Ruiz going to the Olympics IF...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by 100fuegos, Mar 17, 2008.

1. 100fuegos

100fuegos New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Guatemala qualifies according to an interview given by the current olympic team coach on ESPN radio. He said the Ruiz would be one of the 3 over age players permited by the Olympic commitee.

Could this also affect Donovan if the US qualifies?

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. So we could be short two of the big three for the length of this meaningless tournament. Excuse me but I will not shed a tear if the US fails to qualify.

3. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Mr. Cadaver, I feel the olimpics are our most important tourney. We have a greater chance of winning, most American's wouldn't realize its inferiority. It would do much to help soccer achieve main stream status. So, I am still cheering for us this thursday

4. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I doubt they would call Donovan. The full national team has games during the same time, so they will probably call players not fully neccesary to the national team, with something still to prove- EJ for example.

2) I would hardly call the Olympics a meaningless tournament. Every game one wears the national team jersey is meaningful. You may think club is more important than country, but I bet nearly every player would disagree with you. I am sure Landon is more proud every time he pulls on the red white and blue than the teal and gold... or I guess navy and white now... :eek:

5. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first match of the CONCACAF Semi-Final Round of WCQ's is on August 20...right in the middle of the Olympics. Even more interesting is that USA will be at Guatemala if both teams get past their minnows.

I have a feeling Donovan would not go to the Olympics and miss the WCQ...it's a decision process that will start with Nowak and Bradley before Donovan has any say.

Can we say the same for Ruiz? The Olympics might be the biggest stage he ever gets to play internationally but this might be the last serious attempt for him to get to the World Cup.

Lucky Hugo Sanchez, he doesn't have to deal with the dilemma of deciding to coach the Olympic team and leave the World Cup Qualifier to an assistant coach or vice versa....maybe he won't have to worry about both. :D

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    If too many players are on Olympics duty, the WCQ game can get delayed. See: Mexico last time around.

7. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I happen to agree with you on point #2. I have heard somewhere before that the Olympics is the second most significant tourney after the World Cup. (To me, Euro is the second best tourney after the World Cup, bar none).

Having met Donovan a few times in person, I have the feeling that he is proud to represent the US. Whenever he signs an US merchandise, he would always write "USA" under his signature. And he would always do it with care, you can sense it.

Anyway, I hope I'm right because we need him motivated and proud if we want to dream big about WC2010.

Thank you Landon.

8. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect, I highly doubt that we would fall against Canada. I know that anything can happen, but we (US) do have a good squad. We'll win the whole tourney.

9. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Guatemalan myself, I'd prefer Ruiz to go to the Olympics. Sorry! Us Guatemalans have strong pride in our country and it will be a huge deal in Guatemala if we beat Honduras Thursday. There is no way Ruiz will say no to the Olympics. Our country rarely gets the opportunity to represent ourselves in sporting events. This is our "World Cup" pretty much. If we were a lock for the real World Cup I'd say no to Ruiz leaving but this might just be the biggest stage Guatemala can reach any time soon and I can't fault Ruiz if he leaves.

Should we make it to the Olympics, I hope we can re-schedule the WCQ game. We will be missing our 3 best players. Ruiz and Avila which are our strikers who can put a shot on frame and our #10 midfielder Contreras who is playing very good lately.

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Donovan will get called up to the Olympic team, simply because the position he plays already has a capable U-23 player in that spot (Adu). Now, central defenders, that's another story....

11. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, I was thinking the same thing. Freddy Adu has a very similar skill set to Donovan, and is capable of playing the same positions: Striker, behind the strikers, wing.

The US team would have Michael Bradley to bolster their CM position. I would expect them to add another CB as you mention, I think Gooch would be a good choice because he would intimidate the crap out of the other teams young players.

They may also add another pure striker, because the group gets weak after Jozy. I think EJ would be perfect here. He is still very young, and has alot to prove.

As for the third spot, I would like to see Beasley get it if he is healthy again, it would be a good way to work his back into the nats. If not, maybe a keeper, since we have so many. Howard or Guzan or Keller, with the other two going to the WCQ.

So I don't think Donovan would get the call.

12. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    God I hope you're wrong. I don't think the group gets weak after Jozy at all. Did you not watch Charlie Davies last game? Have you ever seen EJ take on players like that? I like EJ just fine. To me, the difference in talent is just so easy to recognize.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen him be fast and dive, as well as be taken to the ground. We know he can't finish for shit, which is what forwards are supposed to do

Probably why you aren't a talent scout

14. Indy footballer

Indy footballer New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call it ignorance on my part but why would they field a squad of U-23 for Olympic qualifying to cherry-pick senior team members when the games come around in China. I thought the whole point of U-23 players was to keep U-23 players on the squad throughout. If not, bring in the senior squad to play the qualifying rounds.

