Rules of a free kick

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by king_saladin, Nov 27, 2004.

1. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Why are defenders allowed to come closer than 10 yards from the free kick spot?

10 yards is the rule, right?

Well, whenever I see the referee tell the defenders where to line up, they move steps closer immediately afterwards. (and if the ref doesn't tell them where to line, they always line up a 2-5 yards closer than they are supposed to) And when the ball is about to be kicked, at least one defender runs at it, and comes about 5 yards from the ball before it is actually kicked.

Surely this is against the rules, right?
    If it is, why is it never called?

2. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    It is against the rules. I am not sure why they don't call persistent infringement for the infraction. Also, walking from behind the spot, by the ball, in front of the ball, to a distance 10 yards in front is also a delay tactic that prevents the taking of free kicks, and this is never enforced. (The rule is 10 yards in all directions, if I recall correctly.)

Post this question in the Referee forum. You will get more and better answers.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes it's an infringement. To answer your question about why it's allowed ... well, it just is. Part of life. There's no rhyme or reason for it, it's just the way it is.

4. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

What i used to do if they charge you down as you run up, is to step over the ball and run straight into them, hopefully hurting them in the process. Serves them right for not getting back 10 yards.... Ref cannot do anything really as it was thier own fault for running into me!

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thats what Nobby Solano used to do all the time for Alan Sheare.

6. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Much like obstruction at the byline.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, as was pointed out, thats the way it is.

Also, are you sure you're not getting a tad confused between direct and indirect kicks?

Running full steam at an indirect free kick before the ball is belted is not against the rules.
    Often the slightest of touches from the first player (required) makes it 'live' and before the ball is lashed at the goal several players will try to charge it down.

8. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Thanks for mentioning it... I didnt' even know there was a ref forum!
    I originally figured I would post this here, because I always saw it in EPL games, and didn't know if it was common in other leagues.

Ha, watching this weekend's game between Juventus and Inter, a player did charge really early. He even pulled off a tackle. But he ended up getting a yellow card, and got stepped on by the kicker.

What a beautiful sport. :rolleyes:

No, I understand the indirect kick thing. But I see how you could think I'm getting confused with that