Ruiz paid $40,000 a year

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wufc, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    lets hope so.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

that would make him pretty dumb

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I imagine 40 grand goes a bit further in Guatemala than it does in Dallas....(and certainly in L.A. ).....and Ruis probably thought it was a lot of money at the time....it's this sort of totally out of whack salary stuff that helped kill off the NASL.....if the league and/or Dallas had any balls they would rip up his current deal and pay the man closer to what he's worth....which is a hell of a lot more than 40 grand....

4. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Municpal is a well loved Club in guate ,you grow up with that team , Mls i think owns most of the contract anyway.

5. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    there landscaper that make more money than that, i would be pissed, if i found out im worth more ,

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    you make some good points....how can Landycakes and Adu be worth 20 times what Ruis is ?....Ruis is arguably better than either of them....the fate of the NASL beckons.....

7. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Lol ,Landy Cakes, thats got to be the Gayest name ever, who came up with that one? ruiz is more than adu, but worth as much as landy cakes( I could'nt help it).. :D

8. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I've been drinking alot recently.

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know who came up with that, but I started hearing it/using it back in about 2002 or so when he was clearly the best player in the league for a couple seasons and didn't want to go to Europe.

And your description of it is why we all use it.

10. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Adu is pretty gay we should come with name for him. ive seen him at Umd once or twice, and i got friends who chilled with him, before he got cuaght drinking, that guy is real uptown richboy,acts like an oreo, i am a black guatemalan so i think i can getaway with saying that. supposedly his mother was already banks good dough even when he played for the hieghts

landy cakes, i can picture some la fan talking about ld to another fan , and sayin it.. :) i bet they love it

11. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Ruiz should play out his contract... and then if the offer from MLS is not good enough then he should seek new pastures... that's the name of the game. The fish is not being screwed by MLS, no one forced him to sign the contract that he signed.... Like I said before, if he (Ruiz) was making League max and scored 0 goals, would he give part of the money back? Players, and I mean any player and in any sport and in any league where organized labor or players syndicates are involved will never ever approve a merit/performance salary structure. The closest that has come to happen is in MLB w/ Arbitration and the owners are hating every minute of it (MLBPA did not ask for arbitratioin). A player is only worth what he/she is able to negotiate...

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Ruiz makes $70,000 before any bonuses, so yes MLS technically owns most, but not by much. He's still making over 40% of his money from his Guatemalan club. And no one knows what he's making with bonuses and endorsements.

13. asflagg

asflagg Member

Sep 6, 2003
    Well, if it comes down to a choice between Ruiz or Johnson, I would say keep Ruiz. IMO he's a more talented player and now Johnson seems overly expensive.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    If Ruiz signs it will be at, over, or damn near, league max. Which means both players are equally "expensive" from a salary cap standpoint. In addition, the selling of either would result in FC Dallas getting an allocation as compensation....again, a wash. So it comes down to which one gives you more on the field of play. That's a tough one.....personally I'd go with Ruiz if I was forced.

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are three players on this team that make it what it is. Ruiz, ROB and Simo. Anything beyond that is gravy. Obviously, we have a LOT of gravy around here - EJ being the cream of the crop - but no way EJ learns the kind of "I'm putting the team on my back" leadership/finishing that Ruiz has.

I think Mulrooney would also fit in that group if he were healthy.

But of those players, Ruiz is, I think, the most important. He is the difference maker, the finisher, the guy who when he puts the team on his back scores the winning goal. Not to say that ROB or Simo aren't incredibly important. But they oftentimes can't finish on their own - esp. Simo.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the FO has one mission for this off-season, it is to re-sign Ruiz. Do whatever it takes, other than cutting any of the following: ROB, Simo, EJ, Mulrooney. I'd rather keep Vanney, but if I had to choose between him and Carlos, I'd say "See ya', Greg" faster than I can type it. Same on any other player. (Yes, we have yet to see Wilson, but with the other guys we have, I'd say no matter how good he is - unless he is better than one of those four, which would be insane... - he is worth letting go.)

We have young talent everywhere else we need it. We're in great shape - as good as NE. No other team is close. Imagine this group playing together for three solid years. Wow.

But the guy who is the cherry on top is Ruiz. IMO, anyway.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course (if you followed the other thread. :) )...

I would take EJ.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen that pucker factor goal from him just yet, that Mr. Clutch that you get with Carlos. When I see it, I'll be with you. Until then, I'm not. Call it the Michael Jordan factor, if you will. MLS (and the World Cup) come down to playoffs, not the marathon. You need someone who can pull a Kill the Cavs play when the time is right.

I know Ruiz has that in him.

If Fast Eddie does, then g-d.....

18. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Ruiz's agent?

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....Harry Redknapp...?

20. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Simple truth.

Ruiz bleeds 'clutch'. I've noticed people kind-of 'expect' EJ to execute; so when EJ gets that critical shot to win the game, the hype preceeds the outcome.

But when Carlos gets the chance; people actually 'feel' the same PASSION that he oozes from every pore of his being. When Carlos scores a big goal; YOU score a big goal.

The rapport is freakin' amazin'!.. exactly what the bicycle-heard-round-the-world awoke.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz is clutch.

But EJ has vast upside. He COULD be the best this country has ever produced. Which is why I take him. Upside and potential.

22. FC Dallas

FC Dallas New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Great, isn't it? This is why my only request for GE was to do whatever it took to bring in Carlos to pair with EJ. The combined dynamics of EJ and Carlos is world-class... and we haven't even begun to see the best of it.

Talk about upside potential!!!

(I'm having a soccer orgasm!) :eek:

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos is young enough that for the two to four years he would play under the new contract, we would KNOW we had Mr. Clutch up top.

EJ, otoh, hasn't shown it. Maybe I'm too jaded, but that kind of thing is too rare to hope for it to happen. It may very well, but that whole bird in hand thing.

24. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    I'd say it was probably more of a contrast in styles. Carlos' strength is the more Latin American style, beating guys 1-on-1 off the dribble, let's give him the ball and see what he does with it kind of stuff. (And yeah it's exciting as hell to watch, as noted.)

Eddie doesn't seem very comfortable doing that, at least not at this point. We've all seen him do that thing where he's squared up on somebody, he fakes one way, then another, and...and...

EJ seems more like an aerial attack sort of striker. Most of his goals are typically either:

*they long ball it to him, he out hustles his defender and gets to it, shoots and scores;

*good service into the box, which he finds a way to convert. He's got a goal scorer's gift for being sneaky in that indescribable sort of way where the other team is aware of him, but somehow he slips away and gets open right underneath their noses. The Nats have done a good job of putting it right where he wants it so he can bury it on the first touch.

As for picking one or the other, Carlos or EJ, that's a hard one. I do know we've seen Eddie step his game up a lot in a short time, and I can't help but feel he will only keep getting better and better..

25. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    "You can't handle my guatemalan heeeeat"- from the birdcage(the movie)

where does ruiz stay during the MLS seaeson making 70K+ in texas. He proably better off now then when he was in expensive ass LA. he was proably livin a condo . does any one know what Fcdallas star striker , living arrangements are now , if you think about ,that and a large signing could be the deal breaker..

I cant wait for the Mls to have word class finacial Stabilty.