RUCKRUNDE: 2020

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by LuckyStriker, Jan 25, 2020.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing result. As Kicker likes to say "hart aber vertretbar" about Plea's red. Ugh.

2. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    my day echoed in this match: it started quite promisingly but ended in frustration
    first hour was very very good (should have scored though, more fine-tuning at the cannons please!))... total domination and good ball-circulation, I really was impressed especially as I had seen L'kusen at the same location a week before... but at the end they have the 3 points and we have not

there is B. at the top and then there are four others (Borussia one of them which is an excellent achievement) and then there is the rest of the league... still I more and more get the feeling that at the end we might jump just a little bit too short in order to create total euphoria
    Plea is repeatedly doing great things... and repeatedly doing stupid things (first yellow), if he doesn't get that under control he is never gonna make it big
    I'm done with soccer this weekend...

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll end up fifth best. But we shall see. Was hoping for CL, but yesterday hurts that a bit. The real killer was the draw vs Leipzig when we had it won.

4. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    exactly!

the last two matches? a 4-point yield would have been well-deserved!
    instead we got nothing and 4th place is gone... for the moment at least
    we pressed them (24 wins out of 27 under Flick, Borussia accounts for one of the defeats) in their dinghy-arena and had 50% possession also ... what a change of attitude compared to last season!
    SZ (Munich) opened their article with: "Gladbach temporarily forced Bayern into an outsider role"

Thuram, Plea (and Zak) out tomorrow... and Embolo far from 100% fit
    luck / destiny / the soccer gods... whatever, have turned against us

well, it's hard to write this but I mean it: go goats go!

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that offside call was sooooo close.

6. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not bad for Rose and Co eh? Only 1 point separates us from CL...question is have we built that kind of monster mentality to achieve this?o_O:rolleyes::sneaky::eek::alien::devilish::ninja:

7. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    good question!
    Rose told the team doesn't anymore need to prove it to him (seem he already knows ;-)
    to be honest I lost hope when L'kusen passed by... but now the signs have startlingly changed again... and unfortunately might change again... but the team has guts that's for sure: we are playing without our two best scorers and without Zak but everybody is just performing instead of complaining... at the time of the restart I didn't expect at all to become emotionally involved like I am now
    the billy goats were a disappointment (as always) but Hertha handed in a straight performance even though they didn't need the points and they didn't need the money now that the Windhound is backing them... but I don't want to start a laudation because we face Hertha on Saturday...

"Borussia Mönchengladbach is a model club. All acting people are unpretentious and do not want to take the center stage. Whether it is Rainer Bonhof, Hans Meyer or the president, Mr. Königs. Hardly anyone knows him. And that is positive! And Max Eberl and Marco Rose are making the soccer related decisions. It just has to be that way."
    “I would also like to raise the subject of waiving of salaries at Gladbach. Borussia Mönchengladbach was also a role model there. Pioneer. After five-days of the pandemic Borussia Mönchengladbach announced that the team would, I believe, forego 20 percent of the salary. ... That was without a fight or anything. And that's why this team, this club, deserves to get into the Champions League. ”

[Friedhelm Funkel, who has 830 Bundesliga-matches to his credit (player & coach), none of them for Gladbach]
    the thing is: you don't always get what you deserve ;-)

acc. to media Gladbach has placed a 8M bid for Maina (H96) and a 25M bid for the Canadian Jonathan David (both rejected)
    they claim Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen, Arsenal, Manchester United, Olympique Lyon, FC Porto, Ajax Amsterdam, AC Milan and Inter Milano are interested, too (I don't know which of them is really interested and which of them the player's management wants us to start believing they are interested)... apparently the player prefers to play Bundesliga next season

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...ach-french-defender-next-umtiti-11416#new_tab
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/52981581

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  8. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    interesting article about Jonathan David:
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/socc...joining-the-soccer-worlds-one-percenters.html
    don't know if Borussia is really interested but the spread amount of the bid (25M) sounds overstated of course: a) in times of COVID-19 and b) for a 'Belgian' player and c) for a club like Borussia
    "But no one can say for sure at the moment because the coronavirus has largely shuttered the soccer business, like many businesses. David, who’s been training in Belgium, has signalled he’d be most interested in making a jump to the Bundesliga. But with the market-setting likes of the English Premier League still dark — and the still-unknown economic fallout of the pandemic adding layers of murkiness to the situation — exactly where and when he’ll be on the move, and for how much, is anyone’s guess. Gent, which will have a big say in the matter, has said it would like to keep him for another year."

