Rugby: 6 Nations 2004 [R]

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by CelticOnFire, Feb 7, 2004.

1. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Game of the week

The absolute bang-on statement of the first two rounds of fixtures. If they haven't got anyone to replace Neil Back yet he should play. End of.

2. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    France sure did a great job chosing an opponent to play like crap aganist.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ireland 36 - Wales 15

The Welsh renaissance takes a bit of a hammering, Ireland recovered well after losing against France. Will be interesting to see what happens in the Wales - France game, can they bounce back from this? I think the Ireland - England game will be a good one.

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Game of the week

Chris Jones is a great talent and Neil Back's time has passed. Best to blood the new players, let them learn and build experience for the next World cup.

It was the backs who didn't impress me much, Gomarsall and Grayson are ok but not top quality enough, they can't provide enough good service to the others. I also think Balshaw is a bit lightweight for fullback, I'd rather have Lewsey back there.

5. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    well i said england due to a solid 2 years, but i think that france will be the team with the hottest form and win the comp.

6. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    We played well against Wales, but their tackling was poor. I fear the worst against England.

7. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Don't know anything about Rugby.. What is 6 Nations, anyway? Same teams every year or do you have to do qualifiers?

BTW, I voted for England. World Champs, right? They've got to be the favorites..

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same teams every year, England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales. It was the five nations up until a few years ago when Italy were admitted and was the four nations originally (without France).

I don't think any other European nations are strong enought to compete yet, but the idea of two divisions with the likes of Romania, Spain and Georgia being brought in could only strenghthen these smaller rugby playing nations and bring a bit more meaning to the games towards the end of the tournament where teams have nothing but pride riding on them. It woud probably mean Italy yo-yoing up and down for a few years, but the others would get a more regular chance at the big five. This in turn would strengthen the World Cup. I can't see it happening though, the six nations would have to share some of their money from the tournament with the new guys.

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    England 13-19 Ireland
    -Twickenham

10. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Well done, Ireland! D'Arcy was superb today, glad I put a small stake on Ireland @ 8/1 :D

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh yeah! Historic win for Ireland; I'm never going to forget this one (but it may all see ma bit hazy tomorrow morning). O'Driscoll didn't play too well, but was watched as the danger man. D'Arcy & O'Gara were sensational, both giving their best Irish performances of their careers. We just smashed the English up front and dominated lineouts for the first hour. After ManU's victory today, then Ireland being the first team to beat the World Champon English team in 22 matches & 5 or so years.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was all about the lineouts, Ireland were superb at winning theirs and stealing England's. That was what really decided the game, long kicks in the corner and then a turnover. Quite a poor and scrappy game in technique, but excellent drama.

Means only France now have a chance to win the Grandslam, but the Six Nations title can still go down to the last game.

13. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    BAM!

Told you ALL!

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: BAM!

Actually you told us Ireland would win the whole thing and England wouldn't, that hasn't happened yet. Today's result only means that England can't now win the Grand Slam (the term for winning every game in the 6 Nations), only France have a chance now, but the 6 Nations title itself is still up for grabs.

15. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wales 22 France 29

Very good game. Wales had the better of the first half, France gave away so many penalties for offside but right before the break they got a try which put them just ahead of the Welsh 13-12.

In the second half France played a lot better, particularly in the lineout and scrum. They stretched out the lead with a try from what looked a slightly forward pass, although it was good skill to create it. Near the end Wales got a try back and had a last minute surge, not to be though.

16. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Well done Ireland on beating England. Great game. Howe was brilliant.

17. Old Cosmos Fan

Jun 8, 2002
    Originally NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy was i wrong about Ireland.

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, you were only half wrong here. Ireland were well beaten by France in the first match.

So we have another fortnight off, then it's England Vs Wales, Scotland Vs France, and Ireland Vs Italy in the penultimate matches. France are clear at the top of the standings, the favorites and should surely beat Scotland, but the title can still go to England if they beat Wales and France, or to Ireland if England beat France and Ireland beat Italy and Scotland. In these scenarios the team with the biggest positive points difference would then win. At present France are +50. England are +57 and Ireland are +9.

19. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Will be a fascinating finale at the Stade de France. Should be a tight game, a likely winning margin of 10 points or less either way. France are the favorites as they should have more first choice inform players out there and are at home, England are missing a few players particularly at fly half, but won the last big clash in the World Cup.

21. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    France-England: 24-21

WHAT a GAME!!!

France wins the tournament with a grand slam, but....WHAT
    a GAME this was!!!

Congrat's to England for coming back sooo close at the end
    after having been completely dominated in the first half (half-
    time score was 21-3). They sure made it a thriller.
    Respect!

22. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

France!? They just won the Grand Slam.