Rugby League vs. Union

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by nowhere, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    from what I gather, Rugby league seems to be a niche sport popular in parts of Australia and parts of England, with neither gaining the attention of the entire nation. Whereas Rugby Union is played all over the world and has famous tournaments like tri nations, six nations and the world cup and famous teams like the All Blacks, not to be confused with the Aussie basketball team called the Tall Blacks, which is also known as the Slow Whites.

I like Union better. It just seems like there is more of an emphesis on field position whereas league just seems to be rushing as fast as you can to get to the other side....but that's just my opinion.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    New Zealand style is a little roomier, sort of like the way soccer shorts are now. England style is shorter and tighter and has a drawstring waist.

Each style has its merits. New Zealand style is more comfortable but England style is harder for defenders to pull on and is harder to tear off.

http://www.rugbystore.com/shopping/displaycatalog.asp?category=2

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Excellent! Red Rhino Sports didn't offer me any info (not much anyway) about the differences.

Thanks man!

4. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Speaking of rugby and specifically the US and South America, the Eagles have a must win match tomorrow in Montevideo if they want to qualify for next year's World Cup in Australia. Having lost to relative unknowns Chile last week, the US needs to beat Uruguay and have Canada beat Chile to qualify. If the US wins but Canada loses, the Eagles would go into the repechage.

The US beat Uruguay in their final qualifying match to get into the last World Cup (where they scored the only try on Australia in the entire tournament).

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    what are the standings right now?

6. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Uruguay 10 USA 9
    Canada 29 Chile 11

Canada qualify in Pool D with New Zealand, Wales, a European Qualifier and a Repechage Qualifier

7. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is embarrassing.

8. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    New Zealand teams:
    Basketball: Tall Blacks
    Rugby: All Blacks
    Soccer: All Whites

Australia:
    B'ball: Boomers
    Rugby: Wallabies
    Soccer: Socceroos

I reckon Union is the better of the two rugby's, and I grew up in an Aussie rules state (Sth Aus.) League is just a sport for the no-necks of the country, who like to have one guy try to place two guys heads up three guys aresholes. Can't wait for the RWC in 2003

9. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    personally, i would give Lomu whatever he wanted cos he scares me so much! have you seen those thighs???!?!?!?

10. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England

Hi!

personally, most rugby fans that i know do not like US football. certain rules that you have seem to make the game easier, plus all the padding took away some of the manly emphasis of the game. i have decided this year to really try and make a go of watching and understnding the game. last year, i watched just the super bowl and thougfht it wasn't too good. i felt i had seen better rugby games at our school.

generally the idea of the game is pretty much the same in either union or league (league fan here *waves then ducks for cover* :) ) get the ball to the other end of the pitch.

the money that rugby or Aussie footballers make will be nothing like that of US players. it will be much less.

nice chatting to you

11. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    sorry but theres a league fan here *waves* i don't like the scrums in union. it ruins the flow of the game too much for me.

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    lomu is on the way down
    the man dosnt intimidate anymore
    cant defend cant pass and lately keeps falling down before he gets tackled

i hope he gets his ************ together for the rwc

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: Rugby League vs. Union

I haven't had a chance to watch him recently but he was always a suspect tackler. I'm sure age hasn't helped.

If I saw him in a dark alley, I'll just run right up to him then juke him. :D

14. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Just an update...

In RWC qualifying over the weekend Uruguay beat Chile. This sends Uruguay through to the cup, ends Chile's cinderella run, and puts the US into the repechage.

15. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    it doesn't matter that he can't pass or anything, hes just over a foot taller than i am and his thighs are bigger than my older brothers waist!