Ruiz paid $40,000 a year

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wufc, Jul 11, 2005.

1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...you may have to wait awhile.....

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. We won't even be exclusively SSSd until 2010 or so. Until then, there will be significant red somewhere.

THEN you have to build towards the kinds of income that you see in Europe. That won't be easy, either.

3. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Anyone know if Ruiz has tried out for any teams in Europe? Seems like his team assumes he is going to end up there, or else they would not still be paying him.....

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I understand he tried out with a couple of English teams last pre season and for whatever reason it didn't work out...

5. BWogs

BWogs New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Kansas City
    I seem to remember that one of his trials got off to a rough start when he overslept and was late for the first practice. I want to say it was with Wolverhampton.

6. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah, that might turn a coach off :rolleyes:

So is he back with the team to play tomorrow?

7. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ridiculous. Carlos has been perhaps the most prolific goal-scorer and the biggest clutch scorer in league history, and the only guy that can actually score off bicycle kicks, and he's being paid like a rookie!

MLS needs to clean up these disparities. There are several on the top ten paid list that don't deserve that much money, but to leave Ruiz in the dust like this is insulting.

The guy has several good years left in him, so why would HSG blow the opportunity to have the most potent tandem attack in the league year after year? I don't get it.

It's somewhat similar to the treatment that Pat Noonan is getting. The guy is one of the top 3 goal scorers most of the year, kept New England on top during Twellman's injury, is one of the most talented dribblers in the league, and he is dangerous in the air, yet he makes peanuts.

I agree that it is impressive to the kids that Donovan and EJ can get a million with their endorsements, but it doesn't look good to treat everyone else like they don't even matter.

At least make the contracts so that they contain performance bonuses or incentives so the players don't feel that they're getting screwed.

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know FCD hasn't tried to sign him to a longer deal and Ruiz has turned them down?

Serisouly, I Don't know the answer. But there are 3 possibilities.
    1. no one talked to anyone about it on either side.
    2. Ruiz asked for more money and FCD said you have a deal play it out.
    3. FCD went to him to do a long term dela and Ruiz turned it down.

I don't know which it is, is there a report or link I missed that says which is the case?

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the understanding that while in LA, he was trying to get to Europe. I don't ever recall hearing about any new contract discussions (I'll ask.)

It wouldn't surprise me if both sides said, "Let's see how this season works out, but if it goes well, we'd like to work something out."

The fact is, though, that it is MLS that does the contract negotiations.

I think clearly we all want GE to do everything they can to re-sign Carlos, EJ or no EJ.

But a lot of this is premature - let's see how the season plays out. Both could be on their way to Europe in the winter transfer window if we go out in a blaze of glory.

10. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    There's also the possibility that he DOES have performance incentives. The salary information released just included the guaranteed money, there could be a lot of performance based incentives for a lot of players that were not included.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone responded on the LA board to say that Ruiz had been approached before about renegotiation but he turned them down. This may have been before he tried his wares in England....

12. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt that GE already has this up as his number one priority for the postseason.

That does not mean he could accomplish it.

If any of the big leagues in Eruope or South America wanted him, he would not be in hoops this year. He would have been gone two years ago.

I would think his best bet would be Mexico. Teams there can offer more than the maximum here, easily. Then again, he would have to live in the part of Mexico that is not Cabo San Lucas. That part of Mexico is not that nice.

I do not care how much Carlos is getting paid right now. It is not enough. the salary cap might go up next year, and FCD will get some cap releif from Oscar's impending retirment. Wahtever else needs to be done must be. The core of this team must be kept together.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot, vox fatum and healer of the Goddess Divia

FCDORF. I do, I will.

13. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    IF Carlos can be convinced to re-sign, it's Ruiz or Vanney in 2006 but not both. Salary cap.

Given the cracks that may be appearing in our defense, this is not necessarily such an easy choice to make.

14. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whilst I disagree with that, as there are a number of moves that could be made in order to keep not only Ruiz and Vanney, but a number of other core players as well, the more I think about it, the less I beleive it will be a problem.

The salary cap, not on the team, but rather on individual players that are not young Americans ensures he will be looking for greener pastures, and he will find them in Mexico.

