't have a credit card, and doesn't have a mortgage, wouldn't have that experience. But I think those people should be allowed to vote.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want everyone to have the right to vote and I want everyone to vote!

However, "rights" involve certain "rules"... In the same way that I am allowed to own a firearm via the 2nd Amendment, but its ownership requires rules..I'm sure on that you would agree... therefore the "right" to vote involves certain rules... prime among these: eligibility. That's all.. Let's make it fair! Everyone votes (once) and everyone proves eligibility!

IntheNet

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes

Or its intent could be to prevent non-citizens from voting? A simple checkbox is hardly a hurdle.

5. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Primarily in relationship to a "well regulated Militia," which at that time, prior to a permanent volunteer army and national guard, was "necessary to the security of a free State," but don't let that get in the way of a failed argument.

I don't mind you putting "rules" in quotes, because, well, that's how you were raised, but why "rights"?

And since we have distilled participation in the representative republic down to voting, why not err, if one is to err at all, on the side of getting everyone's participation instead of the other way around? I can understand vested interests wanting to control voting (like Putin and others, btw), but why an everyday citizen would promote that - unless they saw themselves as a member of the promote-myth-but-don't-buy-in Straussian "elite" - ever, at all, under any circumstance, I'll not ever understand.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ever run across a dictionary... look up the word "militia" then climb down from your sanctimonous high horse and re-read your reply...

Everyone looks forward to "everyone's participation" within the rules of eligibility... What we don't want, however, is folks voting in one precinct, then visiting another precinct and voting again! Simple checks on eligibility virtually eliminate this from happening! Additionally, simple eligibility checks verify that those "rights" to vote are assured...

IntheNet

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Speaking of which, when are you going to update that damn thing?

And "Red Dawn," Gringo? ;)

(Well, as long as "Red Dawn" ranks below Andrei Zvyagintsev's "The Return," it's all good.)

8. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Hey, some of those girls in Red Dawn were cute.

But on the other hand, if you follow Sting Ray's plan; non-citizens or even illegal aliens that own property should be able to vote; right, Sting Ray?

9. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    But what if you own property & you plan to commit mass murder? Should you still be able to vote?

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The form was revised in Jan 2004, but it essentially the same form used in the last election. The key difference is required fields (such as the US citizen question) are now clearly marked as "REQUIRED".

11. ERobens

ERobens Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Providence, RI
    Why are these Floridians even bothering to register??

Thousands of Florida ballots missing?

Don't know if this was in another thread, but this is getting ridiculous.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That hasn't been updated in a while now.

13. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I think superdave also left out "Intolerance".

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Let alone Smokey & the Bandit II.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget that -- I want to know where Cannonball Run places.

16. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Yeah, you don't like my post so that makes me a racist clanmember rushophile. Truely idiotic.
    Um, no thanks, your not my type, I'm not into your kinky Rush mask thing.

Uh, yeah...that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

17. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    Although I disagree with many opinions expressed by liberal posters, I consider most of you to be pretty intelligent, and the fact that you seriously argue that requiring someone to fill out sections clearly marked required is somehow voter supression, boggles my mind.

would you be satisfied if we tossed out all the forms that had been correctly filled out??? atleast then you'd get the results you seek...

18. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    If we have hoops for election law, why not for gun law?

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    What the hell ever happened to "Motor Voter?"

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet you're a young kid, and/or have little historical knowledge, and/or ain't from the South.

I keep forgetting that while I know it because of my background in history, the story of suppression of black voters in the late 19th centry isn't common knowledge. I forget that there are alot of people who don't understand that 110 years ago, white southerners reacted to the Populist movement with a virulent white supremacy movement, and put up a series of obstacles to voting, then looked the other way when whites couldn't pass those obstacles. I forget that alot of people don't know that there's a history of finding reasons for denying people the right to vote, as opposed to finding reasons to help people vote.

Here's a question, Kelly...how hard should it be to register to vote? When it comes to registering, what matters and what doesn't matter? You guys really need to step back and open your minds. You're so into the koolaid that it doesn't even faze you that your side is looking for excuses to deny people the right to vote. I mean, who the f*** cares if they don't check the box, what difference does that make? You don't even ponder that, not for a second. You're like people who live in the shadow of Niagara Falls. After a while, they can't hear it.

21. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    First of all, I'm a student at Arizona State University, and i've never lived in the south.. That being said, i'm very aware of poll taxes, jerrymandering, and lots of other examples of white guys trying to eliminate the voice of the black voter... The supression of democrat, or supposedly democrat voters is a real issue and needs to be stopped, but this is simply not voter supression.. This paperwork is not confusing, there is no reason why someone should have left clearly marked areas empty...
    what difference does it make?? well alot of difference because the law states that registrations that are not filled out properly can't be counted.. its not rocket science.. its filling out the parts of the form that the form clearly identifies as required!!

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still can't hear the falls.

Why is the voter form like that? You're being very legalistic.

OK, let's say you're the secretary of state in Arizona. What do YOU put on a registration card?

Me, I get name, address, date of birth, and a signature. On the form, there's something saying, if you sign this form, you're swearing to XYZ. What else is necessary? And if it's not necessary, why is it required?

23. Kelly Vargas

Kelly Vargas New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Scottsdale, Az
    I believe that they were trying to make it simple, thats why they had all the sections clearly marked as required... it wasnt like there was a box and a place to sign just to say you were a citizen.. The line at the bottom was to certify that you were a citizen, but also that you would protect the constitution, etc, etc.. you can say i just "dont hear anything the falls" but i really dont see anything wrong with the form or the enforcement of the law regarding the proper completion of it..