15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about this. Adu has shown in this qualifying campaign that he needs some help. Our attack has been less than stellar. And this is just in qualifying. Will be even more difficult once we get to the Olympics (if we get there). I think depending on two 18-year-olds (Jozy and Freddy) to lead our attack at the Olympics is asking a little too much. If Donovan is chosen, I don't think he replaces either one, but rather plays with them.

I personally want LD chosen, simply because I think he gives us the best chance of winning a medal. And that would be huge in the U.S.

FWIW, Donovan has been asked this question about going to the Olympics and he said that no one has talked to him about it yet, but that if he's asked he would love to go.

Also, I was unaware of a precedent being set of delaying a WCQ if there are too many players absent. Interesting.

16. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    I'd like to know where you heard that.

One of the things that I think has set the US apart from most of the rest of the world when it comes to soccer is the importance that we place on the Olympic tournament--historically going back years, the USSF has always taken the Olympics far more seriously than just about every other country. I don't know whether its because we figure that the Olympics are important to begin with, so the soccer is also important, or whether that it might be easier to win because other countries don't really care, but it's an area where we've always been different.

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To keep the Olympics from stealing the Word Cup's thunder, FIFA mandates that the Olympics use U-23 teams. For qualifying, the teams must keep to a 20-man roster (or in Cuba's case, an 18-man roster that magically shrinks to an 11-man roster). Then, for the actual Olympics, each team can add 3 over-age players to create the full 23-man roster.

So, typically, teams add 3 players to address the weakest areas on the team.

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly support the USMNT when they are playing in WCQ games or the WC itself. I suck it up as far as LAG goes for those REAL tournaments.

My "club over country" view is strictly personal - I CARE a lot more about LAG than I do about USMNT. I don't expect others to see it the same way - but that's where my emotional ties lie.

But as to the Olympics - the whole thing is a super hypocritical farce and I will not watch one minute of one event. The Olympic movement does not respect soccer and this is simply a tug of war between FIFA and the Olympics over...(surprise)... MONEY. FIFA will not sanction full national teams because that would detract from WC. Olympics will not treat soccer with respect because Olympics want "only the world's best athletes." (Those that haven't yet been caught doping, at least.)

So you end up with this bastardized team - U23 + 3 seniors - so, in the words of the proverb, its "neither fish nor foul nor good red meat."

I will seriously resent ANY depletion of LAG for the ultra-stupid Olympics, whether it be Ruiz, Donovan, Jazic, or anyone else.

19. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Obviously Thomas Rongen is a better coach and tactician. The U-20 team he had could have smoked this Olympic team. And the players, for the most part, are the same. Nowak isn't getting enough out of this group. And someone better point this out to Gulati before he takes over the full team.

Donovan isn't going to the Olympics. If any senior players are called in it'll most likely be euro based players.

20. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Nice proverb quote...Not. The Olympics are fun. What the guy said about what doing well in the O's is so true. You sure have a lot of pent up anger for the Olympics. Did the Olympics steal your girlfriend?

21. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't pent up anger. I let it loose whenever anybody asks me about that charade. :D I hate the Olympics and think its pompous, pious (in the worst sense) and hypocritical to the core. If it disappeared from the face of the earth, it wouldn't be missed.

22. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jazic isn't a possibility either. Nevermind the fact that Canada won't make it to the finals. Then again, I'm Not sure I'd miss him either. Not like he adds speed to our defense or anything. I'm serious about Valentin and Franklin to be honest. Ready to waive X and Vanney. Is Jordan a left footer? Many a forward have been converted before. I betcha Gordon could play central defense too.

23. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Dont you appreciate the history of the event? I think it's pretty interesting. I'm open to be persuaded. I'm curious what you find pompous, pious and hypocritical about it all.

24. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The whole thing is premised on promoting a Victorian-era ideal of "amateurism" and yet its all about money. That ideal was probably outmoded already when the modern Olympics was resurrected. And whatever "innocence" there may have been has long since been lost as the Olympics chases pros and bends the definition of amateur to suit its purposes.

2. The "history" includes a record of corruption that rivals FIFA. How many venue decisions get made because of gifts slipped under hotel room (5 star hotel rooms, only, BTW) doors?

3. It purports to be above politics - when it suits it to be above politics - but the inner workings of IOOC are as political as a Chicago ward boss's annual picnic. And, if its apolitical, why do we see tables of nations in medal counts? And you can't say that Nationalism is not paramount in all the coverage we see in the US.

4. Pious? Opening ceremony with choreographed hoopla. The "symbol" of the Olympic Flame - what is this, the Old Testament burning bush? If you don't see this as over-the-top that's fine. It makes my skin crawl.

That's just for starters

25. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Plus, there will never be an Olympics better than LA in 1984, so they might as well just stop now. :D