There are some bright spots. That will giove FCD an MPA, so CC will be looking right away. Wonder how that stiker in England is doing....

Carlos, further, is playing for a job in Mexico. I expect some heroics.

Do not expect to see him next year, however, unless you watch MFL.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot, vox fatum and healer of the Goddess Divia

FCDORF. I do, I will.

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salary cap moves that can be made to make this work:
    Jolley
    Cassar
    Oscar(going to happen anyway)
    worst case scenario - Talley
    extreme worst case scenario - Rhine (assuming that Moor, Alvarez and Mina show they can handle themselves)

None of these are desireable moves, but if its got to be done, its got to be done.

The losses of Talley and Oscar would be balanced by the return of Richard and addition of Wilson.

Jolley - tough one. Moor needs to mature more before he and Goodson can handle the middle in short stints while Vanney is out. That leaves right back as a gap....

Cassar - a backup who can start in this league is a luxury that maybe we can't afford....

But I think the bigger issue is the one that I think Peter is alluding to - the number over the cap that Ruiz would need to stay. Dallas can offer up all they can (league max) and it still might not be enough. It would then fall on the league to decide to pay the difference, and I'm not sure they would be willing to do that. I sure as hell hope that they would, but it isn't a certainty.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I would be surprised if the competition committee would refuse this. He's been the leading scorer in MLS since he's entered the league. A former MVP and a MLS Cup winner. His goals are regularly featured in league highlight videos. If ever there was a case to go beyond the max for a player I would think Ruiz is it. I suppose the only thing that would make them hesitate would be that we already have one "over max" player in EJ. If the feeling is that EJ is only here until he is sold, then maybe the argument can be made to re-sign Ruiz. It'll be interesting....that's for sure.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could take the tact that (A) only one "over-max" player per team, or (B) we'd rather spend "over-max" money on US players, or (C) one of the "entitlement-a-hole teams [LA, Metro, etc.]" could say "But WE need that money."

:(

18. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy choice - I always go with goals.

I would pay Ruiz - then worry about everyone else.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're mistakenly acting like MLS is a true single entity.

If HSG gives the thumbs up, then Carlos Ruiz can remain in Dallas with a nice fat deal, should he want to remain.

20. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Excellent point.

I feel as though EJ is a greater 'prospect' for overseas clubs, and that Ruiz can be paid his value and stay in MLS.

You may have been prescient here - measuring the trend of young U.S. prospects having a go at foreign soil, while Carlos is a foreign player with a trend of being a MLS player we can keep.

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chances of that are......

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That HSG would give the thumbs or that Pescadote would want to stay?

If it's the former, then the answer lies in the breadth and depth of the revenue streams generated at the northeast corner of Main Street and Dallas Parkway.

If it's the latter, then the answer lies in how much money is thrown in his direction.

23. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The choice might not be as easy as it looks now after a few more hattricks given up in stoppage time. God forbid, but I am less sure about this defense every day.

24. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    ElJefe - is it really the team owners decision to decide to pay a player over the $280k figure? Or are you just saying that even though it's the league's decision, if the ownership pushes it enough, they'll get their way?

I agree with most of you that it would be a shame for Ruiz not to be offered what he is worth next year. If he decides to play in Mexico or Europe when he is given a good offer by MLS, that's one thing. But if he decides to play somewhere else because MLS basically refused to pay him close to his fair value (at least in MLS terms), that's a sorry statement.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been stated that the decisions on players who are over the max are made at the league's ownership level. Now, given that, it's easy to envision several ways that that could play out. Perhaps the league ownership as a whole would decide that keeping Carlos Ruiz in the league would be a priority and the added costs would be assumed by all the owners. Perhaps only HSG would feel that way and assume the added costs themselves. There are a few other possible scenarios, but if HSG feels that the revenues justify it and if they make it a priority and if there were a reasonable number at which Ruiz would stay in MLS, then he'll stay.

As I've said, MLS is a single entity, but at times, it's not. There's a reason why AEG was willing to pay the money in March to have Landon Donovan playing for their team based in their facility in Carson, when they wouldn't pay the money in November to keep Landon Donovan playing for their team that rents a stadium in San Jose.