two (more corona-adjusted) loan rumors, too:
    Marko Grujic (two seasons for Hertha, Klopp would be the lender)
    Hannes Wolf (of RB, former Rose disciple)

9. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wold makes more sense and doable due to Rose's connection.....no player with a 25mil price tag is worth for a club like Borussia...Max can spread that money and bring more young talent...and let's be true here he has been very successful in that

;):D:eek::ROFLMAO:o_O:alien::devilish::ninja:

10. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    agree, it's true we've spent in that range in the case of Plea but that was another time (pre-covid), another player (with a more reliable aka longer history) and another (better) league...

so, today is the day!
    for a change I watched the press conference... boring as usual... when those journalists wring their questions out of their mind I always have to ask myself: 'Are they getting paid for this?'
    Rose told that they are going for a win, not a draw... and that it was a 'normal' training week without super-extra-actions/methods
    I guess the extra is the motivational work he does pre-game and especially his ability to uphold a certain kind of looseness
    what I don't like: some media seem to think that getting this last point is nothing more than a formality... they are already fantasizing about the CL-money (well, it's massively important that's for sure, next season there is another nouveau riche contender in the league: it's todays opponent)
    thank god we have smart players:
    Q: How important would CL be for the development of the team and how would you classify it in your career?
    Jantschke: Not at all because it's simply hypothetical.

L'kusen's goalie revealed his/their plan:
    1. hope for a Mainz team that isn't at 100% now that they are save
    2. an early goal to put pressure on Borussia
    3. hope for many Hertha-corners because they are very good at that
    but at the end he says it's Gladbach who decide at which place they finish

Piatek is dangerous, Ibisevic (most likely benched; greedy because still playing for a new contract) always is and then there is Cunha

Plea maybe deployable, either way not a starter I guess

well, this is banal but I write it anway: we need attitude and we need to keep cool (and some match luck wouldn't be bad either: we all know what harm a deflected shot or a doubtable penalty can cause)

some supporters have to protect themselves... the excitement!... they can't handle it... they don't watch... maybe VT, or some kind of distraction... a bike ride or taking a walk... ok, I'm not at that point... yet...

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, from what I can tell, we will not be able to watch it on Fox (unless one has Fox Sports Plus).

Hoping for the best. I do have one "fantasy"--that we would draw Liverpool in the CL. But we'll have to (a) make it first and then (b) make it through the qualifying round(s).

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    did I miss a rule change? there are no qualifying rounds IF we get this last point... as far as I know... or do you see the group stage as qualifying for the inevitable final Borussia - L'pool? ;-)))

did you make it: are you on-site?

13. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    2nd minute and 1.+2. have already come true :-(
    I hope they don't win double-digit...

14. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Kramer - Breeeeeeelll - Hofmann (on fire)
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

15. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    1-0 at half time, that's good
    just mediocre finishing would have led to a 3 goal advantage, that's not so good (hope we're not paying the price afterwards)

16. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    18-1 shots on goal, front-of-goal-performance is borderline ridiculous in the meantime
    why are they doing this to me/us?

17. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    #142 Bananenflanke, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    2-0

WE
    ARE
    IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (99,99%)

3rd place at the moment

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that 4th place took one to a qualifying round. I know we were in one once.

19. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    yes we were, but Bundesliga by now has a 'save' 4th CL-place (because of the UEFA-coefficient if I remember correctly)

D'dorf is down

Ibisevic scored

Raffa is captain

and.....

P L O P P !!!
    (that was the champagne)

20. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly my thought ...makes the two of us...i wish years ago instead of getting into medicine and physiotherapy i would know getting into news and media would be such an easy piece of cake..i always tell people do these guys actually get paid for doing this job????

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamburg managed to screw up promotion again...

22. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    guess staff & players are getting asked more interesting questions when they visit hospitals or elementary schools...

p.s.
    did you hear anything from Lucky? did the virus just killed his interest in sports like he announced?... hope he & his wife are well...

23. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Hecking’s HSV, the flagship of Germany’s 2nd biggest city, stays down while Heidenheim a community of barely 50.000 and poor as a church mouse get the chance to qualify for Bundesliga (they will not but still...)

after restart I read an article about HSV’s style of play, it stated “disconcertion, lack of courage, slow pace and safety soccer”… ok, that sounded familiar... remember how negligent and lethargic we wasted our CL-chance last season ?
    and again a Hecking team run out of breath at the end of the season...
    we needed a change on the coaching position in order to make a step forward… Eberl acted and got the best guy (& the best coaching team) available, thanks for that (and for the players, too!)

speaking of Eberl: he told that CL-money is mostly to soften the damage of covid-19 and that there will be no spectacular acquisitions… you can file this as the usual understatement... but then again: what do we know about a 2nd wave, what do we know about an (inescapable) new virus and more specific: at which point exactly will spectator revenues kick in again? not the time to loan too far out of the window financially (TV-money is down already for the next years) …
    [big bad butcher's S04 already announced a self-imposed salary cap... what a club! … more than 200M in debt… finances + social behaviour + soccer performance! can external presentation become more of a desaster?]
    ok, downsizing the whole thing seems to be the right thing to do... hopefully more sports less money talk...

summer-transfermarket should be extra-sleepy (most leagues are still running for weeks) and in autumn when clubs are trying to streamline their rosters there will be a flood of players on the market... I can already hear it: 'take three and you get one for free'...

24. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    not exactly hot news but three profiled Borussia-players are saying farewell, thanks to all of them!

1) Fabian Johnson
    I will always keep him in mind as a Favre-player; it was him who brought the best out of Fabian and the best was what we call a ‘Strukturspieler’: a 'connector' who maybe isn’t standing out on his own but who gives the whole thing more meaning, who works the ground on which players like Raffa or Reus could do their magic… there is no great team without this kind of player...
    unfortunately his weak spot was his body (some say he was satisfied too easily but I can’t judge that from my desk), in his last seasons he was a more or less permanent guest at the docs

2) Tobias Strobl
    even more a player who often was kind of ‘invisible’, at least for the just occasional or desultory soccer-watcher... but in real soccer his strategical abilities, his leadership on and off the field and his attitude are important ingredients… and although he was limited technically he was able to play these long balls on the point
    unfortunately his weak spot always was his speed (or the lack of it)

3) Raffael Caetano de Araújo

Raffa was the player who left his mark on his own era: the Raffael-era
    he was the most important Borussia-player of the last decade: 14.801 minutes, 201 matches, 71 goals, 35 assists
    ‘Papi’ always was restrained and modest but on the field he was a threat… you always had the feeling to watch a specially gifted human who could give you a magic moment you do not often witness in soccer… and when we played Barcelona he outshined Neymar
    I would have liked to see him more in his last season but the high-attacking, running-intensive style did not perfectly suit him, especially not at an age of 35
    he was close to score a final goal in the last match of the season and in this case, as Hofmann remarked, even the cardboard dummies on the stands would have freaked out
    he built a house in the region, his family got the German citizenship and he will come back for a well-deserved and proper farewell when the supporters are back
    a few seconds of his provisional adoption (at 23:00):

and some magic moments:

25. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    "the question of leaving does not arise" (Zakaria)

https://www.tribalfootball.com/arti...adbach-move-for-west-ham-rebel-ngakia-4332318

season is coming to an end, this evening the placenta: relegation, 2nd part...
    curious to see who completes Borussia's bunch of opponents next season

3r new entrance could be Heidenheim if they beat Bremen (with Sargeant) ... the first match was so bad that more or less neither of them looked like deserving a place... but not a clear matter at all (like I assumed) ... the outsider's coach Schmidt was born in 100 metre distance from Heidenheim's tiny stadium, after his professional career he joined them as player in Verbandsliga (6th tier, there are hundreds of clubs) and sooned started coaching them... he is now in his 13th year and moved them from Oberliga into Regionalliga, into 3. Liga and finally 2. Bundesliga without being notably pampered with money... a totally grounded and likeable guy who says the style of play has to fit the location of play (Heidenheim is a working class town)... a nice story but I have no clue how they plan to survive in the league (in the case of...) ... S'gart and HSV burned 20 headcoaches in the time of Schmidt's reign I read... 20 each!

1st new entrance is the club of the city which is rumored to not exist at all, 2nd is S'gart with the first truly American headcoach at German top tier, interesting quote here of their director of sports: "Our path will not come to an end in one year but in three at the earliest. And Rino will be the trainer with whom we will work" ... "Personally I will not question this coach in the event of a bad start to the season or a possible relegation battle."

well, as I said, Borussia's new opponents ;-)