Rugby World Cup digital subs bring in more than $750K

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by JJ Mindset, Oct 18, 2011.

1. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  2. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    By my logic, if 5000 people are willing to pay out the nose to watch the games on a computer, a lot more (myself included) would have watched a large number of the games on a regular TV. Maybe NBC/Universal will grow a brain and air these games next time. The better time difference would help with that, soccer seems to do fairly well in the midafternoon timeslots.

3. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we can see a trend as far as ratings go with Rugby in America. There is a lot of potential there and a lot of opportunity for sponsors and broadcasters to cash in on this growing sport in the coming years.

I wonder what plans NBC Universal and Fox Soccer Plus have in place to get the average number of views over a million?

http://www.rugbymag.com/index.php?o...cast&catid=82:2011-rugby-world-cup&Itemid=264

Ratings From NBC's RWC Final Broadcast

The numbers are back on NBC's broadcast of the Rugby World Cup final between France and New Zealand Sunday. According to TVbythenumbers.com, 851,000 people tuned in for the final.

16 live sports broadcasts last week were viewed by more people. Not shockingly, NFL football, college football and the Word Series are among them. A Mexican soccer broadcast, CBS' Sports Spectacular and Skate America were ranked directly ahead of the RWC.

In terms of sheer viewers, NBC's broadcast of the Ireland vs. USA pool match actually outdrew the final by 15,000. Both broadcasts fall within 100,000 viewers of the 2011 USA Sevens and 2011 Collegiate Rugby Championship.

4. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the key here is live broadcasting, because neither the Ireland game nor the final were live on NBC. They were both tape delayed by about 12 hours, and at least here in NY the start of the Ireland game came on only seconds after the 9/11 memorial service finished while up against the first Sunday of the NFL.

I would like to see those numbers added to the numbers of people who watched the games live. I chose to wait for the Ireland game, but couldn't wait out on the final and watched it live--even pay-per-viewed it. Would be nice to see how many people watched it via other means than NBC's less than good coverage.

I think Rugby can be grown. If as they imply 700,000 people watched Sevens coverage (which was on live in part), their is a real niche for the sport. If NBC cared about anything other than a quick buck they could use the next few years to nurture that niche before the next world cup and its schedule that will probably be chock full of weekend afternoon games.

5. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree live coverage is one of the keys. What about a pre game or post show? Human interest stories about the players, coaches and teams?

NBC Universal has a foundation to build on now they just need to put more money into promoting the sport. Also the sponsors they attract why don't encourage them to invest in the grass roots game.