Ruch Chorzów

Discussion in 'Poland' started by albionroad, Feb 20, 2008.

1. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://albionroad.com/club-profiles/ruch-chorzow.html

Hello. I'm working on the Ruch Chorzów profile for my website and have a few questions. If anyone has any information, I'd really appreciate it.

1. What does Ruch mean in the context of the team? I found a lot of different translations but not sure which one is really appropriate.

2. The early name - Ruch Wielkie Hajduki. Again, any kind of translation help would be appreciated. My understanding of hajduk is something like a bandit, though it has a more positive meaning than in English. More like Robin Hood.

3. My perception is that Bismarckhütte was the German name for the city of Chorzów for a period of time but I could be wildly wrong.

4. The nickname HKS, Hutniczy KS. My guess is this is something like the Pittsburgh Steelers. Any confirmation?

5. Any particular reason they have the colors blue and white?

Any help is appreciated!

2. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have done a little more reading before posting. Hajduki Wielkie was the name of a small town where the club was founded. It was later merged into the larger conglomeration of Chorzów.
    Bismarckhütte is the name of an iron works in the area and, before joining with Chorzów, Nowe Hajduki and Hajduki Wielkie merged and took the name of Bismarckhütte.

3. ajsU3C

ajsU3C New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Warszawa, Poland
    1. Well "Ruch" means exactly "Movement" but in context of Ruch Chorzów, when they where establishing the team it was more icw the Silesian Uprising movements.

2. just to add a lil' - Hajduki Wielkie is now a district in Chorzów - CHrzów Batory

4. Ur close with the guess about Steelers albionroad, but HKS meaning Hutniczy Klub Sportowy is more like Steelworkers Sports Club. Its also worth to mention that HKS was never officialy a part of the clubs name.

5. I think they just chose the colors thats all. No reaseon. But I may be wrong...

4. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks asjU3C. I appreciate the info. I've been able to find stuff in English on most Polish teams but Ruch has been a struggle!

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could someone please lead me to any websites where I can purchase a Ruch Chorzów shirt or authentic kit?

6. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    check this out:
    http://www.niebiescy.pl/sklep/

this is the direct link to the jersey and track suit page:
    http://sklep.niebiescy.pl/index.php/cPath/35

don't know how good your Polish is but you should be able to get around the site ok

and don't mind all the underwear on the front page, that's just the new merchandise that they're showcasing!

7. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I went to that site, but I was hoping to get the current shirt they are wearing so I can pimp it out around town. Well, I can settle for a shirt from that site though. As long as I have it before they have there Polish Festival here in Toledo.